Looking for a regulated luxeon 2 AA light.

WDR65

Enlightened
Not sure about all that is out there. I like the looks of the Streamlight Luxeon Jr. but I just saw a beamshot and it doesn't look light it would have much throw. I may still get one, but I was still wondering what else might be out there with more throw or output. I like the idea of 4AA propolymer, but I was looking for something a little smaller for now. Thanks in advance.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Top, ALX-2512AA Bottom, Streamlight Jr. Lux.

dsc004465dy.jpg

Left ALX-2512AA Right, Streamlight Jr. Lux. at 15.5". Both lights use AA's. Equal in throw and sidespill.

dsc004441cc.jpg

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

RIP

Newly Enlightened
Flashlight Reviews lists these 2AA lights

Nuwai ALX-2512AA
Heliotek HTE-1 rev.2
Elektrolumens XM-3
Costco 2AA Luxeon
CMG Reactor
Streamlight JR Luxeon

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a mini mag with a NexGen sandwiche from the shoppe. Add a reflector and you'll get a better beam than either of those shown above. The mini mag may not be built like a tank, or even as well as the lights shown above, but when it does get really beat up, you can just drop the sandwiche into another $8 host and have a new light.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
A 27mm reflector and 29.2 mm mineral glass lens (costing about $8 plus shipping) can be easily added to the Costco 2AA luxeon light - if you have one - to provide much better throw than the stock light (seach the Costco threads). My sample had about a 450 cd hotspot originally which went up to 700 cd with the upgrade. The hotspot is however considerably smaller than before as there is of course no more light, just better focused light.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are looking for throw, I'd take a look at the 2AA Aurora from Advancedmart. Here's Quickbeam's review:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/aurora_alj-012aa.htm

It's not a luxeon- it uses the new Nichia Jupiter LED which is comparable to a Lux 1 with greater efficiency, with regulation to around 3.5 hours. The best/most unique thing about this light is the beam pattern- the "spot" is a true spotlight type beam with well defined edges like a theater light. Great throw outdoors- you can light up the tree tops.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking for 2AA regulated high output spot lights for my wife and kids bikes. Couple the aurora and a $4.31 bike mount and the 2/$60 price makes them come out at $34.31 each. Looks like their pathetic 3 (5mm) LED unregulated lights will be replaced.
A metal flashlight is a hellava lot more durable than a plastic bike light! I plan on feeding it NiMH rechargables (2500mAH) time to start ordering and thanks for the reminder Solstice!

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
you can put a 17mm IMS reflector in the Streamlight, and also put a luxIII HD in if you were to, and get lots better beam.

ckcanon

Newly Enlightened
According to

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/index1.html

the throw-kings are:

Peak Kino Bay 1-AA ~400 $70 Runtime 1.5 hr
SL Jr Luxeon 2-AA ~442 $30 Runtime 1.8 hr
Electrolumens 2-AA ~450 $40 Runtime 2 hr
Costco Luxeon 2-AA ~500 $15 Runtime 4.5 hr

If size is your god, it's the Peak; if money (and throw), then it's the Costco.

WDR65

Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies guys. I don't have any of these........yet. Your answers have given me a lot to consider and I'm sure I'll get at least a couple of these lights. Just for tests, lol.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
ckcanon said:
According to

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/index1.html

the throw-kings are:

Peak Kino Bay 1-AA ~400 $70 Runtime 1.5 hr
SL Jr Luxeon 2-AA ~442 $30 Runtime 1.8 hr
Electrolumens 2-AA ~450 $40 Runtime 2 hr
Costco Luxeon 2-AA ~500 $15 Runtime 4.5 hr

If size is your god, it's the Peak; if money (and throw), then it's the Costco.

[/ QUOTE ]

On the EL XM-3, according to Roy's run-time plots (and pretty accurate in my real-life use!) the XM-3 will get over 4 hours of regulated run-time on a set of lithium AA's! Some lights don't really perform a whole lot better on lithiums than on alkaline or NiMH, but the XM-3 REALLY likes them! My EL XM-3 on lithium AA's is EASILY my most used light.

PJD

Raven

Enlightened
Let's make this interesting.

How many lux III lights use aa batteries. I know the gerber lx3 does, but it uses 3 cells, and isn't regulated.

But it puts out a massive amount of light.

I'm hoping gerber puts out a regulated version.