Would something like this work on a Thor?

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have heard about something like these before but I could have sworn they were smaller and cheaper. I can't find them now anywhere.

In any event wouldn't this work to boost the output of a Thor? What kind of bulb does the Thor have (e.g. H1, H4, 9004/9007)?

-LT

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
thor uses a h4 bulb
looks like it would work to me
I think the newbie mod will be better

mod your thor to hid

better battery door than costco hid

better bulb than a costco hid if you use a phillips 85122 bulb - 4300k at 3200 lumens.

every bulb spec I have seen from the big hid bulb manufacturers(phillips - sylvania)as the color temp goes up
lumens go down.

5200k or so you get around 2400 lumens.

6000k even less lumens.

actually even I would probably just buy a costco hid.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
markdi,

Thanks for the info. I'm signed up for the Newbie deal but I don't really see it happening anytime soon so I'm looking for options.

It would be cool to mod to a HID but wouldn't know where to start. I'm not all that great with electronics. As for the Costco HID, might have to give it a look if they ever show up here in Japan.

-LT

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
modding to hid is pretty easy

all you are doing is mounting a bulb and ballast inside the
light.

it is not rocket science.

another advantage over the costco hid - you would not have to carry around the 120 volt charger(transformer)all the time.

you could mod either the 10 or 15mcp thor.

my mom has my 10mcp hid thor mod.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guess I'll have to look into that. I thought it required a number of parts a board and modding to get the bulb to stay with the reflector.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif for your mom. Mine's the same but I think the bulk of a Thor would be a bit much so I'm thinking Dragon I.

-LT

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
markdi,

Any chance you could layout the exact parts that I would be needing? I imagine there are a few folks that would like to know. I've also heard that hi/lo HID might work but caught that only in passing so I'm not certain of the details.

TIA,
-LT