It's a "Salmon Summer" at our house!

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
It\'s a \"Salmon Summer\" at our house!

Our own CPF JOshooter stalking the mighty red salmon!

Cooler full of bounty!

Preparing the treasures.

Into the smokehouse for that "extra gourmet" flavor!

"Jarring" em' up.

Pressure cooking them.

Almost done - yeah till the next trip!

Ahhhh, the gold - I mean the REDS! YESSSSSSS!!!!

Oh yep, WE DO ENJOY OUR FISH!

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: It\'s a \"Salmon Summer\" at our house!

ahhh red gold, my grandpa used to go up your way every year for fishing and hunting up until like 2 years ago. he would come back with a trailer full of canned salmon and halibut. mmmmm I miss the good ol days.

doug

DieselDave

Super Moderator,

Yea ok,
Let me shut down my computer and go eat my carp and mullet. You sure know how to make a guy feel bad. That's awesome.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wow.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wow.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wow.gif

You're making me envious, wish I had that much fun while I as a kid.. heck, wish I had that much fun, period! Agreed with DD /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

vaism

Newly Enlightened
Clear blue ocean & windswept coconut trees..

ahh.. that's droolworthy.. i love salmon.. Wif wasabi.. or smoked.. Awesome stuff..... hahaha...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/takeit.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/paypal.gif

nethiker

Enlightened

Nice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

What's your favorite recipie or preperation for the canned salmon?

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
DieselDave said:
Yea ok,
Let me shut down my computer and go eat my carp and mullet. You sure know how to make a guy feel bad. That's awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well then you'll be quite jealous of me too since all I have to eat arround here is that unidentified meat substitute and the week old salad bar they dare serve in the so called dinning hall; Oh wait! except tonight, surprise! tonight is imported dehydrated noodles and leftover night! Wow! Awesome's the word! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

freeze12

Enlightened

The Salmon looks great! I lived in Anchorage "Nunaka Valley" for 4 years & used to go fishing at the "Russian River" and during Salmon spawning season You could go to a creek and just grab the Salmon out with Your hands and then We would take them to the Cannery & have them canned.A lot of great memories from Alaska!! - Fur Rendezvous etc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Santelmo

Enlightened

drooling and hunger pangs coming. . . I love canned fish of all types!

On a more "mystical" level, for lack of a better term, the salmon is a great teacher of the cycle of the "here and now" called life too. It has a really fascinating life cycle (which I'm sure you Northern hemisphere folks know more) which if METAPHORS allow, mirrors many things we too experience at our level---We all swim in the great running river and the waters are rough at times too. We go far and wide when we're young but eventually, we know we have to look back or long for home (home is where the heart is) when we're older, like the salmon returning to the headwaters of its birth. Its a swim upstream and we try to make the most of it. Hopefully, we do hope to "spawn" something worthwhile with our lives or with our children and then seek the state of fullfilment for the final phase of life. It is what it is, a simple and natural equation---or swim if you're a fish.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

Dave - smoke some of that carp up and then can it! I tried it when I lived in Michigan - "almost" like smoked salmon (well I pretended it was /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)! It actually wasn't bad! I always say one can smoke a piece of cardboard and it'll taste great! You know as well as I do that you have some great bass fishing down there! Other than catching halibut here in the ocean, I've always wanted to try and catch some of the ocean varieties that you have down there as well!

nethiker - While of course we like to "grill it up" fresh with spices, onion, & butter, we enjoy the canned fish just about any way we can prepare it (loaf, grilled patties, noodle casseroles, stir fries, sushi, etc)... HOWEVER my FAVORITE? Straight out of the jar on some crackers with a variety of hot sauces and or lemon juice on it, perhaps with a slice of jalapeno pepper as well! GOURMET!!

freeze12 - Hey, we live over by Dimond. I've got friends in Nunaka Valley! When were you there? Ahhhh yes the Russian River - One of the "PRIME" Red Salmon fishing spots in the world! Ok, gotta be honest now - the pic of JOshooter "hunting the mighty red salmon" - it's Resurrection Creek in Hope, and he was actually pink salmon fishing that day. The cooler of "reds" with ruler - it's actually silver salmon (see the spots on their backs - couldn't find a cooler pic of reds - though of course after living here for almost 20 years I know I have some pics of them as well!) I LIVE HERE FOR A REASON! You can relate!

Santelmo - SPOT ON! I think of things like that all the time, especially when I'm outside as "part of nature" itself! I can relate to your words & thoughts - I really can't explain the feeling & thoughts I have when outside as one of the "puzzle pieces" of life & earth! Alaska brings these feelings & thoughts out in me like no other place I've ever been!