solder better drunk then on caffeine, LOL

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today at work, I modified my Eternalight with the Nichia CS LEDs. I had just drank a large iced coffee and I was all jittery and shaky although I got the job done. Tonight when it finally got dark, I really tested the light and found out that one of the LEDs was way cockeyed and obviously out of group with the other three. I was going to wait until Monday to repair it but after four beers it got the best of me so I hauled out my home soldering iron. I was able to unsolder and straighten out the LED in a matter of seconds, just like tying my shoes. Maybe four beers was the right amount. Not drunk but relaxed enough to not be jittery. I tend to shoot pool and play darts better after about the same amount of alcohol as well. Of course after a certain amount then the effects start to go back the other way.

Modifying the eternalight is a doable mod for the casual solderer. I was going to remove the leds and replace them alltogether but instead I decided to cut the existing led leads near the base and cut the new LED legs accordingly and just solder the new legs onto the old. Also I was bright enough to mark the Nichia CS anode lead with a black marker so that I would be able to tell the difference once I cut the leads. For those who don't know, the anode lead is longer then the cathode in a led but of course once cut could not tell the difference. Anyhow the light output is pretty impressive, given it's just four 5 mm leds. I'd love to see a light such as a trek 14 or 19 with the Nichia CS leds, I bet it would make for a pretty impressive wall of wide area light.

Topper

Flashaholic*
I guess it depends on what you are used to. I think I do better at anything with caffeine not beer or liquor. Years past I drank alot of hard liquor and many Beers. I got over that (sort of) now it is caffeine,nicotine. Better choice? Not sure at all just how it is for me at this time.Sober non hopped up by anything (other than the love of lights) seems like the best choice for modding but as I am not a modder what the heck do I know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely caffeine gets me going and more energetic, particularly in the morning hours but also makes me more jittery when doing fine work. I should add the four beers was like over about as many hours so the effects were fairly minor. The more steady soldering ability I think had more to do with a several hour abscence of caffeine.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I've found that I can't do a good job at surface-mount soldering after drinking coffee. I think that alertness and fine motor skills are mutually exclusive goals. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
A question. When one gets drunk, does he vaguely remember what he did while he was? Or does he not? Because the way I always saw it on TV and Movies, they cant control themselves and end up doing crazy things they wouldnt dream of doing while sober.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
It depends on the individual's genetic makeup as much as anything else. Some remember everything, some don't, some will employ, ah, "selective amnesia" the following day.

It's dangerous to drink to the point of being uncontrollable though. Not only does it kill off brain cells, it can wind up causing loss of life - yours, others' or both.

I write this from the perspective of someone whose car was T-boned by a drunk on a bike. His girlfriend was thrown from the back of the bike and died instantly when she landed on concrete on her unprotected skull.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
while I don't generally consider a soldering iron a "power tool" in the sense that my table saw is a "power tool" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif But I do have a rule about working with power tools while under the influence or too tired. I do often work with the soldering iron after midnight and while it's been a very long time since I've done myself any injury with it, I do tend to reach blindly for it while staring through the magnifying glass... i'd hate to grab it wrong cause I was too "relaxed" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've also found that my coordination and balance is better after a few beers. When I drink sometimes I like to give myself the tests the cops use to see how drunk I really am. I can barely walk toe to toe on a line without falling when I'm sober, but after a few drinks I can do it great! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif As for soldering, I can't do that worth a damn whether I'm sober, drunk, or caffeinated! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mags - I almost always remember what happens when I'm intoxicated. Only time I don't remember is if I drink enough to pass out, which I usually don't do...