Diabolic question from a newbie. . .

Maturin

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody.

I have bought a Surefire U2, but I'm thinking on buying a HDS Ultimate 60 XR.
Has anybody compared this two lights ?

Except the obvious difference on size, witch other differences (similitudes) has ?

Thanks for your help, and excuse me for my English . . .

Jose.
(Spain)

kennyj

Enlightened
Haven't had the priviledges of handling either one, but I can break it down for you a bit. The U2 puts out more light with a farther-throwing reflector and takes two batteries. The HDS will have less throw and less overall output, but only needs one battery. Both are adjustable, both are very high-quality. It's pretty much impossible to quantify which of the two is "better," it's really just a matter of how you use the light. You could go as far as to think of the HDS is a shrunken-down U2 but that'd be a stretch considering the differences in how they're constructed and controlled.

You'll probably find that for everyday purposes the HDS is more practical simply because of its size; in terms of sheer lighting ability the U2 is a better light but you're lugging around a lot more flashlight and killing two batteries at a time instead of one.

Don't forget to consider the McLuxIII-PD if you're looking at the HDS EDC. Only two brightness levels, probably comparable to the HDS in terms of maximum output, but it has some compelling design features (primarily, it's built to last through a nuclear holocaust or two, it's dead simple to use, there's no knurling, and it has terrific carry options.) I carry one everyday and wouldn't imagine carrying anything else for general use (unless it gets upgraded, of course. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Kiessling

Flashaholic
One significant difference (between others) is the switching method. HDS is a single-button multi-click uC light with a multitude of options (depending on the version you will choose) while the U2 is a hardware-switched light following the KISS (keep it super simple) principle: a clicky with momentary function at the tail and a rotary collar with magnetic switches at the head for brightness control.
Two different philosophies.
bernie

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
Hello, Maturin...

Welcome to CPF! There's a ton of expertise here, and we hope you'll soak it up and, in time, be a worthy contributor, as well. (You're well on your way.)

Your English is just fine. Except for the occasional prissy-purist-having-a-bad-day, we don't sweat the minor grammatical glitches -- because it's your passion that counts here.

Just buy more flashlights... and share your insights!

Luxman

Enlightened
The Ultimate 60 is an Extremely Versatile light! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Once you get the feel of it, it is very nice to operate.
Besides its more unusual and "fun" features it allows you to set up the 4 levels of light to your particular situation or taste...
IMO, the U2 does not go dim enough for me to keep some of my night vision.

Get one - you will not be sorry.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've owned both, but my HDS is a Basic. It works the same way as the Ultimate except that you cannot change the 4 output levels, and you only have those 4 (no additional features).

However, I think the 4 levels are well chosen, it is surprisingly bright on one cell, and it will really milk all the battery life out of the cell until there is absolutely nothing left - I have tried.

I too thought that the HDS had nothing much to offer me after the U2, but I was pleasantly surprised and now I value both lights highly. The HDS on low is excellent for maintaining night vision and draining batteries. If you can afford both, they are recommended and complement each other rather than competing.

luminaria

Newly Enlightened
Hello Maturin, Bienvenido!

I don't have a U2 but I can comment on the HDS (although mine is a Basic)

As it has been said the most obvious difference is size. The HDS is 25x80mm, and it is an EDC (Every Day Carry) something I would not say of the U2.

The U2 is brighter (luxV/80 lumens against luxIII/60 lumens) and the LED life is shorter (500 hours for luxV against 50000 for LuxIII)

The HDS has thermal and battery management and will automatically reduce output if it overheats or if the battery is unable to sustain the load.

One thing I don't like it is the user interface. In particular setting the light to its highest setting from off means: press stop press press press and hold a second. And any change of level implies two or three presses. In the ultimate you can partially solve this reprogramming the levels, but the solution is far from perfect, compared to other user interfaces, like the one in lioncubs. Be sure to read in detail the manuals in their website to be sure you will be happy with the results.

The clip is another questionable part, many people takes it away.

I also think that you should have a look to the McluxIII-PD. It is similar in size and luminosity but only have two regulated levels, selected by rotating the head and with momentary activation by pressing the tailcap. Since I have it (only three days!) has become my new EDC.

If you have plans to pass by Alicante, or can wait to September when I will start again to travel to Madrid twice a month, we can meet and you can see my HDS and PD.

Maturin

Newly Enlightened
Kennyj, thank you for your recommendation of the McLuxIII-PD light. Very interesting. The question is that one characteristic very very important for me, that must have any light, is the possibility to regulate the level of light.
In my case I want a light for everything and the regulation is a must. I don`t know if the McLuxIII resolves that requirement.

Kiessling, I have seen your amazing review about the U2. Very interesting. Also interesting your comment about the different philosophy between the different control systems. I prefer a simple and mechanical (or magneto-mechanical) system, over the programmed buttons. I do not like having to consult a manual of instructions just to switch on the light when you are looking for a leakage on your ship.

Luxman, I have seen that you have the gladius too... The characteristic more interesting (for me) about this light is their waterproof resistance. 50 meters ( Is this true?). Is over the limit of the recreational dive. At 50mt depth there are 6Kg/cm2 of pressure. Very interesting your comments about the too high low level of the u2 This is very important to me too.. (a diffuser could be de solution ?)

TonkinWarrior Thank you for your reception and no so thank you for your recommendation ( . . buy more lights ) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

KevinL, you say me what I want to ear: That the two lights are compatible Im going talk with my wife /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

TorchBoy, Thanks.

Luminaria, gracias por tu recibimiento (TNKS for your reception).

Very interesting comments about the life of the leds...
I'm guessing that the interface of the HDS is complicated in excess.

Unfortunately I have no plans to visit Alicante, but we can meet on madrid on september.

Luxman

Enlightened
KevinL,
Well said - about the lights complementing each other rather than competing.

Maturin,
I am not sure, but I think the Gladius waterproof rating may not have been tested yet. You maybe could try the Strategos site and forum for up to date info.

On the U2 lowest light level - a diffuser might help (especially a red one), but this also depends on the level of night vision you require which may also vary on what activity you are doing. When I need max night vision, mainly for deep space telescope observation, low level red is mandatory to read eyepiece values as they are changed and sky maps.... then a little brighter red to avoid tripping on telescope power wire etc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
For night nature walks or certain camping situations red may not be necessary. Low level white might be ok - must also consider if the moon is bright, what you need to see (and at what distance) and disturbing other peoples night vision.
I am not familiar with the Lion lights, but I do like the user interface on the U60 very much and can change levels very quickly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Using the lowest level of light to complete your task is a Win...Win......saves your eyes, saves your LED, and saves your batteries... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That said...I like Kevin's sig - Life begins at 100 Lumens...

Also, I have an old red lens (I think from a AA mag lite) which fits the U60 perfectly and also some Surefire lights.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Maturin ... I prefer the easy mechanical switches, too, but it never hurts to think about other possibilities! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I hope that sometime in the future the uC switches will finally be able to act according the KISS principle ... then I will be interested in those, too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
bernie

P.S.: thanx for the kind words /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

U2BK1.jpg

Luxman

Enlightened
Nice shot!
That picture kinda makes my eyes water...

[makes me want one for each pocket /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif]

Luxman

Enlightened
Kiessling,
So.....you think I was kidding....

Copied from the Gladius thread:
I had a U2, but did not like the "doughnut" and felt the lowest light level was too bright - so I don't have it any more. [still true]

But.....I do miss it....and if there was ONE light I feel is versatile and I could depend on if I was out in the middle of nowhere - it would be the U2.

So I just ordered one.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

YOUR picture contributed to this...and really made me miss it even more !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
So part of this is your fault and I hold you responsible! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
I felt that the U2 is too big for what it does, and the HDS design is too complicated. I haven't tried a McLux PD yet but I'm still crazy about my original McLux and I'd love to have a PD. It's only the $$$ issue that's slowing me down.

Another light I'm interested in is the LRI Proton, not yet available. It uses one AA cell and six Nichia 500CS leds (originally it was going to use a single Jupiter led) for adjustable white light, and a single red led for night vision. I agree that most adjustable white led lights don't go nearly dim enough for low-level nighttime use, but I think a red led is better than a white one for that type of thing, so I like the red/white combination a lot. The Proton will also be a lot more affordable than the U2 or PD or HDS.