Z2 or P6?

boostmiser

Newly Enlightened
Curious as I may just buy one but will wait for something else if it's due for an overhaul or they discontinue it.

My lighting aresenal will be a SL20 with the SL35 bulb for long range stuff. My intermediate light will be the SL Stinger and my short range/personal light will be the SF Z2.

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: How long has the SF Z2 been out?

The Z2 has been around for quite some time now. The previous version of it was the 6Z. I doubt they will discontinue or overhaul it, and if they do, parts will continue to be available as the other "C" series lights are around.

boostmiser

Newly Enlightened

How hot does this light really get? I have read about the heat and while I don't think it will be on for long periods, it could be. I don't like the composite Z2 , I like the metal.

mokona2

Enlightened

The Z2 is same as the 6P except that it comes with the rubber grip rings. It has an all aluminum body construction. The G2Z is the same as the G2 except for the rubber grip rings and the Pyrex lens. Both the Z2 and G2Z use the P60/P61 lamp assemblies.

Lumen

Newly Enlightened

I would say that the G2Z is the same as the Z2, only it's made of nitrolon instead of aluminum.

boostmiser

Newly Enlightened

So should I save the $30 and buy the 6P...since I won't be using it with a firearm??

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
boostmiser said:
So should I save the $30 and buy the 6P...since I won't be using it with a firearm??

[/ QUOTE ]

YES

firefly99

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
boostmiser said:
How hot does this light really get?

[/ QUOTE ]
Without wearing gloves, after 10 minutes of constant-on, I was throwing the Z2 between my left & right hand. After 20 minutes, it feel like a red hot iron rod in your hand. Had to wear glove to switch off the Z2.

boostmiser

Newly Enlightened

I think I might just go with the 6p gmg anodized. Looks nice and it'll do for what I'm using it for. Saves me money and if I like the Surefires enough, I can upgrade later. hummm...sounds like a plan. Anyone else agree or disagree?

Size15's

Flashaholic

I appears you have pretty much accepted that buying one SureFire will mean you end up getting more SureFires.

The 6P is a good place to start.

Please let us know what you think of your 6P-GM when you get it!

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

boostmiser

Newly Enlightened

Ok, done deal. I bought a 6P-GM, extra P60, Battery case and a box of batteries. I'll let you now what I think when I get it. Thanks.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast

How about the E2e with MN02 and SC3? Seems like you go the bigger lights for more throw and the Stinger for intermediate use.

The SF E2e was my first light and I was shocked how small it was. After holding a 6P next to my E2e, I was glad I spent a little more and got a little less (good in this case, lol.)

Just trying to give some options /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Jason

PS. As Al said, once you go SF, you just keep getting more!

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
JasonC8301 said:
How about the E2e with MN02 and SC3? Seems like you go the bigger lights for more throw and the Stinger for intermediate use.

The SF E2e was my first light and I was shocked how small it was. After holding a 6P next to my E2e, I was glad I spent a little more and got a little less (good in this case, lol.)

Just trying to give some options /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Jason

PS. As Al said, once you go SF, you just keep getting more!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree Jason and would have said so as well but he seemed pretty concerned with price.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast

Double A - Didn't seem like price was a huge factor, guess I missed it.

The Z2 lists for $90 and he was originally thinking about it, and the 6P is $56. The E2e is $95.

But I missed the chance anyway, he already ordered the stuff lol. He can upgrade later as he said /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The 6P is not a bad light, but E2e is just that much smaller and with all the options for it, it seems like a very useful light (MN03, MN02, KL1, KL4, E2C to use the 6P head and P60/P61 or possibly P90 with 2 X CR123's, KL3, one of the turbo heads.)

Sorry for the rant, lol, Enjoy your new Surefire, I am sure you'll like it!

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

For the price, everybody should have a 6P /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I bought mine early on as my second light, and even with my collection of 30 lights today I don't regret the 6P, it still has a valued place and purpose.

You will eventually buy into the E-series lights too. It's just a matter of time. Enjoy the 6P and later you can think about what comes next. Once you start, you can't stop /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And the nice thing about lights is that if for whatever reason you are REALLY upset with the light, there's always someone to pick them up in B/S/T. Though I highly doubt this will be the case.

boostmiser

Newly Enlightened

I really have high expectations for this light...I hope it lives up to them. Price was a factor, but not necessarily a big one. Seemed like the 6P gave me what I needed for a lot less. I can always buy another one later if I like it. Also the size. I don't really like small lights. Anyway, I'm not expecting to use this light a lot since I have the Streamlight rechargeables. But we'll see. I know SF has a rechargeable unit for the 6P and the LED conversion as well. That'fs some good flexibility.