Jupiter-Nichia?

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is this new Jupiter-Nichia led? Is it just an led jacked-up on steroids? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

chiphead

Niko

Newly Enlightened
The Nichia Jupiter isn't too new. You can read a good post about it Here and Here. There are some more posts on the forum about it, and I belive that the LED Museum might have a review as well, but I could be mistaken.

I wouldn't say it's on steroids. It is more or less comparable to an R Bin Luxeon, or one of the Cree XLamp series.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I first encountered its predecessor back when we were working with Luxeon low domes and installed an engineering sample in a McLux which was the contemporary light I was working with at the time:

mclux-head.jpg

Nichia has been at this LED for quite some time now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

It first showed up in a production light, to my knowledge, in a rather sophisticated headlamp that never got out of Japan. It was (is) a National (Panasonic) that has variable output as well as an adjustable beam pattern:

National-BF-263-front.jpg

The LED's are now finally available but are shipped from Japan. As I understand it, the flux bin, P12, (36.0 -42.8 lumens at 350 mA) is what one can expect to receive. The bin P13 ( 42.8 to 51.0 lumens at 350 mA) is the unobtanium "U" or "X" equivilant and I suspect the bin that LRI was planning on use in the Proton which has now been rumored to be shelved. Since the Jupiter can be driven at 500 mA, it is conceivable that one of the P13's could yield 60 lumens. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Cree has a 60 lumen 7090 by their claims which is available and of course there is a K2 that is at least identified in a bin class at 60 lumens in the same drive current range. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif For white wall hunters, the Luxeon stands the greatest shot at acceptance due to the EOS phosphor system I would suspect but in terms of useable output at non coffee warmer levels of thermal dissipation, the Cree and Jupiter may well give Luxeon some competition.

Just passing through.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/str.gif

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've just given my QIII to my nephew for his B-Day. It well be interesting to see how one (Jupiter) compares to MOD-MiniMag/w BadBoy1000.

chiphead

*Retired*
McGizmo said:
I first encountered its predecessor back when we were working with Luxeon low domes and installed an engineering sample in a McLux which was the contemporary light I was working with at the time:

mclux-head.jpg

Nichia has been at this LED for quite some time now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

It first showed up in a production light, to my knowledge, in a rather sophisticated headlamp that never got out of Japan. It was (is) a National (Panasonic) that has variable output as well as an adjustable beam pattern:

National-BF-263-front.jpg

The LED's are now finally available but are shipped from Japan. As I understand it, the flux bin, P12, (36.0 -42.8 lumens at 350 mA) is what one can expect to receive. The bin P13 ( 42.8 to 51.0 lumens at 350 mA) is the unobtanium "U" or "X" equivilant and I suspect the bin that LRI was planning on use in the Proton which has now been rumored to be shelved. Since the Jupiter can be driven at 500 mA, it is conceivable that one of the P13's could yield 60 lumens. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Cree has a 60 lumen 7090 by their claims which is available and of course there is a K2 that is at least identified in a bin class at 60 lumens in the same drive current range. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif For white wall hunters, the Luxeon stands the greatest shot at acceptance due to the EOS phosphor system I would suspect but in terms of useable output at non coffee warmer levels of thermal dissipation, the Cree and Jupiter may well give Luxeon some competition.

Just passing through.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/str.gif

I haven't looked at the Jupiters lately, have they improved they lately at all (the huge tint variation in the beam)?

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flying Turtle said:
Isn't it a Jupiter in the River Rock lanterns?

Geoff
Yes it is! That lantern is awesome. I wonder why not many manufacturers produce lanterns using Luxeons or Cree LEDs... There is a huge market craving for good battery powered lanterns. Now with the XR-E, they could finally outshine the smaller fluorescent models. Traditional manufacturers are sleeping on this...

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Newbie,
I am sitting on a bunch of Jupiter based LED fixtures (12V) that I need to complete in assembly and sell off to a dealer. Shortly after I finalized their design and had parts machined, I was informed about the new "083" package from Nichia. It would seem that they changed course and have put their energy into this LED instead. Planning ahead, I had to start over and design a fixture based on this LED and this is what I have in the works now. I also will be using some of the Cree XR-E's.

I understand that Nichia has made progress on their phosphor coatings and are getting better uniformity of tint but I don't think they are there yet. My Lanai is lit up by a string of these right now as I type this and I just mentioned the fact in another thread! :) You have seen the "083" package (and how NOT to mount it on MCPCB :grin2: ). It is much smaller than the Jupiter. The Rigel is pretty cool too but neither of them can compete at the level of expectation held on CPF, IMHO. The 083 is expected to move up to 3 watts and 180 lumens mid next year or so I have heard. Time will tell.

Latest posts