NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        

Thread: Things I learned about flashlights while camping..

Flashaholic*

Default Things I learned about flashlights while camping..

I brought my usual bag of lights to the campground.... and had an excellent testing ground this time- we stayed at the "Primitive" tent area and it had heavy tree overgrowth that all but obscured the stars- there were very few others in our area and it was DARK.... I mean... can't see the hand in front of your face dark.

On to the lights:

I brought 3 headlights- a PT aurora, a PT Eos, and a 3way generic thing I picked up in Walmart. What I eneded up using the most? My Photon Freedom clipped to the brim of my hat. The eos was too focused for most things- the aurora put the light too close to my face (and attracted the bugs like crazy). The Photon provided enough light for walking and toned down to lowerlevels for close work.

I found that a MiniMag with a Madmax sandwich makes a great "walking" light- and my Nuwai QIII has great potential as a "long throw" light... and the size difference vs. light output difference is enough to make me leave my Surefire G2 home next trip.

My Coleman Cold cathode flourescent light makes a great table light- 4AA vs a propane tank and mantle... nice trade. Plenty bight, and excellent runtime. Plus the yellow plastic lens doesn't attract bugs like the propane light does.

My wife used my Streamlight Twintask 2L in "3 LED" mode almost exclusively the whole trip. Very versatile light and well worth it's packspace.

Default Re: Things I learned about flashlights while campi

Interesting how little light is needed in "quality" dark, eh?

A single 5mm LED makes a lot of light!

Bob

Flashaholic

I have found much the same in my own experiences. I love my Petzel Zippka for hands free, close up, activity light. An ARC AAA hanging in the tent or tarp is very effective. I keep trying out other lights for trail walking, long range spots, etc... Lots of fun for sure.

I just been camping in Norway, which is probably the worst place to go for a flashaholic.... It only gets dark about midnight and then not even that quality darkness mentioned above. At 4 something am the skies brighten again. Needless to say I didnt get much play out of the few lights I had brought. Mostly used the Petzl Tikka and Inova 24/7. My Aleph2 500mA wasn't even needed.
    I agree with Bob, could have done the whole trip on the Arc AAA. Amazing what quality darkness can do to make a light look bright. Norway is a great place to visit, highly recommended.

Flashaholic*

[ QUOTE ]
    pedalinbob said:
    Interesting how little light is needed in "quality" dark, eh?
    A single 5mm LED makes a lot of light!
    Bob

[/ QUOTE ]

The new Photon Freedom is quite bright for a single LED- really nice- next time I bring two- and leave the other headlights home.

Flashaholic*

[ QUOTE ]
    Gone Jeepin said:
    I have found much the same in my own experiences. I love my Petzel Zippka for hands free, close up, activity light. An ARC AAA hanging in the tent or tarp is very effective. I keep trying out other lights for trail walking, long range spots, etc... Lots of fun for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes I think the only reason I like to camp is to play in the dark.... oh... and Bar-b-q [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

[ QUOTE ]
    X33 said:
    I just been camping in Norway, which is probably the worst place to go for a flashaholic.... It only gets dark about midnight and then not even that quality darkness mentioned above. At 4 something am the skies brighten again

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow- I don't think I'll ever get that far away... I didn't even leave New Jersey this time... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Sounds great, though...

The thing I learned the hard way was I carried a Mag with spare bulb in the tailcap, it was very wet dark , was in the middle of knowhere my bulb blew and as I was reaching for the spare I managed to drop it in the mud, no spare no light no map. Now I carry atleast two LED Flashlights with me when I go camping

When my Dad, my uncle, and I go, camping, we usually light up the whole campground! LOL [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Where did you get that Coleman CCFL light? I've been looking for it and haven't had any luck.

Flashaholic*

How about switching to a CMG infinity Ultra for better battery life

Flashaholic*

[ QUOTE ]
    V8TOYTRUCK said:
    Where did you get that Coleman CCFL light? I've been looking for it and haven't had any luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Found it in Walmart quite a while back

Flashaholic*

I just got back from camping and hiking in Glacier National Park. Of course, I took a load of different flashlights, but I ran into a problem similar to X33 - I couldn't stay up late enough (exhausted from the hiking!) to actually need good flashlights. Even at 10:30pm, it wasn't really really dark. For the few times nature called in the middle of the night, the CMG Ultra-G with a single 5mm LED was more than enough light to do my business.

Guess I'll need to stay at lower latitudes, or do more fall/winter camping to really put the lights to use. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif[/img]