Power Failure Wall Light?

OpticalStandards

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for suggestions. I need a light that can be plugged 'directly' into a wall outlet for charging and iluminates when there is a power failure.

Would like all types to look at. High light output... Long burning etc...

I don't want a beam. Would like broad somewhat room filling light.

Thnaks,
John

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF, and hold onto your wallet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Have you considered the surefire L4? It's a classic here at CPF and reguarded as a excellent 'room filling' light.

paulr

Flashaholic
OpticalStandards, for business/industrial settings the standard light of that type is the power fail version of the Streamlight Lightbox:

http://brightguy.com/detail.php?Sku=STR45129

For home use there are various less expensive lights that you can get at places like Costco. I don't know specific models. For some reason we don't discuss them here on CPF as often as you might expect. Maybe this is a good time to start.

OpticalStandards

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the quick replies. Sorry for the confusion.
I should have mentioned that this is for residential use.

I am looking for something on a smaller scale. A light without a cord that can be plugged directly into an outlet. Something I can put in several rooms.

I had been using a florescent tube model from Brinkmann.

John

altoon

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking, too, after a recent power failure. I didn't think about it before, but there are areas where an automatic power failure light is needed for safety. I don't want anyone running down the stairs, or chopping vegetables, or in the shower when the power goes out.

We have an Intermatic PR3C in the foyer. It has an advertised 75 min. runtime and a plug-through receptacle. It also has a neon guide light, which will mark an exit if there's a fire and smoke but the power is still on. That orange glow can be annoying, though. The Intermatic started out in the kitchen and was banished to the foyer because of it.

I've ordered this First Alert power failure light that uses a 4" fluorescent. It has an advertised 4-hour runtime and can be used as a lantern. I'm going to plug it in over the kitchen counter. It has a bit of a kitchen appliance look, so it should fit in well there.

I'm also getting this Feit Eternalite LED Night Light/power failure light for the bathrooms, since we use nightlights in the bathrooms. I think a single led might be too dim in a larger room. It has an advertised 3-hour runtime.

Another option I have looked at is the TekPlate. These don't quite meet your requirements, as they run on 4 AAA batts. They have five amber leds and an advertised runtime of 48 hours. The advantage of the Tekplates is that they will fit with almost any room decor.

BTW, I picked the links above because of the pictures, not the prices. Hope this helps.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Target used to sell a small 4" flourescent tube model, plugs directly into wall outlet. I bought one about 18 months ago for $12.95

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF I need your help:)

looking into purchasing some but unable to find any that the output is around 8hr. or more w/ good quality. Here are an example of 2 I have found but there has to be more of a selection out there.

http://www.thegreenhead.com/2007/09/8-hour-emergency-power-failure-light.php seems decent

http://www.quakekare.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=48

I plan to purchase these lights as gifts for my grandmother and other family members. Fortunately my house will not need anything due to "all these wonderful toys" in my possession:whistle::)

Last edited:

Light Sabre

Enlightened
I bought several Energizer Weather Ready Rechargeable LED Lights P/N RCL1NM2WR. Walmart.com: Energizer Weather Ready Rechargeable LED: Camping They are wall pluggable emergency power outage lights. They have a high mode that only comes on when the power goes out or WHEN you unplug it from the wall outlet. The runtime on high was a little over 2 1/2 hours in sun mode then gradually diminishing in output. I stopped the test after 3 1/2 hrs so that I wouldn't run the battery all the way down. Presently I am testing low mode or what they call nightlight mode. It's too bright for a nightlight in my opinion. Package says 15 hours in low mode, will have the results in 15 hrs or so. They're $8.88 at Walmart B&M stores. Located in the flashlight section. Home Depot has them also for $10.

Light Sabre

Enlightened
The low mode of the Eveready rechargeable LED power outtage light ran for 20 hours in sun mode with 5 hours of diminishing light output after that. So that's 25 hours total compared to the 15 hours the packaging said. :thumbsup:

tabetha

Newly Enlightened
I have a NIGHTSEARCHER FOCUS, if the power cuts it automatically turns on.
It uses a 6v 6w bulb, with a 6ah battery, GEL, and is normally just left on permanently as intended, it comes with it's own mounting bracket, so nothing to plug in just put light onto bracket, which is very solid, mine is on my wall in the hallway, although can also be charged with the lead supplied via 12v, as the light also has a charging jack in it as well, as the underside contacts for the cradle.
It's a pretty tough little light to be honest, very floody rather than beamy, but I upgraded mine with 10W bulb, I am a flashaholic after all!
tabetha

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the info/help guys:twothumbs+

I believe the one LEDrechargeman noted will be the one I will purchase as gifts for the family.