inova vs. xnova

jbg23

Newly Enlightened
looking for a light with good runtime, and decent brightness. I was looking at inova's since I have an x1 and know that they are built great, and seen some "xnova's". I am sure that they are just cheap knock-offs, but is there much of a difference really?

matthewdanger

Enlightened
Try to get the manufacturer (whoever it is) of the xnova to back their product the way Inova does. The X5 is one of the best 30 bucks I have ever spent on a light and my dealings with Inova give me great confidence.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Inovas I've known or owned are all beautifully machined and finished - functional works of art. Inovas are easy to own.

Someone else can fill in the blanks for Xnova.

gorlank

Enlightened
I actually like the xnovas a lot especially for the price, obviously they're not gonna touch the Inovas for build quality but as inexpensive knockabout lights, they're hard to beat. I use a little AAA one quite a lot, it's fairly bright and has taken some hard knocks without complaint. For around 5 bucks no complaints here.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've owned two 1AA Xnovas: 5LED and 8LED. Once I stepped up to a 1AA 12LED Blue Ghost, their brightness was disappointing. Then I got a 2AA 16LED Wave, and the Ghost was no longer bright enough. Then I got a 2xCR123A 19LED Quake II, and the Wave wasn't bright enough. It will never end...

I've never owned an Inova, but I held one in a store. The Xnova is no match in fit and finish. But for $4 and $5 apiece from szwholesale.com, in a choice of colors, they make great gifts for kids, especially since most now come with lanyards.

For your own use, I suggest you go straight to something brighter.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Xnova lights are disposable lights. They are nice to have around. They are give away lights. I introduce kids to LED lights by giving Xnova lights to any kid that is fascinated with an LED light. For their price Xnova lights are great to toss in the car or leave in drawers around the house. Since my Xnova lights use AA cells I'll always have a battery for the light.

The lights run for 6 hours and have a decent beam. On occasion I've taken the voltage boost circuits out of Xnova light and used the parts to make electronics to power Luxeon emitters. You'd be surprised at how tough the simple circuits are and how bright a Luxeon emitter gets using an overdriven Xnova circuit.

The Xnova lights are not near the quality of the Inova lights but they have their uses.

altoon

Newly Enlightened
IMHO the xnovas are alternatives to cheap Dorcy's, not Inova's. I'd say the quality is about the same as, or slightly better than the Dorcy AA/AAA, and the newer xnovas use brighter leds.

I use xnovas for kid's gifts, loaner/giveaways, and battery drainers. I wouldn't put an old and potentially leaky alk battery in my Arc AAA or my CMG Infinity, but I don't care if a battery leaks in my xnovas. In fact, I had a battery leak in one, rinsed it out without thinking about it, and nothing happened to either the light or my blood pressure. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jbg23

Newly Enlightened
ok, so that settles it I will stick with inova. What do you guys think would be the best all purpose light that inova has considering runtime, brightness, price, etc... I am liking the x5 alot, but is it bright enough for everyday use?

matthewdanger

Enlightened
I have the X5 and the T2 both are awesome lights. The X5 is more of a flood type beam and the T2 is more of a spot. The T2 has awesome regulation and pretty good throw. The X5 seems lo run forever and will run on cells that dropped out of regulation in your other lights. Every light in the Inova lineup is a winner.

altoon

Newly Enlightened
Doesn't the X5 use older and dimmer leds? If I needed a CR123 multi-led light right now, I'd take a look at the Peak, which uses newer and brighter leds.

Canuke

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
altoon said:
Doesn't the X5 use older and dimmer leds? If I needed a CR123 multi-led light right now, I'd take a look at the Peak, which uses newer and brighter leds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now there's the thing... I've been wondering when Inova was going to upgrade the X5 series to the new CS diodes. An X5T with those would rock.