Total Albino Fawn!

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I'm not sure how much stuff like this "circulates" around the Internet, but my wife got these pics & text from a "friend of a friend" and who knows if anyone really knows anyone that sent it or received it?! Anyway, he's sure a cute little fellow (or gal?). Text that accompanied pics included as well:

albinofawn25lh.jpg

albinofawn4iz.jpg

"How rare is this? Hmmm! Only in Missouri.

Total albino white tail fawn

It's probably a good thing this one stumbled into some humans probably would not last long in the wild. pretty cool.
A very eventful day around here... A once in many lifetime experiences! Mark saw this lil' feller run out in front of a car, thought it was a lost baby goat. Stopped to get it, and WOW. A real Albino Whitetail Deer. Just hours old, but doing fine. No Moma deer around. Another car nearly hit it in front of Mark...

Well,, he is THE neatest thing any of us ever seen. And such a 'freak of nature', that only 1 in more than a million are even born. He took his bottle of food, followed us around the house, doing great. So, we called the Zoo & Fossil Rim, who were both interested, but going to send him to a Rehab farm, at a vet that we have never gotten along with..

So, one of Dad's best friends is our Game Warden. Kinda reluctantly, but, I called him and told him the deal. He came right over, of course... and assured me that he wouldn't take it to that vet, that he was going to 'go to higher levels' than that with him.. So, he is gone now.

We got a lot of pix, and something we will never see again probably, so it was very cool. Maybe he will make it in captivity somewhere and be appreciated. So rare... Sure wanted to keep him tho. but, not the thing to do. And not LEGAL either ; But, here are a couple of pix to show ya.

He was snow white, pink eyes, ears, nose and hooves. Kids called him POWDER. He was SO small. That is my shoe lying beside him... WOW..how cool is that?"

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is very cute but I wonder if momma abandoned it due to it's coloration? It would stand out just about anywhere except beside a snow bank.
If you ever have the opportunity to go to dale hollow lake from the Kentucky side there is a largish herd? of albino whitetails. I was going down to the boatramp after dark and as I was swinging a corner my lights illuminated between 20 or 30 partial and complete albinos. It was close to the start of the deer hunting season and they were all on the state park property and safe from legal hunters. On a similar thread there was an albino buffalo born in OK recently and the native indians consider them a very good sign.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I've heard of some albino black bears that are unique to one of the islands in Southeast Alaska. I could probably come up with some info via Google...

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Wow, what a beautiful animal, and it's so precious that he (she?) was trusting enough to follow the family around the house. Gaining the trust of a wild animal is something special; it's a level of communication that is both humbling and transcendent.

Thanks for sharing those photos!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
Don't know if they are still there, but there used to be a whole herd of albino deer, at the Seneca Army Depot (Central New York). It was a high security base, during the Cold War. It stored and serviced tactical nuclear weapons for the European Theater, including the "Neutron Bombs" (8" artillery shells). Now that the Cold War is over, hunting may be allowed, or the fence could be in disrepair.

Hope the herd is still there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif