James Doohan, “Scotty” on Star Trek died

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was sad to hear this, I grew up watching Star Trek and Scotty was one of my favorite characters. It's amazing that at the time Star Trek was being produced the rating were on the floor. I don't think they had any idea at the time what they were starting. CNN

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I'm sad to hear of this as well. James Doohan's character put a human face on the engineer, making him into a real person instead of just someone who fixes things in the background. Many people who went into engineering as a career say they owe him their inspiration. He will be missed.

tygger

Enlightened
he was awesome! who else could've kept the Enterprise from certain doom besides the passionate Scotty running things down below. best Star Trek engineeer ever, hands down.

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
I was deeply saddened to hear this. I have been a ST fan since LONG before it was cool to be one. Scotty has always been one of my favorites, even though when things really got tough, Spock had to save his bacon on many occasions.
Interestingly enough, I was born in Scotland and I am an engineer.
He will be missed.
Peace be with him.... Joy and contentment; these are the gifts of Landru........

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Wits' End said:
He's trapped in the transporter beam near the Dyson sphere isn't he?
The movie with the whales showed him off well.
Oh well, think how distracting the back glow from a transparent aluminium bodied flashlight would be.
This is sad news /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The episode was called "Relics" and Scotty was trapped in a transporter of the USS Ginolan (spell check) that had crashed into the Dyson sphere.

Surely Geordi La'Forge & Miles O'Brien wouldn't be near the stars they were if Scotty hadn't paved the way for them.

*sigh* Live long and prosper old friend to us all.

Shane

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
[ QUOTE ]
Hallis said:
The episode was called "Relics" and Scotty was trapped in a transporter of the USS Ginolan (spell check) that had crashed into the Dyson sphere.
...Shane

[/ QUOTE ]
U.S.S. Jenolen
Relics

Some great pictures
Scotty Remembers
Data and Scotty
Well links don't work to pics. Go to the 'relics' link

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
Wits' End said:
He's trapped in the transporter beam near the Dyson sphere isn't he?

[/ QUOTE ]
He's not actually *trapped* in the transporter beam, he rigged the transporter to run in a continuous diagnostic loop on purpose and kept his pattern in the pattern buffer, after the Jenolen crashed on the outer surface of a Dyson Sphere and hope for a quick rescue was not at hand.
The Enterprise-D found the ship some 75 years later(?) with his pattern still virtually intact in the Jenolen's transporter pattern buffer. But they lost Franklin - his pattern had degraded too much. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif
Scotty was originally headed for the Norpin V retirement colony, but the Jenolen crashed before that ship's arrival.

I guess you can tell I watch too much Star Trek: TNG. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Santelmo

Enlightened
Normandy veteran (injured in the line of duty), radio dialect talent, screen actor . . . I wish there was a saluting icon.

We are all stars and one day we'll come back to them.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Injured does not do it justice - he was shot 6 times, and was actually missing most of 1 finger (he hid it well on camera). No disrespect was meant by "He's dead Jim" - It was just TOO good a line

I understand he was quite a man

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spock, shmock; it took guts to wear the red shirt in an Enterprise landing party.

May the Great Bird of the Galaxy always be with you, Mr. Scott!

Stream

Enlightened
I've been a Star Trek fan for as long as I can remember, Scotty has always been one of my favorite characters.
The man truly was a legend.

rodfran

Enlightened
I have always enjoyed watching Star Trek. My son is 14 and we have watched many of the "old" Star Trek episodes. He just loves the Scotty character. With each generation the legend continues.........

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same hear...have always been a trekie, and my wife as well. I kind of liked the latest series (enterprise) better though. We used to download all the episodes. But now since no new star trek franchise exist anymore, we are kind of bummed out. Those 45min series are perfect for an evening....