HDS EDC QC Concerns

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it weren't for the birthday funding I received (in advance /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif) I doubt whether I'd be able to justify $180 for a light. For that amount, I expect at least average quality control. Perhaps that's exactly what I got and my problems were reversible without a trip back to the shop...thus far.

At first, my new light wouldn't turn on. Then I discovered a very hard press on the switch was required. The ease of actuation was supposed to be a selling point!? Turns out that the contact spring and snap dome were installed backwards which also prevented the light from properly standing on end - another feature of the light.

Rubber was extruding from the center seam and the mid section could not be turned - only the tailcap could be removed. Using great force, I was able to unscrew the head from the rest and found the o-ring was damaged.

I looked several times but missed any battery changing instructions, but that could be my fault and they could be on the instruction sheet.

Now my light has taken to intermittant flickering and the cell is not discharged. I had expected better and hope that HDS is as reliable a company as SureFire, StreamLight, Pelican, etc.

Any other members with problems? I really hope I'm one of very few with QC issues, as I realize even the best products will have an occassional glitch.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, not yet, I only got the light on Friday and I'm still "learning the light." I posted this to see what other, more experienced, members might have to add.

I'll e-mail Henry because I suspect he'd want to know of any problems. This is my first Cutting Edge experience and maybe the relatively minor issues I've had are just part of manufacturing new, semi-custom-exotic, lights and trying to keep up with the demand.

stringj

Newly Enlightened
I received one of Henry's lights last week also. While it isn't perfect, it is really close. The things I think aren't perfect are things I knew about before purchasing, so no complaint.

Jerry

Norbury

Newly Enlightened
The standard of finish on my recently purchased Ultimate 42 (I bought the '42 because of runtime) is not in my opinion appropriate for a light in this price bracket - there are some minor "pinhole" imperfections clearly visible where the anodizing does not fully cover the knurled surface. My first impression was that the light had been slightly used and/or mishandled because of incomplete anodizing coverage. A Surefire U2 purchased at the same time has a near-perfect finish and no visible "pinholes".

When I contacted the manufacturer AND the dealer the dealer's response was "It must have been damaged in transit because it was perfect when it left here" and the manufacturer's response was "this is normal and you have to be prepared to accept this sort of thing".

I have no complaints at all about the light's performance - it's only the finish that I am a little disappointed in.

I guess I'll look elsewhere for future purchases...

adimag

Newly Enlightened
I got my Basic 42 last monday and it is perfect. The finsih is flawless and the switch works very smoothly. I am very happy with the EDC.

Manifest

Newly Enlightened
I am very happy with my EDC. Only little issue is the clip but that is pretty well known.

LowWorm

Enlightened
My slightly protruding switch (and not so hot clip) were my only issues. But fixed the switch, am eagerly awaiting "Clip: The Sequel", and love the light.

I've noticed little hairline imperfections in my HA3 too, but if I'm right, those are to be expected. They dont' bug me.