Headlamp for reading.....

Steve C

Enlightened
Just spent a half-hour perusing this part of the forum. As usual, the plethora of information is overwhelming. But I didn't see an answer to this question:

If a fellow wanted a simple, decent quality headlamp that would be used ONLY for reading in bed by his wife, whose matricular degeneration is getting worse, what would he buy?

Please, PLEASE, guys; I know those who suggest it mean well, but I have absolutely no interest in a modded anything; something off the shelf, okay? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'm looking for: light weight, LEDs only, flood, and AA power.

Thanks a ton...

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd love that headlamp too...let me know when you find it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Seriously though, I don't think it exists quite yet. The problem is that AA's are larger than AAA's to the point where they are always put in a pack on the back of the head so as not to make the unit front-heavy. Needless to say, a hard battery box is not comfortable to lay on while reading.

There are a number of small AAA options with the battery up front (PT Aurora, Tikka, a few cheapies at Wall Mart; most use 3 AAAs) the smallest of which is probably the Gerber Tracer which uses only 1 AAA battery and 2 5mm LEDs. I'd love to see a AA version of this light- it would still be very small and light- I don't know why anyone hasn't done it yet . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Sorry I can't just be like get... and be done with it.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Sounds like my 2AA 12x26k LED headlamp mod, about the lightest you can get with a rather bright flood. I have seen a similar version on a wholesalers website in the dealer BST forums. The problem is such headlamps have the over the top headband on them some folks don't care for and runtime is perhaps 5-6 hours but using a 1hr charger and nimh shouldn't make that any problem.

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually use a Zipka Plus for reading and the lowest setting is still soemtimes too bright, but I've also used cheap Chinese headlights which are usually too much focused for that task. So I took the bezel off and put one layer form a paper handkerchief into it. This widens and softens the beam perfectly.
So: Just take the cheapest headlamp with batteries in front were you can remove the bezel.
The weight in front was never an issue while reading (only when moving around).
I prefer the Zipka as the usual headbands are too hot...

StuU

Enlightened
You might consider the old Princeton Tec Matrix headlamp. These run on 2AA batteries and use 3 leds to give a nice low-level flood. It's great for reading or getting around the house at night without disturbing anybody. Gets 40 hours of regulated light on alkaline batteries or 100 hours on lithiums. Just a little bit front heavy. Built to last.

No longer manufactured. However, the Matrix is available on Ebay for a reasonable price.
Stu

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, it may end up being brighter than you want but im desperately waiting for this one:

Headlight 0.5 watt 1AA
- bulb type : 0.5 watt LED (Nichia)
- output power : 14 lumen
- operation : on > flashing > off
- battery type : 1 x 1.5v AA-size (included)
- battery life : 5 hours (maximum output : 4 hours)
- product size : 62 x 50 x 51 mm
http://users.telenet.be/souvereyns/aurora/5.jpg

Rudi

Enlightened
Steve, I know exactly what you want for your wife's reading in bed with her macular degeneration.
I recommend the very small and comfortable Princeton Tec EOS with a diffusing lens affixed to the front. (UCL-LDF lens from FlashlightLens.com). Any size diffusing lens in the 27mm to 30mm range is suitable. I affixed mine to the front of the light with three small strips of duct tape at the edge. I read in bed with the intensity set at low. Your wife might prefer Medium. And then there's always High. Nice white light, poweful, versatile, and regulated, with an easy to operate switch.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
My wife uses a simple Petzl Tikka Plus, it's comfortable and has adjustable levels. For beam smoothing, I've been throwing that Writeright stuff on the lenses of all sorts of lights for more flood and less spot.

cheers
daloosh

Steve C

Enlightened
Thanks, guys.

I'm leaning toward the Tikka; I can live with having to buy AAA batteries.

On the subject of diffusion; I wonder if the old Inova mod (Scotch Magic tape) will work here?

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Steve-

The scotch tape trick (I like the satin gift wrap tape) will definitely work on the EOS. I have been using it on mine because under some conditions it is just too spotty.

However, Rudi's trick of using an LDF lens is impressive. The EOS lens is round, flat and about 19mm. I have to get one for mine.

The diffused EOS on low makes a really good reading light and is light and comfortable. With eye problems, the medium and high settings might help.

Mark

Steve C

Enlightened
Yes, the EOS looks to be better for our purposes.

It looks like I'll have to order whatever it is; Wally World only had some cheap Chinese crap; and the local felony yuppie back-packing store wants retail + 20% for their stuff. Like, $50 for a Tikka Plus.

And besides; I see where Petzl is a product of France. No thanks...

Maturin

Newly Enlightened
Hi Steve:

I make two exceptions with French products, one is the Champagne and the other one is Petzl . . . (well, some ships. . . OK, If you pressures me It could be other exceptions )

Well, I have the Tikka plus just to read on bed. Is perfect for that. And on high levels it works well to see who is crying at night. (little children, you know . . .)

I have the MYO 5 (halogen + leds) but it has the batteries (4 AA) on the back and is very uncomfortable, and is very heavy. (Please dont ask me why I have two frontal lights because I have no answer)

Only one question. The light of the Tikka has some blue tint. I dont know (and I ask myself many times) if this is healthy or not to read . . . In any case, for me is very comfortable.

Hope this helps.

Beaker

Newly Enlightened
> light weight, LEDs only, flood, and AA power

interestingly, I'm looking for such a headlamp as well, but as a backup helmet lamp for caving. I really want AA (not AAA, CR123, etc) as power so that I can standardize on a single battery type for all my lights (makes bringing in backup batteries much easier), but most all of the AA-powered LED headlamps seem too bulky to fit on along with my primary...

Skeeterbytes

Newly Enlightened
Yup, the Myo XP diffuser is very, very effective in creating a soft, wide floodlight. I don't know of a better out-of-the-box solution. I suspect the newer Tikka XP diffuser is similarly effective, and it's certainly smaller and less expensive, but it isn't yet widely available.