Does more $$$ always mean more light???

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
First I want to say, thanks for my welcome.

I am liking my A2, loving it. I'm interested in lights that are bright (newbie here= don't know the Flashaholic lingo).

Now money really isnt a problem, but I guess this is my question:

Generally speaking, when the price of an light goes up, does the output of the light go up also?

Sorry for the open ended question, I'm a newbie in distress trying to learn here!!!

Thanks for your input,
PSM

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

As to your question...in a word no, not always. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

What you get for the money can be better quality, durability, options.....
HTH

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Thats what I figured, better quality beam, more rugged case.

I learned one thing real quick, more $$$, does not mean better battery life!!! (A2)

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Usally yes, but sometimes a really small light that puts out say 60 lumens (you A2 is about 50 lumens on the ican setting) is very exspensive because well, its really small. In the other direction, spotlights put out lots of light, but are very big, and very cheap.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire M6, with a $392 MSRP, it is one heck of a bright light, like having the power of the sun in a flashlight smaller than one of those 2D Everready ones. I'd personally prefer an M6 mounted on my M16 rather than a big clunky spotlight.

The USL (modded Mag 2D) runs for $350-$450 and is really bright, but after more search into it, just something that I can not have/well no real use for. It is bright, think I read 2500 lumen somewhere (while my M6 with HOLA has 500 lumens) it is limited by run time of 8-10 minutes I believe.

I personally believe LED's haven't reached a level of high power, high output incandescents yet. I have a Surefire U2 which is a 5 watt LED and its max output is about ~80 lumens (I also had an L2 but sold that off along with my E2e for the U2.)

PoliceScannerMan, it also really relies on what you will be using the Gladius for. I find that having the right flashlight for the job is a must. I surely don't want to be stuck with an Arc AAA while something goes bump in the night. Sure having light is better than not having any, but either my Tigerlight or SF M6 is my go to light in case something goes bump in the home (also if more force is needed it is available in the form of hollow points.)

matthewdanger

Enlightened
Depending on what you are looking for there are some real sleeper/bargains out there.

The Pelican M6 throws like crazy, so does the Streamlight TL3. Neither of them will set you back near as much as a Surefire. The Costco HID and Thor spotlights put out ridiculous amounts of light and are very reasonably priced.

If you are looking for flood light the Inova X5 is a bargain at 30 bucks and I would put it up against lights that cost several times are much in terms of build quality. So is the Opalec NewBeam module for the Minimag at about $20. The Princeton Tec Attitude is another favorite of mine for less than $20.

Then there are other lights that seem to deliver more than what their price would suggest like the Streamlight Propolymer Luxeon series and the Streamlight TwinTask series (Poorman's Aviator). Also check out the Nuwai Q3.

There are plenty of bargains out there. Less money doesn't always have to equal less light.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want big light and don't mind spending the money then the Surefire M6 Guardian is the light for you.
The Gladius is a nice looking light but it doesn't get as much spark around here as a light in that price range should.
What do you want a light for? Beginning a collection or looking to put something to work?
Again if price can be removed from the variables in a purchase then take a look at the M6, all the people who own one or have come across one all have the same reaction..Wow.. No muss no fuss.
Batteries in that machine come at 6 a cycle, there is a rechargable pack available from one of our outstanding members, that can help take the bite out of turning it on. Also, as you have probaly noticed we have a collection of members here that can supply you with the Lithium batteries your new found habit is going to require.
Good luck!

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
More money might equal more light, but only within each manufacture. For instance, a $392 Surefire will most like be brighter than $100 or $200 dollar Surefire. A $120 dollar Streamlight will be brighter than $40 dollar Streamlight. But you can get equal or more light with less money it many cases. My favorite light has got to be a modded Maglite by Fivemega. When you see the thread for the "700L 1D 1166 powered by 3 X Pila 168S" (or something like that), then you can see the light I'm talking about. It's what you might call the poor mans Surefire M6 (but the Maglite's actually brighter).

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Does more $$$ always mean more light???,
Not realy ,most of the time you can be paying for fancy features, battery types, looks, compactness and sometimes a name.However there a a few good expensive lights out there

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Trashman said:
More money might equal more light, but only within each manufacture. For instance, a $392 Surefire will most like be brighter than $100 or $200 dollar Surefire. A $120 dollar Streamlight will be brighter than $40 dollar Streamlight. But you can get equal or more light with less money it many cases. My favorite light has got to be a modded Maglite by Fivemega. When you see the thread for the "700L 1D 1166 powered by 3 X Pila 168S" (or something like that), then you can see the light I'm talking about. It's what you might call the poor mans Surefire M6 (but the Maglite's actually brighter).

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive read alot about these modded maglites,

How do I get my paws on one? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PSM

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not exactly the light to which Trashman refers but these are currently being sold by the same guy and are even more powerful. Of course they require a tidy sum to be invested in Pila rechargable batteries.

-LT

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
You could make a mag 85 which puts out around 800 lumens I think. the good part is that it takes ordinary nimh batteries(altough 9 of them). It fits into a oridinary 3D mag. It might cost you around $100 for everything.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
True enough to say not always.

Good stuff can be had for less sometimes. The problem I see with something like an M6 is it takes a LOT of 123s to use it a lot!

The M*g85 is awesome if you can stand a 3D M*g! With an Energizer 15 minute charger, it don't take too long to feed it.

A simple brighter thing to do is drive 3 cell bulbs with 4 cells. If it don't insta-flash, you have something.

Let me also say WELCOME!!!

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, not really, longbow micra is $70, and they arent near as bright as a m6 LED, but better regulation. The money you spend on a light will be found somewhere on the light, whether it is in the construction, electronics, brightness, ect.

-David

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
cheapo said:
The money you spend on a light will be found somewhere on the light, whether it is in the construction, electronics, brightness, ect.

-David

[/ QUOTE ]
I agre with David.
Quality, options, size, and practicality are factors that far outweigh total output for me.

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Absolutely, more money, more light.

I've got a modded minimag that I will sell you for $700.00$. This minimag puts out so much light that it would blind everyone in a 300 mile radius so you have to promise not to turn it on unless you're at least 300 miles away from it or have your eyes covered. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Let me know if you are interested.

Just kidding, I couldn't resist.

I would say NO. Every expensive short run (aka 'custom'
) light I've bought has left me with a feeling of not getting much for my money. Every single one had issues of build quality and reliability, ymmv. There is a trend to stifle criticism out of respect for the maker, it is justified since these things aren't easy but if you are looking for a good light , shop smart. Streamlight and innova are excellent, surefire are even better but the bang for the buck ratio starts to get lobsided on the buck side here.

The nuwai qIII and nuwai's in general are great values.

Don't forget, the most expensive clothes, jewelry, watches, cars use high price as a selling point to people who need an ego buzz.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
The cost doesn't necessary translate to better light. It depends on the type of light.

Thunder

Newly Enlightened
For 1W LED flashlight if you buy a $100 USD up Flashlihgt you might get same light output coz they use the REAL Luxeon LED.
If you get those China made 1 W led well the light output will like 3/4.
Just yeah make sure which LED they use.
some light cost you $150 coz the product looks.
So think about it.
RE. Betteries life for FLashlight.
If the flashlight is using 1W LED it wont have too much difference. <-- About 10% between the good one and bad one.(the Flachlight have LED driver)
But for 5 mm LED it will have a huge armont difference.
some light only make it 20 ma for each LED.
some light put it up to 100ma so...
yeah