secret of my success

turbodog

Flashaholic
I stole this thread title from the movie title starring Michael J Fox, in case you're wondering.

It seems that there's some crow-eating going on, so I figured I might as well join in.

At various times in various threads above and below ground, I have boasted a little about being busy (at work) and having plenty of $ to play around with.

Well, as much as I *thought* my success was a product of my hard work, it has been painfully shown to me that it is not. Don't read too much into that. I still believe in hard work, honesty, etc as companions to any man.

I am simply saying that I was trying to hog all the credit, usually in an effort to make a point in the thread in which I was posting. To use a common-saying, I had gotten a little too big for my britches.

So what gives? What am I talking about? Some of you probably know exactly what I am talking about. I'm talking about my faith in God, and not giving credit to him (publicly) for the good things in my life.

I can (and have) look back over the past year or so and see that every time I boasted about my success and blessings being a SOLE product of my hard work and determination, he has been showing me that that is not the case. Every time I made a post extolling my virtues, my income dropped about 25% (overnight/immediately).

I haven't been "punished" per se. I'm healthy and my family is doing well. It's more like "not as easy" as it was, and I'm in a very stable industry so it's not the economy.

So, in summation, I'd like to say that I have been holding back on giving credit to God for his blessings to me. As long as I have been on the internet (15+ years), nothing riles people up as much as talking about religion, but that's a poor excuse for what I have done (omitting).

I could ramble on, and usually do, but hopefully my point has gotten across. Perhaps there are others in my shoes that this will help. This has nothing to do with my curtailing my CPF activities, blame that on HDS (in a good way).

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Thanks for sharing that with us turbodog. I read an email the other day about folks who think God is answering "their" prayers - when it could actually be God answering the prayers of those who are praying "for you"!

I'm certainly "far from perfect" and it's a struggle "staying on the right path" most of the time! I wonder what happened to the prayer thread we had going some time back? Even if there are those that call "Prayer" ---> "Positive Thoughts", I believe there is power in numbers, BRING IT ON! I know my life could use it and THANK YOU!!

I struggle with faith, my actions, and the world around me all the time. There are those who "don't believe". I say, if I don't believe and I'm wrong - I could be in for a whole new world of hurt, eh? If I do struggle to believe and I'm wrong - then I've really not lost anything - but perhaps had a better life for it (you know the "Golden Rule" thing!). If I do struggle to believe and I'm right - then hopefully the Rewards will be there (not meaning that in a selfish way at all).

I have to agree with realizing more "blessings" when trying to do the right things and giving credit Where credit is due!

I may slip and say or think things here or there that aren't exactly what I would look back on and be proud of. I'm human and again far from perfect, it's a constant battle for me! If someone wants to label me a "hypocrite" for my actions - then I'm sorry, but just admitting that human nature is a powerful weakness that we need to fight against most times. That's why we ask for knowledge, wisdom, and courage to pick the right Path!

I'm done...a side of me that doesn't come out enough. Thanks for posting this reminder and fuel!

Darell

Flashaholic
Great post Jeff. I know we get after each other now and again, but I also know that below it all, we both want what is best for everybody. We just have differet ideas on how to accomplish that, and that's healthy. You are a unique individual, and you deserve any blessings that happen to come your way.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I don't share your religion. That's not a problem. It does not bother me that you attribute your good fortune to a deity, nor that you feel that failing to praise him or her brings you misfortune. It might bother others, and might better be done in private or on the underground.

I am simply happy that people are doing their best and being faithful to their beliefs, no matter what those beleifs are.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I'm happy for you and respect your beliefs even if I don't personally share them. I'm not personally bothered either if someone attributes their success to belief in a diety or dieties. It's probably no more silly than attributing success to good fortune, and lots of non-religious people have been known to do that. To some extent, success or lack of it are within your control. However, in the final analysis both depend heavily on others. No matter how hard-working or competent you are, if the opportunities simply don't exist it will all be for nothing. While I'm a firm believer that one can sometimes create opportunities, there are also times when one through no fault of their own will end up unsuccessful.

I've personally had little in the way of material success but then again a person goes after what's important to them. Expensive things to me simply don't matter. I'll buy a few new gadgets now and then, but most of the consumer items people lust after (cars, vacations, designer clothers, jewelry, etc.) I wouldn't want if they were offered to me for free. Given that, I guess it's no surprise I never pursued material wealth. In the end it all comes down to what people want. If you want something badly enough, you'll find a way to get it without involving luck or dieties. If you don't, then you wont. Unfortunately for those who don't, they are often perceived by others in our materialistic society as "lazy". Just my two cents.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmm so did god enslave all them 3rd world countries doing americans real work so they can be lazy and shiftless and still suceed ?

and dont you have to wonder what god it is that your praying to, if he brings you great ritches for doing nothing?
i mean in the book i read about god, it was the opposite of that that brings you free stuff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif, and tempts you, and all that other good stuff. mabey you guys reading different book?
who was it that helps, those who help themselves?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
We all KNOW that certain subjects such as religion, politics, etc are sensitive subjects to discuss on any forum. So many folks are so "judgmental" and others then take it as baiting etc. It's a hair trigger.

EVERYONE KNOWS that we try and practice mutual respect and that's what makes the CPF so unique on today's WWW.

You know VidPro, we have appreciated your participation here in these Forums - but sometimes it's hard to determine if a person is indeed "baiting" or asking genuine questions. Your first sentence above certainly is "read" as baiting.

It's a shame that an individual posts with good intent, only to have others who are perhaps misunderstood or indeed outright baiting close down a thread, thus disrespecting another member.

What's the ole' saying, "If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say it". Now please don't misunderstand this post VidPro, don't think it's a rock thrown at you.

You have some valid questions and perhaps someone will attempt to answer them - all I'm asking is that we practice mutual respect without a negative/baiting tone. This is as diplomatic as I can be.

Thanks for understanding and again thanks for your participation here at the CPF...

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
your right, so ban all religious discussion ??
in another forum, that would have been the start of a discussion.
and it may have been best in another forum. but then so to would the original post??

if what i said was a problem, then read Leviticus, and Job, and get back to me on what you find /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif course it might take all of 3 hours to do so.

now if i hadnt been blindsided by the thread, and into reading it, then i wouldnt be here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif if the title said "god" or "jesus" or the "church" on it, then i wouldnt have had the compultion to comment, because i would have avoided it.
*runs over to e-bays town square to raise the questions with ability to have full commenting* (where its appropriate and accustomed to that)

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i have no money.health isnt that great but i thank god for the things i do have.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good for you, turbodog.

Religion does have a history of being a touchy subject on CPF. We've had some good discussions though. Really the intent of your post seemed to be simply sharing some thoughts and experiences you've had recently. It was good to hear. I'll tell you I have to remind myself of the same thing; giving the glory of successes to the Lord.

I'm not much for giving testimonials on line. Last year a few of us endured a grueling few weeks of trying to convince someone that spewing hell and damnation interspersed with incessant Bible thumping of scripture quoting would result in the opposite affect they were after. I gave a small, gentle description of how things feel and work for me now as compared to 6 years ago.

I'm not feeble or extra passive. I feel very calm most of the time. I'm in tune with a great source of power. I'm confident in speaking the truth and using the truth to combat wrong and evil doings. I could go on but don't think that would be productive. After being pressed, here is some of what I said last year: "I feel a great power knowing the Lord that is sometimes difficult to explain. Knowing the Lord makes me feel free. I'm happy and unconstrained in it."

-------------

- Jeff

Latest posts