Flashlight For Boat Use

Cmoore

Enlightened
I gave a friend a MJLED modded AA Mag to try out on his boat. He loved it and now it's his light.

He is now asking me what other brighter light should he get for use on his boat. I'm not a boater. Suggestions please.

Thanks.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Depends on what he wants to really do with it, but the UK 4AA eled is a winner for all around general use.

greenLED

Flashaholic
yup, UK 4AA sounds like a good choice. Some of the Pelican lights are also really nice. With some of them being dive-rated, you don't have to worry about water problems.

watt4

Enlightened
maybe a couple of these

evereadyutilityflashlightlg4ko.gif

cheap, bright, and they float

davidra

Enlightened
I fish regularly in salt water and have the following on my boat at all times:
1. Photon red LED for night fishing when I want to preserve night vision
2. Ergomarine. Floats, variable output, with lithiums I just leave it in the boat and don't worry. It also meets Coast Guard requirements for having a flashing light.
3. Streamlight TL-3, sprayed with Corrosion-X. I used to have a modded Mag 2C with 3X123, but the throw is not that much better and the size is much better for keeping in a dry box. This will light up channel markers with reflectors a long way away.
4. UKE-2L in my tackle box.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
As watt 4 suggested, lanterns, but in a waterproof version. The UK Vectra 4D, dual lamp, waterproof, lantern is often on sale at www.brightguy.com for $23 - an absolute bargain. I have two of these, each with NiMH cells and 5.8 & 18 watt lamps.

The Pelicans are also top notch flashlights for any waterborne disease, like owning a boat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Cmoore

Enlightened
Thank all of you for your suggestions. Tomorrow, I'll see my boating friend at work and I'll let him read this entire thread. We'll then focus on a purchase decision(s) based on his input as well as yours. Thanks again for your input!

cy

Flashaholic
if you can stand the price, Barbolight U-09 is hard to beat