More airplane tales with lights

UVvis

Enlightened
My most recent encounters with TSA and flying about the planet.

Light in question, surefire C3, nothing special, I think I had an E1e in there as well. Trip involved a conference for a few days far far away.

I put my travel sack, shoes, belt, and soul through the X-ray machine to be analyzed, walk through, no problems. Then the fun phrase, "Sir, may I look inside your bag?" came up as they saw the C3. They pulled it out, swiped my bag for the GC analysis. And put the light back in. The GC machine then beeped testing positive for something evidently evil.

The folks then took everything out of my bag and started swiping all of it. Got a few compliments like, "hey this is a nice light" from the pair of people screening everything I owned. My coworker was laughing her head off, for some reason I always set something off.

Turns out that they had detected RDX in my bag after the swipe thingy. I had been working in a propellant and explosives lab so that added up. They took apart both my lights after x-raying them again, spares carrier (6x123a's and a P90), swiped everything and finally let me go.

Lesson learned, don't travel with that bag again until I wash it. On the way back they didn't seem to care about my light. I was early so didn't mind the possible delay and fun of having an explosive compound on my stuff.

Side notes: 1. Getting the 20 minute search by security is amusing, and if you have plenty of time, a neat place to sit and watch the system at work. 2. Coworkers can find it funny when you are delayed. 3. TSA is not amused to find about 20 expired boarding passes in your carry on. 4. The poor TSA people appreciate it when you aren't a pain in the butt, and laugh when you offer to restrain a lady that was outraged that she had to take her shoes off.

greenLED

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
UVvis said:
The poor TSA people appreciate it when you aren't a pain in the butt, and laugh when you offer to restrain a lady that was outraged that she had to take her shoes off.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

what's RDX? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
greenLED said:
[ QUOTE ]
UVvis said:
The poor TSA people appreciate it when you aren't a pain in the butt, and laugh when you offer to restrain a lady that was outraged that she had to take her shoes off.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

what's RDX? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

He could tell us, but then.... you know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Vbeez

Enlightened
High explosive, mainly use for military to make a loud BOOM.....
Try google or wikipedia.
Interesting story by UVvis. I avoid bringing lithium battery board a plane. A security officer took my lithium batt off my light during domestic flight in Aussie once. Just said it's no go. Aussie rule, maybe ?

matthewdanger

Enlightened
I have flown with many different lights. My favorite flying light is my Inova T2 (A fistful of T2 can be very comforting). The TSA has not given any of my lights a second look.

matthewdanger

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
bobisculous said:
So even when you'all have multiple lights with you in your carry on or on your person, no problems?

Cameron

[/ QUOTE ]

I flew to Tampa this weekend with a Surefire E2O, Pelican M6, Inova T2, Inova X1, Princeton Tec Attitude, and a Photon II. I kept all of them in my carry on bag and sent it through the x-ray machine. When I got to the gate I moved the PT Attitude and Inova T2 to move pockets. The folks at the security screening area didn't say a word about the lights in the bag. They never do (at least to me).

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flew a while ago, had a 6P+P61, E1e+KL1, and U2 in my bag. Not on my person, once I walk through the metal detector it would go nuts - I received a gentle reminder about my watch once when that happened, forgot I like metal bracelets. Put it all in the bag as has been mentioned.

After all the horror stories I'd read, I was pleasantly surprised by the professionalism and extremely positive attitude of the TSA screeners whom I came into contact with, without exception. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

UVvis

Enlightened
In my experience in both CONUS and most international flights, they really don't care about flashlights. I've only had once that a TSA person mentioned that Lithium batteries could be a no-no. I then said that most cell phones have lithium batteries and that was pretty much that.

Most TSA folks have an annoying job and often have to deal with people at their worst, being respectful and courtious goes a long way in my experience.

But each TSA employee is obviously an individual, and results will vary.

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
I think it's actually Lithium Dioxide-Sulfur non-rechargables that are banned from air travel.

Perhaps also certain Lithium Polymer batteries that have proven to be unstable, like the infamous Apple Powerbook battery that burned up a few years back.

Lithium rechargables like CR123's ought to be okay, but just say "Lithium" and it's probably too much to expect most any security screener to understand the differences.

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
Ive flown on 11 segments in the last two weeks with a backpack containing:

4 Photon Freedoms
Inova X5T
Surefire E2e
Streamlight Jr. Luxeon
Eternalight Elite 4x

Some were connections so less security checks than 11, but still, not a question from security. Although my shoulder is sore /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

cognitivefun

Enlightened
I traveled USA to Calgary, Alberta recently with:

3 cheapie Countycomm single-LED lights
2 headlamps, including 1 lithium headlamp
1 SF L1
1 SF C3
1 SF U2
1 EDC Ultimate
a bunch of extra lithium batteries

nary an eyebrow raised or a frown furrowed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif