Firefox software

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am downloading Firefox, thought I would give it a try..
But before I load it I would like to know if I can choose, or toggle from Explorer and back, and if so HOW? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif
I will wait for some info on this program before I load it..
Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
You can use both -- no worries mate. One doesn't take over the other.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
On my WinXP Home laptop, IE and Firefox live side by side very easily. You just click on IE or Firefox to start the one you want. If you are using some sort of Dail-up management software--it may start IE automatically until you change its settings.

There is a default setting in IE and Firefox that allows you to make one or the other default.... For example, if you have been using Firefox as your default, clicking IE will bring up a "Change your default to IE?" You can click yes or no. If you click no, you can still use IE just fine. It is just if you open a link from(for example) an email, your default browser will open instead.

The only "difficulty" is that Firefox will import all of your existing IE bookmarks. From this point forward, any new book marks will exist only in the browser where you created it. --that is about the only issue I have seen when running both browsers at the same time.

Also, you may wish to think about using Thunderbird as your email program. It will import all of your addresses and email from Outlook or Outlook Express.

Both Firefox and Thunderbird are much less likely to be infected than their Microsoft equivalents.

I hope I was clear--It is really pretty easy and straight forward.

-Bill

Empath

Flashaholic
You'll have a shortcut icon for both, but only one can be the default browser at a time. When you open the one that's not default, you'll get a little option window that pops up and ask if you want that browser to be default. You can change back and forth that way. Just make sure you don't tick the "don't ask again" option when the little default option window pops up.

Edit: Ah! It looks like others were replying while I was slowly typing.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only problem I see is the initial start up. Firefox wants to be your default browser. Yes or no; that is it. I told my FireFox 'no.' Other than that major decision FireFox works smooth. I have my FireFox set so it 'absorbs' all the cookies on the Net pages then, nicely, throws away all the same cookies when I turn off the browser. Nobody is going to track me!

Firefox works with IE very nicely.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you.
I have now loaded it and using it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I am assuming the differences are not made to be very noticable as a user, outside of the safety associated to it.
I like the "newest headlines" feature though..
Thanks for all the help, I was just concerned it would override my current browser..

drizzle

Enlightened
One of the fun things about Firefox is all the extensions you can download.

One of these extensions is especially nice for making Firefox and IE get along. It's called "IE View". It adds a menu option when you right click to "View this page in IE". I don't use it very often but I occasionally run across a web page that is designed to only work in IE. This option is very handy for that.

Enjoy!

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would definitely recommend getting some extensions for Firefox. Mozilla has tried to make it as basic as possible, which is great for some people, but there are some really cool extensions out there that can bring new meanings to Firefox.

I also installed a new theme, Noia 2.0 eXtreme. I guess the default theme just wasn't that exciting for me.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will look into the extensions today, I did see that while I was exploring the menu's..
Any other extension recomendations?

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Pydpiper said:
I will look into the extensions today, I did see that while I was exploring the menu's..
Any other extension recomendations?

[/ QUOTE ]

I recommend AdBlock to block all those banners you don't want to see, and BugMeNot for all those news sites that require registration. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
lightmeup said:
Don't get rid of IE, you have to have it if you go to M$'s update sites, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you get rid of IE? Without an advanced degree in computer sciences I mean?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
They used to have a program that got rid of IE, the 98 version was called win98 lite I think they have an XPlite also but people have mixed results removing IE as it is embedded into everything and some software requires certain components that are IE specific just to work. I had to upgrade to IE 5.01 just to install my firewall software and I don't even use IE at all.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Other extensions I use that have not already been mentioned:

Webmail Compose - Makes mailto: links load your webmail's compose page and adds a Compose link to the context menu. Good for internet-based e-mail accounts, such as Gmail or Hotmail.

Single Window

Clone Window - Allows you to have Firefox "clone" or open up the same site when you open a new window and/or tab.

Forecast Fox - Displays local weather information in your status bar.

Also, you might want to check out the theme Noia

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I have both on my 'puter. I use Firefox for CPF and anything else it can handle (most everything I try).

Funny though... 950KPRC.com has a listen live button. 3 different times using Firefox I brought up players.eonstream.com but got no sound.

Just tonight I launched IE to see if it would work. It does! My man Mike Savage comes up after the news!

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Saaby said:
[ QUOTE ]
lightmeup said:
Don't get rid of IE, you have to have it if you go to M$'s update sites, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you get rid of IE? Without an advanced degree in computer sciences I mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

You do not want to get rid of IE because of the reasons lightmeup already mentioned.

You can very easily delete the file "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe", but many of the shared DLL's used by IE can not be removed because they are used for other purposes by other applications.

chrisse242

Enlightened
I love minimize to tray, but mostly use it with thunderbird. It will allow you to minimize both programs to the system tray instead of the task bar. Very usefull for me...

Chrisse