Deleting program from Windows XP

sbebenelli

Enlightened
I have a program I was going to delete and went to the add and remove programs in control panel and it's not there. How do I go about removing it?

drizzle

Enlightened
If it's not there then there are a couple of possibilities.

1. You "installed" it by simply unzipping it into a directory tree without changing the registry. I have several programs on my computer like that and they are the simplest to remove, simply delete the entire directory tree.

2. The program was installed but somehow either the registry never recorded it or was corrupted; or you already removed it using the add/remove programs and what you are seeing is some left over stuff.

Can you give a few more details?

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
A little more info would be useful, what program is it? check if the program has an uninstall feature thru the start menu in XP.

HTH
AlexGT

sbebenelli

Enlightened
It's a demo for printing invoices for automotive repair shops. It's two different one's from the same company. One's called 123orderes and the other is Dealertrax Shop order. They do not have unistall in the start menu or in the control panel.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Did you install it from a CD? some programs the uninstall program is on the installation CD.

RchGrav

Newly Enlightened
Right click on the shortcut icon for the program, then click properties and click the "Find Target" button.

This will take you to the directory the executable and its other files are installed in. Delete this directory.

Delete the icons on the start menu and desktop.

You can pretty much assume its gone at this point and that the space once occupied is reclaimed. Do this for the other program too.

sbebenelli

Enlightened
OK thanks. That's what I was going to do but I thought there might be some things in the registry that won't get removed if I go at it that way.

drizzle

Enlightened
You're right, there may be things left in the registry.

I hate to say anything definitive but I believe that even if you leave some stuff there it shouldn't cause problems.

mccavazos

Enlightened
I wouldn't Just delete the directory, that could open up a can of worms that you don't want to mess with. Go to the directroy and look for a uninstall wizard, and If thats not presnt try and run the setup executable, somtimes some programs will recognize a previous install and when you try and run setup again, it will assume that you want to remove it, and it will give you taht option. If it doesnt, you can dlete the directory, but afterwards I would do a search for the name of teh program in an All File and folders on the C Drive and see if there are any other traces, then i would run regcleaner http://www.worldstart.com/weekly-download/archives/reg-cleaner4.3.htm and look for any keys.

If you need any help pm or email me.