Surfire U2-Dust on reflector???

winger

Newly Enlightened
I just noticed when using my U2 for the first time at night (almost pitch dark) that there are very visible dust particles inside the bezel on the reflector.

Is this normal????

Size15's

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF winger

It's not normal in my experience. If it is an issue for you I suggest you call SureFire and see if they'll replace it. I urge you not to open the bezel. Never touch the reflector surface with anything because it is likely to scratch or mark it.

Al

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
My U2's reflector looks dusty as well and there is a speck on the inside of the lens, but... I live with it. I ain't sending this X-bin with the nicest tint I've ever seen back - it might never come around this way again! (it might, but I don't want to take the risk it gets mixed up with some other bezel).

Guess some you lose - but some you win big time. More importantly, it doesn't affect the beam.

winger

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Size15's said:
Welcome to CPF winger

It's not normal in my experience. If it is an issue for you I suggest you call SureFire and see if they'll replace it. I urge you not to open the bezel. Never touch the reflector surface with anything because it is likely to scratch or mark it.

Al

[/ QUOTE ]Thanks for the welcome!

I actually tried opening the bezel to get to the reflector and try to air blow the dust particles (at least that is what they look like) off the reflector and the lense - but since I was 'gingerly' trying, I had no luck opening it. I then decided to do the smart thing as ask smart people like yourself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif for your experience/opinion.

Are you sure your light does not have the dust specks? The only way you can really tell is setting the light at the lowest power and look at the reflector from an angle as to not stare directly into the LED when it is lit.

I will call SF for their opinion - as I am new to this, not sure now much, if at all, the specks affect the light. Prob not much, but it doesn't look cool to have a $200+ light and have dust specs all over the reflector and lense when some cheapie Kmart light is clean!

winger

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
modamag said:
have you guys try the air can?
dont hold it too close though.

[/ QUOTE ]How do you take off the bezel to expose the reflector? Does this damage any o-rings or anything? (of course, I will wear latex gloves if I do this 'maneuver')

Size15's

Flashaholic
The bezel is not intended to be dis-assembled - it is sealed.

Sometimes "cans of air" have some moisture in the air which isn't good for the reflector or components - be careful.

If the dust is obvious to you then you may decide you need to do something about it. I'm concerned that attempting to clean it yourself will make things worse.

Of course the dust is real American dust - likely from the real American workers at SureFire's assembly facility in real America. From this perspective the dust is a tribute to America and Americans and should be praised.
(okay, it wwas worth a try right?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif )

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

winger

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Size15's said:
The bezel is not intended to be dis-assembled - it is sealed.

Sometimes "cans of air" have some moisture in the air which isn't good for the reflector or components - be careful.

If the dust is obvious to you then you may decide you need to do something about it. I'm concerned that attempting to clean it yourself will make things worse.

Of course the dust is real American dust - likely from the real American workers at SureFire's assembly facility in real America. From this perspective the dust is a tribute to America and Americans and should be praised.
(okay, it wwas worth a try right?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif )

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]LOL. you are just crackin me up. Maybe if the bezel were put together like in Japan where they have very high (well, at least perception) manuafacturing standards that there may NOT be any dust particles at all...just some good 'ol Japanese vacuum !!! I'm not opening this thing up...just wanted to run buy you guys if you are seeing the same thing...and of course how much it (just) affects the lighting. My assumption is the cleaner the reflector the cleaner the light beam. Sort of like looking through a dusty pair of glasses vs. a cleaned version.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, never, absolutely never try to clean a reflector. Or the underside of the lens on a surefire. The only thing I'll ever do is blow them off with air, but my air supply has a filter on it.

Cans of compressed air can and will "spit" at times. If it does this at the wrong time, you're screwed.

Either live with it or send it back. If you like the tint and brightness, I'd just live with it.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Tony has a very important point - if you are happy with the tint and brightness - this may be more important to you then dust, I guess this only matters if you notice a difference in the replacement. The trouble is you may not realise how important the beam tint was until you get the replacement and it turns out not to be as good.

Al

winger

Newly Enlightened
Regards to you fellas referring to "tint" and "brightness" - are you saying that dust particles somehow affect the tint and brightness? or are you saying that each LED is constructed differently in terms of tint and brightness and if I like how mine looks, just keep it?

A good point is since I do not know how a bezel without dust particles looks like (maybe does NOT make a difference?)...maybe just hold on to what I have. Too much trouble to replace.

Danintex

Enlightened
My L5 has the same bezel setup and I have had it off a couple times. They are just screwed down real tight. Winger: each LED is slightly different in color and brightness, so some will be much better than others.

cy

Flashaholic
winger, welcome cpf

there is a thing called luxeon lottery. meaning luxeons from the same batch can range from pure white to greenish tint.

it's called a lottery because one's never knows what you will get.

So if you have an nice bright and white tint luxeon. like Chop said, much better to keep it and put up with tiny dust that probably don't make much difference.

my U2 also has some minor dust in reflector, but no way Surefire is getting mine back. mine is VERY brite and white.

winger

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
cy said:
winger, welcome cpf

there is a thing called luxeon lottery. meaning luxeons from the same batch can range from pure white to greenish tint.

it's called a lottery because one's never knows what you will get.

So if you have an nice bright and white tint luxeon. like Chop said, much better to keep it and put up with tiny dust that probably don't make much difference.

my U2 also has some minor dust in reflector, but no way Surefire is getting mine back. mine is VERY brite and white.

[/ QUOTE ]LOL. Ok learned something new - "Luxeon lottery". Mine is white, the way I like it, so I AM keeping mine.

Thanks all for the feedback. I thought I had the unlucky fortune of being the only one getting a dusty lense - which again IMO for a $200+ light is BS.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey...mine is dusty too. That is the magic dust from all the shoes of the midgets stomping their miniature steel-toed shoes on the reflector to make the reflector look like a hobbyist sputtered it.

The dust doesn't seem to hurt the beam but it does hurt the pride of Surefire...the makers of the worlds greatest light.

Size15's

Flashaholic
TORCH_BOY,

That is not really a viable solution - you could get two U2's and swap the bezels but this still means having to take the U2's Lamp Module apart and it is not intended for the user to do this.

al-u2apart.jpg

As you can see - the threads are sealed (with some sort of adhesive) and sometimes it is not possible to unscrew the components (othertimes it is a bit easier which was the case for one of the U2's I have)

Al

jmy808

Newly Enlightened
KevinL,
You mentioned that you have an X binned U2. How does one discover what the bin code is on a U2? I have one also and would like to know. Just curious is all:)
Regards,
Jay

Pwdrkeg

Enlightened
This post regarding dust under the bezel of the U2 got me
thinking. After taking a close look at my U2 with the low
beam on, I could see a very small amount of dust particles
on the reflector and the under side of the bezel. The light
from the LED gives it an iridescent look. The amount is very
small and doesn't appear to affect the beam quality.

If SureFire cleaned and assembled the U2 head in a clean
room, like the ones used by NASA, the cost of production
would most likely be prohibited. I think that if you take a
close look at other U2's, or any other flashlight, your going
to find the same thing.

Just my thoughts ........................... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

This flashlight stuff is intoxicating ................ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy23.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
jmy808 said:
KevinL,
You mentioned that you have an X binned U2. How does one discover what the bin code is on a U2? I have one also and would like to know. Just curious is all:)
Regards,
Jay

[/ QUOTE ]

I should probably prefix this with a disclaimer that this is speculation /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It's kinda-informed-speculation though, because I have handled Luxeon V's of known bin codes (WX1U, VW0T to name a couple), some of which have to be HEAVILY overdriven to over an amp of current to match the U2's performance. In fact my VW0T is receiving 1.3 amps of current when wide open.

The U2 on highest level runs in the region of 700mA as specified by the manufacturer. We don't know the drive current either but it can be calculated from the input side knowing voltage and current and making a guess as to efficiency.

Plus, the only LED light I own that can take on the U2 (and win by a SMALL margin) is the Mag3X - three TWAK Luxeon 3's direct-driven on 3 C NiMH cells.

Latest posts