L1 on low vs. Ultra-G

matthewdanger

Enlightened
This might be asking a lot...

Just for a frame of reference. Can someone post observations on how the low level of the L1 compares to the output of the CMG Infinty Ultra-G? Beam shots would be great, but I am mostly interested in your observations!

Thanks,
Matt

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
You asked for it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

l1vsinfultra1.jpg

Exposure compensation set to -1 to bring out more detail in the beams:
l1vsinfultra2.jpg

The L1 is dimmer, plus this is a 4th-generation, so it has a very focused spot. The Inf Ultra has a whole lot more spill and more overall light. Mine is a standard CMG version, because I just packed up the Ultra-G HA3 in an envelope to be sent to its new owner tomorrow.

But one thing's for sure, especially when you look real close, these aren't the nicest beams on the block. Colors are accurate in this beamshot. Man they weren't kidding about tint shift when Luxeons are underdriven.

matthewdanger

Enlightened
Great beam shots! Thanks.

I really want to like the L1, but I'm really not sure the low level would be adequate. Surefire are you listening??? I think most users would be willing to give up just a bit of runtime for a low level that is a bit brighter.

Lumen

Newly Enlightened
I bought an old generation L1 a couple years back, and it quit working on me a couple months ago. I sent it in to Surefire and they sent it back to me with the original body, only this time, it had the newer genereration head and tailcap switch. I have to say my L1 now is even better than it was before. I love the throw on high beam and low beam is perfect for night adjusted eyes and has what seems unending runtime. This thing throws just as good as my T2 and T3. Awesome light in my opinion! As for my CMG, it puts out more light than L1 on low, but it has this horrible bluish-greenish tint with artifacts, so I think I'm just gonna give it away to one of my friends.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really love my Surefire lights, but I think HDS ate the L1 for breakfast. Sometimes the L1's low is not low enough, other times it's too high. Even the Basic 60 does a great job. The U2 is my main working light but I use the B60 to fill the gaps in the lower levels. And for those who have the Ultimate, well.. suffice to say they've got every imaginable level from lowest to 42/60 lumens, however bright or dim up to them..

Luxman

Enlightened
KevinL,
Very nice beamshots - Excellent detail !!

Matthewdanger,
Like Kevin said, sometimes the L1's low is too high, sometimes not. For my application (astronomy stuff) my red LED L1's low is always too high! So I put a dark red filter on it and that cut the intensity about in half which seems to help a lot for me.
Maybe, if you have only looked at it in a brightly lit store, you are underestimating its intensity. IMO its also surprising what one can see as the eyes adapt to the dark. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif