Need Help & Ideas for Purchasing Flashlight(s)

pradeep1

Enlightened
Hello flashlight maniacs,

I need your help in spending some money. After discovering CPF, I've bought about six flashlights, and if any of you have seen my WTB ads in the Buy/Sell forum, you know that I am becoming addicted.

In any case, I want to ask a practical question and need your input. I will be going to India in a few months and I wanted to know which flashlights I should buy and take along with me.

Here are the considerations:

1. Power outages in India are fairly common during the day and night, and when the power goes out, everything turns pitch black at night. You usually just sit until someone goes and lights a gas powered lantern and you just wait out the outage. I'd like to have a flashlight to carry that will give me excellent run time and very good light output. Enough so that I can walk home alone at night with the power out. I was thinking of the Lightwave 4000, since it has a long life and uses D cells and can be used as a weapon if need be. Any other thoughts and suggestions for a long running light?

2. I'll be taking a cheap 3AAA Luxeon 1W with me. This small enough to fit in my pocket, and should be good for EDC.

3. I'd also like to take some lights along to give as gifts. I don't have a large budget, but something that will be very nice to give to friends and family in India and something that will also run on fairly easily available batteries. So CR123As or other expensive batteries are out. I have to limit myself to mainly Alkaline AA, AAA, C, and D. Maglites are available in India, and most everyone has got them, so there is no "wow" factor in giving them one of those. I want to give away at least 5 flashlights that when they turn it on, they should say "hot damn" and appreciate American ingenuity. I was thinking of a Princeton Tec Surge with super output, but the thought of 8 AA's and the price of each is bothering me. I want something superbright and nice. Even considered getting those 19-28 5mm LED lights, but I don't have experience with them. Also considered keychain lights for kids, but something good for adults?

Thoughts welcome.

greenLED

Flashaholic
A couple of observations:

1. Unless you're trained to use a flashlight as a defensive instrument, don't rely on it for defense. The whole "I'll bang the bad guys with my 6D Maglite" is B*, unless you know what you're doing. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but it's time the myth stops. If you know how to fight for your life with a toothpick, then forget what I just said. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

For a long running light, I'd go with an Infinity Ultra, or a Gerber Trio. Anything brigter will require more batteries. The UK 4AA LED might be another good choice.

2. Are AAA as readily available as AA? Have you considered a minimag with a MM Lite sammie or a BB400.

(notice I'm also trying to standarize the battery size you'll be using).

3. I'd go with a Trio, or an Infinity Ultra as gifts. The keychain lights are nice for give-aways too, but the batteries may not be cheap to replace.

Wait, no, no, no. Take some miniMags, but drop in some MJLed's in there (available at the Shoppe, IIRC). Sure, everyone has a miniMag in India, but do they have one with an MJLED? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

shifty646

Newly Enlightened
Some Nuwai 0.5W 1xAA lights should be great for the kids.
5hrs on one AA and brighter than most single LED lights (non-Luxeon).

As for a WOW light.... consider the Diamond 3W Lambartian drop in for the Mag. Works on 3 or 4 C/D cell Mags, and is brighter than stock bulbs (~60-80 lumens), also throws like crazy.

pradeep1

Enlightened
1. Unless you're trained to use a flashlight as a defensive instrument, don't rely on it for defense. The whole "I'll bang the bad guys with my 6D Maglite" is B*, unless you know what you're doing. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but it's time the myth stops. If you know how to fight for your life with a toothpick, then forget what I just said. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

<font color="green">Agreed, but the place I will be walking around is my little hometown. Just the thought of getting hit by my flashlight will keep most people away. Plus, my family is the local mafioso, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif , so the flashlight is more of a warning than anything. As for using a flashlight in self defense, my main risk is of a stray dog or cow trying to run me down, and a good whack with a D-cell does the trick. </font>

For a long running light, I'd go with an Infinity Ultra, or a Gerber Trio. Anything brigter will require more batteries. The UK 4AA LED might be another good choice.

2. Are AAA as readily available as AA? Have you considered a minimag with a MM Lite sammie or a BB400.

(notice I'm also trying to standarize the battery size you'll be using).

<font color="green"> You will have to provide more info on what is a sammie or BB400 </font>

3. I'd go with a Trio, or an Infinity Ultra as gifts. The keychain lights are nice for give-aways too, but the batteries may not be cheap to replace.

Wait, no, no, no. Take some miniMags, but drop in some MJLed's in there (available at the Shoppe, IIRC). Sure, everyone has a miniMag in India, but do they have one with an MJLED? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<font color="green"> MJLEDs...search function. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks for the input!</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Second the recommendation for the CMG Infinity Ultra - single AA cell, takes any kind, even the cheap zinc carbon AAs if alkalines happen to be a bit more expensive in your area. And it puts out a surprising amount of light especially when visiting areas of Quality Dark, after your eyes have adapted. It might not be the absolute brightest but you can afford to give away enough of them to be the hero at the next blackout. Yes, you're a flashaholic if you ENJOY power outages.. check out the threads in the general section of the forum /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

$15 at batterystation.com . They're one of my preferred giveaway lights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since many people already have maglite flashlights, how about carrying some LED drop in modules to make the maglite flashlights better? EverLED ,the Opalec of course which I support 100% and many others. Check out Quickbeam's reviews and this thread which discusses long running lights. The thread has a few links to where you can get drop in modules.

You said you would be carrying a cheap 3W, 3AAA light for edc, are AAA cells readily available in India (at a good price)? Personally, I think AAA lights as gifts should be out as their size advantage may be greatly outweighed by price and battery life requirements.

What about carrying rechargeable batteries and chargers as gifts instead? Consider also cheap headlamps. Rei has the Matrix 2 for $19.93. Reviewed here.

With respect to incandescent flashlights, please give great consideration to bulb availability.

As mentioned above, the Infinity Ultras are a great idea.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
"I'd like to have a flashlight to carry that will give me excellent run time and very good light output. Enough so that I can walk home alone at night with the power out. I was thinking of the Lightwave 4000, since it has a long life and uses D cells and can be used as a weapon if need be. Any other thoughts and suggestions for a long running light?"

Well, a Mag 3 or 4D with an Everled would probably fit the bill quite well here. It could be considered a club that doubles as a flashlight.

"I'd also like to take some lights along to give as gifts. I don't have a large budget, but something that will be very nice to give to friends and family in India and something that will also run on fairly easily available batteries. So CR123As or other expensive batteries are out. I have to limit myself to mainly Alkaline AA, AAA, C, and D. Maglites are available in India, and most everyone has got them, so there is no "wow" factor in giving them one of those. I want to give away at least 5 flashlights that when they turn it on, they should say "hot damn" and appreciate American ingenuity. I was thinking of a Princeton Tec Surge with super output, but the thought of 8 AA's and the price of each is bothering me. I want something superbright and nice. Even considered getting those 19-28 5mm LED lights, but I don't have experience with them. Also considered keychain lights for kids, but something good for adults?"

Lotsa good advice already.
Sounds like you want a budget price, common batteries, and as bright as possible. You didn't stipulate whether yuo wanted LED or incan.
Probably the most impressive and practical would be a Luxeon based light--but they tend to be expensive.

Though not American made, the Nuwai 1 Watt ALX-2512AA is about $21.50.

Less bright, but an excellent light is the UK4AALED: fully regulated to 13 hours! Might work well for the power outages. About $20, and worth every penny. You can even get the incan lamp assembly for ~$6 (American).

Impressive throw: Streamlight 4AA Luxeon. This one would probably get a "Wow" response...but the price is ~$35.

Streamlight Jr Luxeon. Around $30, it is very bright, and the new models will have a much longer runtime.

Check out the LED Museum and Flashlightreviews for more info.

For the kids, if you can find the Dorcy 1AAA LED, they are a fantastic bargain (~$6 here in America), and quite bright. Decent runtime, fairly durable. You won't cry if they lose it. You can easily double the brightness by installing an 87 cent Nichia LED.

Good luck!

Bob

Ps I hope to someday visit India.

pradeep1

Enlightened
Thanks everyone for the ideas. So much to learn. And yes, India is a flasholics dream because of the power outages. On an interesting note, batteries are more readily available and cheaper there than they are here. AA and AAA alkalines cost about $0.18 there and I found out to my surprise that CR123A lithiums go for about $2.75 there - not bad considering what Walmart charges. But I would still like to stick with more readily available A, C, and D sizes if possible.

I like the idea of dropping in an LED into a Maglite, but I think that even with that being cool, it would still not have the effect of receiving a new flashlight as a gift. They are not flasholics, but use flashlights in a very practical sense...unlike us. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I want to take a mix of incandescent and LED lights, and the CMG Infinity Ultra is very nice. I could not get the link to work that Hoghead sent me for the $15.00 lights. How do you get the CPF discount...just tell them at ordering?

Pradeep

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Ultra is terrific light. I have one--love it.

Well...for an inexpensive and excellent performing incan I would suggest a Princeton Tec Tec-40.
Though rather plain looking, it packs a 6V punch, is waterproof, takes inexpensive and easy to find PR bulbs, is darn tough and only costs around $15. I hear it takes an Everled nicely.

For a rather small and crazy bright incan, the Princeton Tec Rage is sweet for about $10. It uses lamp assemblies, however.

Take care,
Bob

pradeep1

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
pedalinbob said:
The Ultra is terrific light. I have one--love it.

Well...for an inexpensive and excellent performing incan I would suggest a Princeton Tec Tec-40.
Though rather plain looking, it packs a 6V punch, is waterproof, takes inexpensive and easy to find PR bulbs, is darn tough and only costs around $15. I hear it takes an Everled nicely.

For a rather small and crazy bright incan, the Princeton Tec Rage is sweet for about $10. It uses lamp assemblies, however.

Take care,
Bob

[/ QUOTE ]

Where's a good place to buy these cheap?

matthewdanger

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
pradeep1 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

You might try here. The prices are great, however I have never dealt with this vendor so I cannot comment on their service and shipping.

pradeep1

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
matthewdanger said:
[ QUOTE ]
pradeep1 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

You might try here. The prices are great, however I have never dealt with this vendor so I cannot comment on their service and shipping.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very cool. Anyone else have any dealings with this company?

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having been to India and experiencing the (40min+) power outages first hand (I was in a small village in Kerala) I would say that one important thing to remember is that the most usefull light is the one you have on you. I got by quite well with my green Inova Microlight. Virtually all Indian families expect a power outage (my uncle would wait for it and refused to begin dinner until it was over) and are prepared for it (with candles). This means that all you really need is a small light in your pocket that is enough to get you to the cupboard with the candles (unless you just need to show off). That said, if I were to do it over again (I hadn't heard of CPF at the time), I wouldn't be without my new Arc AAA rev4 premium and an Ultra-G. I don't know how long you plan on staying, but from my experience, you can get AA anywhere (although they wont be alkaline- still will run an Infinity/Ultra-G) but AAA are much harder to come by- they are small enough that you're better off bringing them with you. Have fun. India is definately a flashaholic paradise provided you're willing to deal with some more than curious inquiries.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
pradeep1 said:
I could not get the link to work that Hoghead sent me for the $15.00 lights. How do you get the CPF discount...

[/ QUOTE ]

The link works for me. You might try clicking on it again.

I think you need to enter your CPF user name.
example: "CPF user name paradeep1"

You can phone in your order to Battery Station.
The number in the US is 417-257-7799

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
welcome to CPF pradeep1, why dontcha stay awhile!
here at CPF, that is, not Georgia!

Got some great suggestions already, the Infinity Ultra is practically bulletproof, and the Dorcy AAA as a giveaway is a smart and economical choice.

For wow, the Diamond 3W dropin is the ticket. Everyone has seen a Mag, but not one like that, with pure white light pouring out of it.

When I was in India a few years ago (also in Kerala, like Solstice) I found 123s easy to find, and much cheaper than in the states (about $3+US each), so a Surefire is not out of the question, it would be wow in a small package. But don't forget that batteries and film are red flags for airport security, they'll give you a hard time, if not confiscate your batteries outright.

coinlights are always fun for kids, as are the battery operated lightsticks that Wits End imports, but those run on 2016s adn V76s, which may be hard to find.

mag dropins would be nice, but are pricey, but the Streamlight Jr. is a fave of mine, and the new ones are more miserly on batterylife. Still, last I looked the old ones were on sale for $21, was it?

have a great trip and welcome again!
daloosh

Thunder

Newly Enlightened
If you want cheap one you will think about eBay some lol
but the shipping cost poop lots.
Example. USB light cost you 1.5 USD shipping 7 USD.
Wow 7.5 USD
sometime you will get "@%$#%$#^#$" when u recive it.
so you choice ;p

matthewdanger

Enlightened
Blaster 3P!!! I just got mine last week and I love it. The grip on these lights is awesome. I imagine it would make a fine club if the need should arise.

Look Here!