Anyone taking Antidepressants???

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had anyone taken antidepressants? I am taking 150mg Effexor right now for 5yrs. I started with paxil but I found it to be ineffective. It had zero benefits. I want to know how you cope daily with tiredness from antidepressant drug. I find it difficult to focus. My energy become depleted quickly. I have to take some fruitjuice or eat sugar food such as cakes to get carb. Then I have to take caffine pills to stay awake. I detest coffee because it contains other contaminants that I don't want in my body. I prefer taking stuff that I know the ingredients. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
It's been a long time, but I took Prozac for about a month in my late teens for depression.

I had the exact same problems. Listless, sleepy, and just generally felt DULL, DULL, DULL.

I quit.

Luckily, my depression was more situational, it was merely bad enough at the time to present as clinical, and abated as I got my life together. Moved out on my own, made new friends to replace ones that had left town etc.

If you've discussed this with your doc, and Effexor is the best fit you can find, and you've tried all the others, the only thing I can recommend is exercise, lose weight (If you're packing extra), or put on some muscle weight if you're underweight. If you've got nowhere to exercise, and no access to machines, just do a forced walk for an hour three or more times a week. Turn that into jogging if your feet and knees can take it. Maybe cycling if you cant.

Also, if you're using sugars to try and elevate your mood and manage your energy level, it's a brutal downward spiral. Your body produces Insulin to metabolize the sugars, but the left over Insulin makes you crave more sugar when it's gone and your blood glucose begins to drop. Try gradualy switching from simple sugars (fruit sugars like juce aren't really any better than cane sugar or corn syrup) to complex carbs like whoe grains, brown rice, anything with a "low glycemic index" these carbs release energy all day, and keep your blood sugar and Insulin on a more even keel. And keeping them even is the key to feeling good, not making them spike up, (and the inevitable crash).

Insulin is a very powerful horomone, and it's related to all sorts of health issues beyond diabetes and blood sugar stuff. Even if you're not diabetic and don't take Insulin shots, the same things (to a lesser degree) can still be going on in your brain.

http://www.news-medical.net/?id=2201

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi picard, the type of energy you are getting from those drinks/foods does not last. try substituting the cakes/juices/caffiene pills with fresh fruit/vegetable juice. this would mean buying a juicer, but believe me it is well worth it. also do you take vitamins in the morning, if not try all-one brand powdered vitamins. these will not only give you the right kind of sustaining energy but will also help you sleep better at night which inturn will give you more energy in the morning. i hope this helps.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i like my jiucer the day but it is to expensive to use it wouldnt it be beter just for him to eat the whole frusit?

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
I drink juice beverage too. My body seems to run low on carb. I am not diabetic. I test negative several times. I lost 7lbs this year. I don't know where it disappeared. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I have problem maintain steady weight or gaining weight. I don't even have worms. : /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif
My body has craving for food. I am always tink about food. heee. Other people might think about sex !!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif but my mind is occupied with food. Perhaps it is sideeffects of the drug. You guys heard about pakinson drug effects caused patients to develop craving for food and gambling.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes raggie33, eating fresh fruits and veggies is better because you get a lot more fiber, but it might be too much to eat if you want different types of fruits and veggies. i bought a great juicer, l'equip juicer 110.5 here for under $90 including shipping. in the reviews i read it was prefered over the other popular brands. i juice celery, beet, parsley, carrot, apple, and orange all together and it makes for a great combo and gives good energy. but try eating all that and it definitely gets too much to handle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
picard, have you talked to your doctor about your loss of energy and your cravings?
you said you drink "juice beverage" is that juiced from fruits/veggies or store bought brands?

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
I already discussed the issued with doc and a shrink. Tiredness is well known sideeffects. As for my hunger, they recommend I take diabetic test. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif My family doc is clueless too.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
hiya the day i have jack lalnaes juicer i like it cause it is strong and it has big shoot but man it cost so much to make juice

richpalm

Banned
Been on meds for years... longer than I want to admit-also numerous hospital stays for depression.

Tired all the time... said the hell with it and applied for disability. Been out of work since May 04.

Rich

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
Disclaimer: Anything mentioned below should be discussed with your doctor, suddenly stopping or changing dosage of Effexor or any other antidepressant can cause very serious health problems. You should not self-medicate.

Maybe a smaller dosage of Effexor would work with less side-effects?

Have you tried any other antidepressants other than Paxil and Effexor? There are many different types and the trick is to find the one that works for you and has the fewest side-effects. That will vary from one individual to another ... I guess that is why there are so many.

Natural:
SAMe and St. John's Wort can be bought OTC at drug stores and GNC type stores, they are supposedly all "Natural" and would probably have the fewest side effects.

SSRI's:
Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, and Luvox all work in a similar manner. If one doesn't work another might, but chances are good you will have similar results.

Tricyclics:
Elavil, Tofranil are older antidepressants and can have side effects but they work well for some people.

MAO Inhibitors:
Nardil, Parnate are older antidepressants and have many dangerous food and drug interactions. They are not used very often anymore except as a last resort.

Other:
Wellbutrin [aka Zyban] will not cause sleepiness [just the opposite] and it is also used to help people quit smoking. It has fewer side effects than many of the prescription antidepressants but is not effective for everyone.

I'm sure there are others not mentioned, it is just something you and your doctor need to work out together. Keep trying.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
richpalm said:
Been on meds for years... longer than I want to admit-also numerous hospital stays for depression.

Tired all the time... said the hell with it and applied for disability. Been out of work since May 04.

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]
Is disability payment enough for you to live? I hope your wife will help you with the bills. What's the rule on disability in the US anyway? I am from canada. I am clueless.

vontech

Newly Enlightened
I took Effexor for a while a few years ago. It turned me into a ZOMBIE!! Tired all the time. My doctor put me on 20 mg, then 40 mg, of LEXAPRO -- 3 years ago. No apparent tiredness, and the sluggishness/tiredness is GONE. No other side effects, either.

I recommend that you speak to your doctor about it. It's a much newer, more focused version of Celexa, as I recall.

Totally removed all my depression too! I've been happy now for years!

Regards,

Tom

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does celexa have pschotic sideeffects at all? Does it causes general rashes all over the body? Is there any potential damage to kidney and liver ??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I will talk to my doc on next appointment.

vontech

Newly Enlightened
I never took Celexa. My doctor started my straight on Lexapro, and there I stayed. No apparent side effects, WHATSOEVER!

Tom

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
how long were you taking lexapro? what was the initial dosage and final dosage at the end of treatment?

vontech

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
vontech said:
My doctor put me on 20 mg, then 40 mg, of LEXAPRO -- 3 years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

It WAS three years ago, but I was wrong on the dosage. I just looked at the bottle -- initially I was on 10 mg once daily; after 1 month, the doctor increased it to 20 mg once daily (in the morning).

Been my dosage ever since. Definitely speak to your doctor about it!

Tom

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this cheap drug? I am concern about cost too. Effexor is dam expensive

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the late 80s, I tried several anti-depressants in attempt to control my panic attacks including some tricyclics as well as the newly released prozac. But I could not really tolerate any of them as I would get headachy and jittery before even reaching recommended dosage levels. Luckily as I continued to get older the panic attacks subsided as it was a very bad time for awhile.

About the juicers, Raggie is right, doesn't it take a lot of vegetables to make juice and tend to be expensive in doing so? I do a glass of low sodium V8 every day, I hope that is helping.

Picard, I hope you reach some sort of equilibrium as far as taking the meds and dealing with the cause as to why you are taking the meds.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
My father pass away abruptly in heart attack. He died in my hands I couldn't save him even with my first aid training. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif moreover, my family has long list of cousins, relatives whom have depression. It seems this is inherited in my blood line. My relatives have much worse problem with depression. some have been institutionlized because they become schizophrenic, psychotic. I am worried that I might be next on that list. I will have to change medication. Effexor impairs my judgement during daytime at work. I can't think straight because I seems to be a dream state all the time. I don't know if I am awake or sleeping. My mind can't process sensory input even though my eyes can see things clearly. Everyone voices seem to sound muffles in a dreamscape.