any videos on soldering?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i need a video on how to solder.i read stuff on it but i dont realy get what they mean.a video on the web would be nice .specaily if it is small on dial up here

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Never was taught how to solder, I just practiced till I figured it out. Get some stiff wire and an old circuit board full of parts and first start by learning how to unsolder and remove stuff then stick a piece of wire in one of the holes and solder it back in place. Try first through the hole then try soldering the wire to the surface of the board then try soldering two pieces of wire together side by side.

The key to soldering stuff is getting enough heat in the shortest amount of time and feeding enough solder and flux to make a good solid joint.

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
most important thing I learned was to heat the object to be soldered so that the solder flows onto the heated part, don't try to drip the solder onto a cold metal part.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Keith already hit the most important. Here's a simple, three step technique.

1) wrap the wire around the post to which it will be soldered. It should stay all lby itself.

2) hold the tip of the soldering iron against both parts (where they meet) to heat them both up. Touch the solder to the joint briefly to see if the wire melts the solder. When it does, leave the solder there until unough solder has melted to cover the junction.

3) don't let anything move as you take the soldering iron off the part. If the wire jiggles, it ruins the joint.

about.com usually has some nice animations for these kinds of topics.

Daniel

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Found some step by step soldering videos from NASA here. Each video is around 1.3MB though..