nFlex UI question

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the folk that use my nFlex driver I am considering porting the LH/LC UI1 (5 level, lockout, force, press to latch high etc) firmware to the nFlex architecture. I've just ported it to bbFlex and since that means most of the work is done, I could port it quite quickly & easily to the nFlex driver.

The current UI on nFlex was developed to be "fixed lighting" friendly and I consider the LH/LC UI1 much more "flashlight" friendly.

Anyhow, just after some opinions from folk that have used nFlex whether you would consider changing the UI a positive feature.

You can read the LH/LC UI manual here

Just ignore any of the UI0 'stuff' - that won't be ported. i.e. it will always be in UI1. You will still be able to choose from 4 current drive tables as you do now (the selection mechanism will be integrated into LH/LC menu scheme).

Oh, of course I would still offer the current nFlex UI to folk that didn't want the proposed new scheme.

george.

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with your original thinking. I have 4 nFlex in daily use around my home and business and I like them just as they are.
They are perfect for 'fixed lighting'.

That said, UI1 is absolutely perfect for 'portable use'.

If UI1 is going to remain as the 'standard' then I do not see any negative in changing. Far better to have everything working the same.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
UI1 is the bomb.. i have both my LCs set to that ooops.. all three and my bro's as well. it's incredible because really it gives you almost instant access to 'low' 'med' and 'high'.

I personally thought the 8-level nFlex is a very decent solution, but the way eyes work 5 certainly is enough levels and is sure speeds up getting to the level you want.

-awr

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a flashlight, I think 5 levels is more than adequate - even though I could easily add more.

I went ahead and ported the code yesterday and have it mostly functional.

Basically all the UI1 features and menu stuff is in there at this point.

Menu:

1) Autosleep on/off selection
2) 350/500/750 or 1000mA max current selection
3) Force level 1,2,3,4,5 or off selection
4) Autolockout on/off selection
5) On power application light starts on/off selection

Menu 2) allows the user to configure the maximum current output, the firmware then gives 5 levels from dim to maximum current.

Menu 5) allows the user to change how nFlex powers up when battery power if first applied, i.e. if it powers up with the LED on or the LED off. This enables a light to be built with a powerswitch if so desired, and nFlex can come on when the powerswitch is turned on.

And to reiterate, the standard nFlex firmware will be shipped UNLESS you specifically request the new UI1 firmware when an nFlex is ordered.

Older nFlex drivers can be upgraded to the new firmware if so required for a nominal programming fee.

I'll soon put together a manual for the new firmware and put it up in the nFlex technical section of my website.

george.

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question.
On my current nFlex drivers, I sometimes switch the outlet that the wall wart is plugged into. This works 100% and will this 'benefit' also work with the new one??

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
georges80 said:
For a flashlight, I think 5 levels is more than adequate - even though I could easily add more.

Menu:

1) Autosleep on/off selection
2) 350/500/750 or 1000mA max current selection
3) Force level 1,2,3,4,5 or off selection
4) Autolockout on/off selection
5) On power application light starts on/off selection

Menu 2) allows the user to configure the maximum current output, the firmware then gives 5 levels from dim to maximum current.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. 5 levels are oodles for a flashlight. I notice that there are 4 max current settings. Are the 5 levels a fixed percentage of the max current setting? That's great flexibility! I look forward to seeing the bbflex - any ETA on when it will be available?

Paul

wquiles

Flashaholic
From the description alone, I Like the new UI better. I might have to send you back my recently adquired nFlex module for reprogramming /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Will

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Anglepoise said:
Question.
On my current nFlex drivers, I sometimes switch the outlet that the wall wart is plugged into. This works 100% and will this 'benefit' also work with the new one??

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes - that's what menu option #5 allows you to set. You can configure nFlex (stored in the internal EEPROM) whether it powers up (from fresh power application) with the LED on or the LED off.

george.

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
chimo said:
I agree. 5 levels are oodles for a flashlight. I notice that there are 4 max current settings. Are the 5 levels a fixed percentage of the max current setting? That's great flexibility! I look forward to seeing the bbflex - any ETA on when it will be available?

Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes the 5 levels are the same ratio spacing, regardless of the maximum current setting. i.e. you could have it set to 350mA for an in-spec driven Lux1 and the steps will be the same ratio as if you had it set for a 1000mA Lux3.

bbFlex will be a bit in the future, I have a new protopcb coming back next week to test the final production layout. I then need to build it up and do some decent field testing to make sure the firmware is solid. Then a production PCB run and assembly will take place. So, bbFlex is probably about 2 months out for production boards. And I still have FatFlex to finish off and take to production...

george.

wquiles

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
georges80 said:
I still have FatFlex to finish off and take to production...

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Will

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although there is absolutely nothing wrong with the current UI
of the nFlex, the more standardization you can get the better.
I would guess that there are more LH/LC boards out there than nFlexe's and as LH/LC users gravitate to purchasing an nFlex for other possible applications,they will be delighted to find the same UI , if for example, they decided to mod a 'task light'. This has to be a huge plus.
The last thing we need in the future are dozens of electronic switch flashlights all form different builders/manufacturers and all with different UIs.
If you continue to sell your products to whoever needs them, hopefully builders will not be forced to look else ware for
electronic switch drivers.You will have positioned yourself as the #1 supplier.

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've put up a preliminary manual that describes the new nFlex firmware pdf here

Other than some possible typos etc, the manual describes all the new features and operation.

I'm still testing the firmware and hopefully so is Darell (you are, right????) and it should be available to order real soon now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

george.

Darell

Flashaholic
Anglepoise -

This really comes down to "how it will it be used" more than "standardization." There are distinct differences in a fixed-lighting UI and a hand-held UI. They both have their place, and I wouldn't want to see one used at the expense of the other! I use both UI's in my various lighting toys (which one depends on the application). And... how do I put this delicately... they're both REALLY close to exactly how I want them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
georges80 said:
I'm still testing the firmware and hopefully so is Darell (you are, right????)

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh. Ahem...

YES! I'm right on it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/str.gif

Just got back home. Will load it up on my mule right away.... It has been a while though - I'm sure to mess *something* up!

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Darell said:
Anglepoise -

This really comes down to "how it will it be used" more than "standardization." There are distinct differences in a fixed-lighting UI and a hand-held UI. They both have their place, and I wouldn't want to see one used at the expense of the other! I use both UI's in my various lighting toys (which one depends on the application). And... how do I put this delicately... they're both REALLY close to exactly how I want them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see your point and its a valid one.

I just dread the day when every flashlight comes with a different UI and one has to think," Now who made this light and how does the UI work" before one can use the damn thing.

But your right. The task light over my lathe ( nFlex ) is totally different to the flashlight I will use when I drop a nut and have to crawl under the bench to retrieve.<g>

Darell

Flashaholic
I share your fear of the dreaded "flashlight learning curve!" We're just in the infancy of all this right now... so there's no real conventions to follow, that's for sure! Simple, simple, simple is the motto here!

Interestingly enough, when I (and others - I've seen it countless times!) pick up a random light, it sometimes takes a moment just to find the switch. Side? Butt? Did I make this one a clickie, or is it a standard LOTC? But if you use one light as a tool, you WILL get comfortable with its use - or you'll move on to another product.

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a LH/LC and I still have to read the manual so I'm not familiar with the LH/LC UI. However in my opinion there is nothing wrong with the original nFlex interface. Of course there is always room for improvement but the fact the nFlex pcb isn't circular is the most important complaint I have to use this driver in a flashlight. I also don't need 8 brightness levels. For me 4 levels would be ok (low, medium, high and boost). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/stupid.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Agreed! There is nothing wrong with the nFlex UI. And the good news is that thanks to George's magic, the nFlex will now accept the UIP (portable) as well as the original UIF (fixed) that it ships with. The portable UI wasn't made because there was something wrong with the fixed UI. It is just that some folks wanted to use the nFlex portably, and the new UI may make more sense.

We have five levels. High, higher, medium high, higher than medium high and boost. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
i really like this new UI.. i have to find a place to use it.. very nice additino with the toggle for power-on state.. extremely helpful if for example.. i want to build a light with a tactical switch on the back to get instant on w/o fumbling for a side switch.. nice move.

-awr

pcmike

Enlightened
I'm not totally convinced that I'd actually want UIP over UIF. It seems like the only difference is less levels in each table (5 instead of 7), is this correct? What other changes are there that make UIP better for flashlights?