Bad news for flashaholics

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
They should just pass a law to change the earth's rotation to be 25 hours. Then there would be enough time to get everything done, or the extra hour of sleep would come in handy too.

nethiker

Enlightened
"...could adversely affect livestock...."

Out of concern for the cows, I suggest we don't tell them of the change.

Greg

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll be the first to say that kids won't enjoy another hour of trick or treating in the light. The only reason I go trick or treating is to play with my lights.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
By Gadfrey, I despise daylight savings time.

Just pick a dang time and stick with it.

Here's a radical idea;

If you need more hours of daylight to do your work..............

Get up and get started earlier..

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
what is really sad is that I haven't had to change my computer for DST for 14 years, it does it automatically. Now either they have to make a patch to make it change at new dates or disable it and do it manually.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
I heard that the law will be delay until 2007.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
25 hours? i'll vote for that!
i suppose 26 would be pushing it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would only last 4 weeks longer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

I think we should be like Arizona. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

EDIT: It is dark in my garage 24/7 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
How many out there have basements? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

OZ

Newly Enlightened
What is Daylight Savings Time? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

In Hawaii we have only two times: "Day and Night" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
It's really stupid is what it is. If I recall correctly, it sounds like it will save a lot of oil, but in reality the total amount of oil it will save is only a fraction of the amount of oil we use in America each day.

I'm on a modern computer with a modern operating system that syncronizes with a time server anyway, so hopefully I won't have to worry about adjusting the time on the computer, but it's going to be a joke for all the old mainframe computers that will be off an hour -- especially since some security procedures and such require 2 computers to have the correct time set, being an hour off could break communications between the two.

I suppose it will cause a mini y2k effect -- having to fix a lot of software and programs so they're not effected by it "just in case"

Geologist

Enlightened
If they wanted to save some oil, maybe getting rid of a LOT of the SUVs would be a start! Second, maybe people could not leave their engines running when they are not driving their automobile. Third, walk or ride a bicycle once in awhile. I know these suggestions seem a bit too "off the wall", but they would save probably more oil than more daylight savings time!

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
no problem geologist. I rant sometimes too when I have too much stress or don't get laid for long time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Saaby said:

I'm on a modern computer with a modern operating system that syncronizes with a time server anyway, so hopefully I won't have to worry about adjusting the time on the computer, but it's going to be a joke for all the old mainframe computers that will be off an hour -- especially since some security procedures and such require 2 computers to have the correct time set, being an hour off could break communications between the two.

I suppose it will cause a mini y2k effect -- having to fix a lot of software and programs so they're not effected by it "just in case"

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree that it's supremely stupid. It's unfortunate that even your "modern operating system" may have problems. Don't forget that a lot of the time calulations done by programs use the simple expedient of converting time to seconds, then subtract or add the number of seconds (3600 per hour) and then convert back to the conventional format... date and time.

That time server does not send a month, date and year. It sends an absolute value that your system has to convert to localtime. I have not checked the spec, but it's probably the number of seconds since Midnight, Jan 1, 1970, UTC.

There have been cases where the wrong people were punished because the electronic audit trail did not account for time zones. Think ATM video.

There are many electronic locks that feature a lockout for non-managers until a set time. This breaks badly when DST is played with.

Oh, well. I already sent my congress people mail explaining that it's a bad idea.

Daniel

idleprocess

Flashaholic
DST is stupid. If businesses and local governments want to save energy by operating when it's daylight, they'll change their hours accordingly - and maybe stagger shifts or change operating hours to help ease traffic congestion (no small waste of energy itself).

Save energy? Last I checked, most office buildings are air-conditioned 24/7, with many of them also constantly illuminated. What are the savings, exactly? How about we encourage overall efficiency - something that keeps paying off - at exponentially greater rates?

I work in a 24-hour facility, so DST is just a huge nuisance. My day can start at 0700, 0900, 1000, 1500, or 2300. Only when it starts at 1000 do I have a fair chance of being in daylight at both ends of it regardless of the season.

The average American is away from home close to 12 hours a day anyway - eliminating commutes in darkness is impossible during winder months.

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't believe the morons are at it again. Stealing an hour from the morning and tacking it on to the evening is NOT SAVING ANYTHING. So instead of turning my lights on earlier in the evening, I turn them on when it's dark in the morning. They think they can legislate an extra hour of daylight? that's just how stupid our law makers are.
My wife hates it more than I do, and that's saying something. In the summertime, without daylight savings, it would stay light till close to 8pm. When I was a kid, I hated to go to be when it was still light out in the summertime. I think they should abolish it all year round.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually it has been proven that there are quite a few people out there who are so strange they have an aversion to darkness. They get depressed and sometimes unruly. This is an attempt to placate them without medication. Some don't even know they are abnormally affected by darkness.

We can only hope that in time they find the help they need to live a normal life.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just another guy who's annoyed by daylight saving time chipping in..

It seems that thousands of years of human progress has been lost on folks trying to 'save' daylight time. Ever since the first caveman lit his firebrand torch, put it in his integrating sphere with spectrophotometer and told the other guy "I have more lumens than you do", mankind has (as we would like to believe) no longer been at the mercy of daylight.

Well, maybe I still do depend on daylight, but only enough to shoot 1/800 f/8.0 with my 300mm (effective 480mm) telephoto camera lens at full zoom. And besides image stabilizers help. Besides, nothing that a tripod won't fix. Ain't progress WONDERFUL?

[ QUOTE ]
Pellidon said:
We can only hope that in time they find the help they need to live a normal life.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

CPF awaits. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif We fear not the dark, HE WHO OWNS THE LIGHT OWNS THE NIGHT!!