Any fully regulated lights over 100 lumens?

FaithinGod

Newly Enlightened
Dear Members;

I have been searching and unable to find if any high quality and reasonably priced, fully regulated flashlight/spotlights over 100 lumens are available. If you know of any would you be so kind as to let me know?

Thank you so very much for your help.

Sincerely,

FaithinGod

Robban

Enlightened
I think you'll have to specify what's reasonable to you. Remember that the members of this board don't have any problem with paying 200-300 bux for a quality light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

cy

Flashaholic
welcome to cpf, faithingod,

if you go by spec's...

early versions of Surefire U2 were rated 100 lumens. was downgraded shortly after release.

some Surefire L2 are rated 100 lumens, whereas SF L4 are rated at 60 lumens. in actual use all three brightness depends upon luxeon lottery.

luxeon lottery will decide if you get 100 lumens more than spec's.

safest way to get a regulated 100+ lumen light is a trilux maglite conversion with CC regulated board.

here's pic of a tri-Ubin fatman 2C mag conversion driven by 2x 17500 li-ion protected cell pack.

mag trilux.JPG

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember there were a few McGizmo lights(a PR or PR-T head based) that were putting out up wards of 150 to 200 lumens with a LuxV a while back(post a WTB in custom BST forum wouldn't hurt). I suggest you email Don, since his more recent Aleph platform is very versatile and with a DB917 and a 5 w emitter you got your self a light putting out way more than 100 lumens and regulated as well(at least I think the DB's are regulated, otherwise a Badboy board would do that too).

Nick

Lexus

Enlightened
I fully agree with 270winchester, the Aleph lights are one way to avoid luxeon lottery. If you get yourself a V-bin luxV or better, you are on the safe side.
Bin codes are explained here:

http://home.comcast.net/~theledguy/bin_codes/

I got an Aleph1 BB1000 WX1T this friday and W-bins are 147.7 - 192.0 lumens.

With a 2x123 body you need a Badboy, 3x123 and more then Downboy is the way to go.

One warning though: Aleph lights are not cheap, not sure if they qualify as "reasonably priced". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

cy

Flashaholic
only catch is to find an aleph or PR-T with a Wbin.

while finding a good Wbin is easier than finding an Xbin. both are hard to find someone willing to let loose.

a few months ago someone from Korea came up a large batch of nice Wbins. these all got snatched up of course.

post a WTB Wbin, you may get lucky /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

whereas it's easy to find a tri-TWOJ maglight conversion that puts out 100+ lumens. since you stated spotlight, larger may be OK.

don't forget to subtract min of 40-45% transmission loss from rated lumen output.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not sure if they are fully regulated or not, but 3rd shift makes some lights like the post above for around $ 80 - 90.

You need to be careful about "real Lumens out the front" vs "what the LED should do. It is not that easy to actually obtain more than 40 Lumens out the front of a light from a Lux III in actual use.

FaithinGod

Newly Enlightened
Dear CPF members,

Thank you Robban; cy; 270winchester; Lexus and HarryN for your very informative replies. I was considering the idea of "reasonable" price to be something around $100.00.

Thank you again.

Sincerely,

FaithinGod

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a regulated light of 100 lumens around $100 it looks like you will be spending $35 for a Lux V emitter. That leaves you with $65 for the body. A custom light like an Aleph would be too high priced for your budget.

You'd probably be in the price range of a Chinese Lux V light with lots of pocket change. The build of the Chinese light wouldn't be as good but it would fit your purpose. I don't know how regulated the lights are but the lights work.

You might check out Amondotech. and check out their Lux V lights. Or are the Amondotech lights really Lux V clones?

wtraymond

Enlightened
The Inova T4 is a fully regulated LED rated at 100 lumens. It's small, built like a tank, and rechargeable with a li-ion battery included. It comes with an AC and a DC charger (seperate chargers!) and it's only about $100.

The Battery Station sells them for $99+shipping here.

wtraymond

Enlightened
Hey, I forgot. Battery Station also sells the new regulated Pelican M6 LED HA3 special edition. I think it's also rated at about 100 lumens and is also $99. I've got a couple of these and they're great, but use 2 CR123s. I don't know how this light performs with a single 17670 or Pila 168S. And I don't know if you can use two RCR123s safely.

IMHO the Inova is a better deal if you want a rechargeable light. The Pelican is better if you don't want a rechargeable.

FaithinGod

Newly Enlightened
Dear CPF members;

Thank you also, wtraymond; kongfuchicken, and TrueBlue for your replies that are also very helpful indeed. I greatly appreciate the help of all CPF members which you so charitibly offer to those of us who are struggling with sorting through the mass of information on flashlights.

Sincerely;

FaithinGod

A

AmondoTech

At amondotech, we only carry Luxeon LED lights when we mention 1, 3 and 5 watts. I don't carry any knockouts.

--- Wayne

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, Wayne for straightening me out. I needed the stretch. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

By the way I've bought from AmondoTech before and I will again.