G2 new LOTC question

matthewdanger

Enlightened
For anyone who has purchased or seen the new G2 with LOTC:

Is the packaging marked in anyway to indicate that it has the LOTC? Is there a way to tell by looking?

I happed to work a block from a GanderMountain and they occasionally put the G2 on sale. I am thinking I will pick one up next time, but I want the new LOTC.

Thanks,
Matt

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tried to find the thread about the packages/"tells" for the new style LOTC G2's but I had no luck. Best thing to do is to open the package and try it in store.

IIRC, the tan, OD green, and yellow G2's should by now have the new LOTC's. There might be some older black ones still out there. None of this is guaranteed, though, but tan is a newer color and should be OK.

matthewdanger

Enlightened
Thanks chmsam. I found some info. It seems that if the batteries are installed and there is a significant gap between the cap and the body, then it is most likely a LOTC.

If I were Surefire I would have at least printed up a sticker to place on the packages touting the new LOTC.

matthewdanger

Enlightened
OK... I have confirmation. I was able to pull out all of the Yellow and OD G2s that my local GanderMountain had in stock. I was not able to look in and see if the batteries were uninstalled but it very easy to tell by feeling the balance of the package. Also the newer ones with the LOTC have their tail caps backed off significantly further than the non-LOTC models. I picked up a LOTC version in OD green. I like it already.

Summary...

Non-LOTC: The balance of the package feels like it is right of center and the tail cap is tightened closer to the body of the light.

LOTC: The balance of the package is centered and tail cap is back off the body significantly.

Note: It is much easier to see and feel the difference if you have several to look at.

firefly99

Enlightened
Here a picture of the G2 with and without LOTC
g2a3an.jpg

To tell whether it is LOTC, remove the tailcap & press the button. If button does not fall out, then it is LOTC.

matthewdanger

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
John N said:

No, the LOTC is slightly longer.

-john

[/ QUOTE ]

So as long as you have one to compare to, there is another reliable way to tell which ones have the LOTC.

Geologist

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
firefly99 said:
Here a picture of the G2 with and without LOTC
g2a3an.jpg

To tell whether it is LOTC, remove the tailcap & press the button. If button does not fall out, then it is LOTC.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know the black G2 with LOTC were available yet ! Where did you get yours?

clays

Newly Enlightened
I got my black LOTC model from BrightGuy a month or so ago. They've been out a little while.

matthewdanger

Enlightened
Just be careful. The places that I have looked at have had a mix of LOTC and non-LOTC models. The stock is still rotating.

firefly99

Enlightened
The LOTC are about 3mm longer.

Got the Black G2 w/LOTC at my local SF dealer.

retroconcrete

Newly Enlightened
Do the new G2s still use the plastic lexan lens, or do they have a pyrex lens? If it's the former case, where could I buy a pyrex lens?

Geologist

Enlightened
just saw the LOTC version of the G2s today. I almost bought one, but resisted the urge. (already have a C2, 6P, and old style G2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ). Now if I can just find a buyer for my older G2, maybe I'll go back to the store.....

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just picked up a black G2 with LOTC from Brightguy this week. Free shipping too. It looks almost the same as the LOTC on my G2Z except the grooves on the G2 are a little shorter. Nice light for the $$. I like the G2Z better, but I'm a flashaholic that way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

alantch

Enlightened
I email SF about my G2s not having the LOTCs and they sent me 2 tailcaps which are supposedly LOTCs. On close inspection and comparison, I cannot find any difference with any of them. How else can I know for sure the LOTCs are what they are?

alantch

Enlightened
I email SF about my G2s not having the LOTCs and they sent me 2 tailcaps which are supposedly LOTCs. On close inspection and comparison, I cannot find any difference with any of them. How else can I know for sure the LOTCs are what they are?