Question about torches

BBRex

Newly Enlightened
This is my first post here, so if there's a good answer to this already, please let me know. I've been thinking about getting an Inova X5 or a Nuwai Q3. Are there any recommendations or is there another, better LED torch for < $50?

Thanks for your help.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF!

What are you going to use the light for? The X5 uses 5mm LED's, has really looooooong runtime, but it's not hyper bright. The QIII has quickly become a favorite around here. I haven't seen one, but I can tell you it has a Luxeon LED, so I expect it to be brighter than the X5 (with shorter batt runtime).

Have you been to flashlightreviews.com and/or www.theledmuseum.org? TONS of great info there. Both reviewers are CPF members too.

BBRex

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the welcome. I plan to use it for edc. I work until 1 a.m., and sometimes a light would come in handy on my way home from work. It would be quick uses, not lots of operation at any one time. I would prefer to have batteries that last a while. We lose power for 30 minutes to an hour a couple of nights a year at the office because of storms. I don't want to grab the torch and have it be out of juice.

As a newbie, I'm still not completely savvy with the lingo, so it's sometimes difficult for me to compare reviews and get a feel for what's better or what's worse.

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Q-III is a med flood beam pattern, it gives a decent throw with a nice wide beam width, the batteries... they last a good amount of time, for the light. If you do get this light I would suggest getting an upgraded one (there are a couple of people that sell them on B/S/T here) with a brighter led with longer runtime. I would also suggest getting a couple of recharable 123's and a charger for this light that way you get guilt free lums with it.

If you do a search for "walking flashlights" there will be so good recommendations for a light.

Doug

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the action, the Elektrolumens XM-3 is not a bad torh, 2AA Luxeon led with boost circuit about $40.

matthewdanger

Enlightened
I have an X5 and it is a great light. I think it would work for you pretty well. It runs "forever" on a set of batteries and lights up a room pretty well. The X5 is EXTREMELY durable and water-resistant. The Q3 is great light as well. You really can't go wrong with either, but the X5 is a great light for someone who is new to this.

PS-If you have a Fry's Electronics near you, they sell the X5 for 29.99 everyday. That is a steal!