Fenix L1+ AA Light Mod with POP2

djpark

Enlightened
Last weekend my local cpfers had a 'light show' gathering and one of the attraction was the Fenix L1 light which is similar (or same?) as this one.

Being made of tungsten stainless steel, it sure felt heavy for the size. But it gave a kind of solid feeling and also could imagine the hardy strength.

fenix.jpg

Running on an alkaline battery, it took about 400mA current. Assuming the efficiency to be around 80%, I could imagine the current flow to the Luxeon could be around 150mA which calculates to 0.5W. For this size, it sure looks bright.

As the creator of POP (PIC-O-PWM) and its variants, my hands get itchy whenever I see a beautiful host. It is perfect for 14500 with reverse clickie.

So I opened the head and found this.

fenix-original-head.jpg

The star is ground to fit the AA head, it is presumed to be RW0J. The boost circuit with a rather huge inductor is covered with epoxy. The heatsink is designed very cleverly.

Now it is replaced with POP2 sandwich board loaded with latest POP2 v2.31.

fenix-pop2-head.jpg

Now it runs on 14500 li-ion rechargeable with 400mA current flow at max brightness. Being a POP2 equipped light, it does regular things such as multi-brightness and strobe/sos. It should go on for close to 2 hours with a single 14500 cell at max brightness output.

I didn't have much time to take beamshots, but here is a few shots taken with max brightness. They were all taken with F2.8 1/2 sec setting.

fenix-pop2-beam.jpg

I wish to find some time to take more comparison shots.

Enjoy.

-- dj

[Edit] I was reminded that this light is actually Fenix L1+ not L1. So the title is changed accordingly.

wquiles

Flashaholic
Re: Fenix L1 AA Light Mod with POP2

It is so awesome to take a "simple" or "boring" light and give it new life with your modules /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Very nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goodjob.gif

Will

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree with Will, VERY nice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

cgpeanut

Enlightened

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif DJ!

Is it possible to fit a 20mm IMS reflector in there? Maybe a glass lens too?

excellent mod,

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmm. What's the MAH on the AA sized LIon? Even a DD (allthough thermal properties are lackign) would be awesome little flamethrower.

Is tungsten SS is heavier than other SS?

I wonder if this would be brighter with lion DD and luxIII vs a stock SL Jr lux? Would be a good pair. Long runtime, and then small and super bright!

nexro

Enlightened

Awesome mod /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I had the chance to tryout the light the other day but it was really too bright outside.

The form factor of the light is very nice, but I still think the weight is a bit on the high side.

cgpeanut,
An IMS 20mm won't fit in there, but the IMS 17mm will fit nicely. I just tried that yesterday. However, the stock reflector seems to give a better beam and it's a metal reflector (aluminium I think). The unit already comes with a mineral glass lens and another spare one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

AuroraLite

Enlightened

Dj,

Very nice work, breathing new life to a flashlight... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

It looks like a decent host size wise, but I'd assume the weight is a little heavier than most similar size Al lights. I remembered reading it might have an Al version at some time, hopefully it will be more pocketable than this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

djpark

Enlightened

Yes, Chi.

I was told that the aluminum version may come with 1.5W boost instead of 0.5W. I will surely grab a few then.

-- dj

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*

Has anyone done a runtime with this light?
If the boost is increased from 0.5W to 1.5W then how much would it affect runtime?

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast

dj can you disconnect one of the connections to the emitter
and measure the current from the stock board?

Also, is the star mounted such that you can't see the bin code?

djpark

Enlightened

4Sevens,

The original board is taken out so I can't test in the real environment. But a quick test with 'long' wire attached shows about 0.13A through TW0J and 0.56A through the battery.

This figures are provably very misleading and unfair since lots of inconsistent errors are incorporated.

1) I used TW0J while the real led may be RW0H.
2) My DMM is a cheapo and does not give real RMS value.
3) To measure the led current, the wire to led was long through the DMM but the battey wire was short. To measure the battery current, it was the other way.

The Luxeon is glued and the star is trimmed to fit. So I didn't want to open it to check the bin code. Youc an't see from the bottom or open like Q3. The tint on mine looks more like -X1- tint.

-- dj

djpark

Enlightened

This is run time chart of Fenix L1+ modded with POP2 running on 14500 li-ion cell. I use 3 different 14500 cells. Interestingly the 3rd cell was charged last year during H&M contest and still give good current output.

fenix-l1plus-runtime.gif

The number has no meaning, it is just reading of ADC from the light censor. The difference in brightness is most likely due to the position of the light against the censor, not the real difference.

Through the time on regulation, the current was steady at 450mA. The spike towards the end of the running indicates the LDO is going off regulation due to the low battery voltage and the following period is wide-open.

Later I will put back the original 1AA boost circuit and get the run time measurement to compare.

-- dj

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*

djpark,
Thank you for the runtime cart. I will look forward to the original 1AA boost circuit run time chart as well. Very nice of you to do this.

Krit

Enlightened

Could you tell me how to get this 1AA body.?

Very nice job....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

djpark

Enlightened

LifeNRA, this is specially for you.

I put back the original AA boost circuit to L1+ light and did a run time logging with Energizer alkalone AA battery and below is the result compared to the POP2 on 14500.

fenix-l1plus-runtime-pop2.gif

fenix-l1plus-runtime-aa.gif

The brightness is no match to the high cyrrent of li-ion based POP2, but it is reasonable (actually good) for AA driven light.

Even after 8 hours, it still had some good light left, but I stopped to start new logging with NiMh rechargeables.

-- dj

[Edit]

My Energizer battery I used to test original AA circuit may not have been in good shape. No doubt it was a new one, it had been in the hot drawer for more than 2 years. The other 2 that were together had been leaking. I will use a fresh one from the shop and test again for fairer result.

I am also logging with Maha 2200mAh pair and Sanyo 2300mAh pair. They were left unused after charged more than 6 months ago. It shows some funny result. I will report when done.

koumine

Newly Enlightened

"Fenix L1 AA Light Mod with POP2 " and this title was wrong,and Right is : Fenix L1+ AA Light Mod with POP2.

but Fenix L1 and Fenix L1-P will be sell in few days.and i bought them for more,i bought 3-Fenix L1 and 2-Fenix L1P,and at this time i have bought 6 Fenix L1+.

the newest and last news at :
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1060735&page=0&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1#Post1060735

YOU WILL BUY L1P or L1 at :

I'll tell you the NEW WEB site add.,and in few days.
thank you
and L1+ shoul be History.You cannt buy it and more.

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*

djpark,
Thank you very much for the runtime plots. I really do appreciate it.

djpark

Enlightened
Thanks for reminding me. I only realized it when the regular L1 and L1-P are released. The title is changed now.

Runtime chart for unmodded L1+ will be updated soon with NiMh cells. It will be intersting to compare when L1 and L1-P are available.

[Edit]
The run time chart for original AA version is not part of this mod, but included for comparison and also to serve those curious including me.
Run time with Sanyo 2300mAh NiMh for original L1+ added.

Latest posts