How bright is this new 7mm led?

dc

Newly Enlightened
Recently, i see a slew of new offering using 7mm leds. Anyone got experience with this class of led. Hows the brightness compare to MJLED or 26k led? Here's 1 offered by Emilion with 7 x7mm leds using 3aaa for ard 2 hrs useful light times 7x7mm .
I guess at the end i will just buy 1 to play ard with if they r cheap enough. Seems like i got to have every new class of light offering that i dun own but too bad i got little cash..:). Arghhh..this light addiction is making me a pauper... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DC

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I just bought one, so we'll know soon enough how this flashlight performs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
I don't have any 7mm LEDs or products that use that size lamp, so it will be as new to me as it will be to most of you.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
The_LED_Museum said:
I just bought one, .

[/ QUOTE ]
I was waiting for Emillion's stock quantity to go from 0 to a positive number before ordering one. Now it is -1. I hope your order will get Emillion to bring them in from the factory faster.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Emillion has stock. Quantity 4. I bought one. Now quantity shows 3.
Emillion is selling the 7 Star LED Flashlight  here

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't believe the price is only $6.20... at that price they're almost disposable /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I hope they pan out.. I do a lot of traveling and would like to have a good LED light I'm not going to worry about losing.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Manzerick said:
I can't believe the price is only $6.20... at that price they're almost disposable /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
By the time I finished ordering it is a bit more than that.
From my order confirmation:

1 x SoShine "AAA" 900mah Nimh 4pcs Pack (SOSHAAA) = $6.50
1 x 7 Star LED Flashlight (7STAR) = $6.20
------------------------------------------------------
Sub-Total: $12.70
Registered Air 8-14 days (Postage base on weight, suggested for US,Canada and korea): $4.83
Total: $17.53

i have to get the batteries at the same time. They are CAD$11.95 for a 2 pack locally. That is USD$20 if I get the batteries here.

Emillion seems to be overstocked on his 29 and 32 led torches. He is selling them at giveaway prices: $8.50 and $7.50. If you buy one of those, your flashlight will be bigger than mine.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Just to let everybody know, the 7x 7mm LED flashlight came in today's mail, just a few moments ago.
Once I get the Tireflys evaluation wrapped up, I'll start one for this flashlight.

O o, this flashlight needs three AAA cells, and I don't have any. Not handy, anyway.
So I might have to put this off until tomorrow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

(Edit 08-08-05 5:30pm PDT)
I just found some, so I'll start my evaluation of this flashlight this evening. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

billgr

Newly Enlightened
i got one of these the other day, and you're right.....it is FAR brighter than i expected. mine looks absolutely white. i would even say snow white (won the lottery?)

HOWEVER.....mine on more than one occasion has had noticable flickering. i changed the batts and sometimes still get flickering.

ALSO, sometimes when i click it on....it doesn't come on and sometimes it comes on dim and then proceeds to full bright after 3-4 seconds!!!??

nice light, but certainly not one to rely on in an emergency! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick2.gif

rick88

Newly Enlightened
Hi Billgr - suggest you take apart the light & look at the areas that are deliberately not painted. Sometimes small chips of paint get on those areas or the areas may not be smooth enough for good electrical contact - so clean/file for better contact. This should help take care of the flickering problem.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
billgr said:
HOWEVER.....mine on more than one occasion has had noticable flickering. i changed the batts and sometimes still get flickering.

ALSO, sometimes when i click it on....it doesn't come on and sometimes it comes on dim and then proceeds to full bright after 3-4 seconds!!!??

[/ QUOTE ]
Got my 7x7mm today. At first did not even come on. Just flickers now and then. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif I took both the head and tailcap off, cleaned all the shiny bits. I also stretched the spring in the tailcap to make sure it will contact the dent in the base of the battery carrier. When reassembling the torch, I make sure the head and tail is screwed on really tight to make contact. Now it works great. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

While looking at the disassembled light I did NOT notice any regulation circuits or dropping resistors. The LEDs are direct drive. Be careful what batteries are used with this flashlight. 3xLithiums at 5+ volts and fresh 3xAlkalines at 4.5 volts are probably no-nos. Since my 15 minute NiMH give 1.4 volts hot (temperature) off the charger (drops to 1.3 when cool) i am going to only put SLIGHTLY USED NiMH in this flashlight. Charger -> Nexxtech super 1 watt -> 7x7mm. Even if I do not use the Nexxtech, self discharge will still bring the voltage down a bit.

More than wice as bright as my Aqualed which was tested at ~20 lumens at flashlightreviews.com. I am no longer waiting for that piece of vapourware known as the Proton.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
LEDninja said:More than wice as bright as my Aqualed which was tested at ~20 lumens at flashlightreviews.com. I am no longer waiting for that piece of vapourware known as the Proton.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYI: flashlightreviews.com doesn't use lumens in it's output measurements.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
LightObsession said:
FYI: flashlightreviews.com doesn't use lumens in it's output measurements.

[/ QUOTE ]
I know. Quickbeam explains how to calculate lumens from his total output numbers somewhere in
this thread .
Total output =14.40. 14.40*1.43=20.592. There ic an error of up to 30% but it is the best I can come up with as a reference for my other lights..

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exchanged PMs with Emillion. Here is his reply to my concerns with what battery to usewith the 7x7mm:

I've run mine with SoShine AAA Nimh, tested for 10 cycles without problem. Temperature @ 20C.
Regards
Emil

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
UPDATE ON THE 7x7mm.

It took Emillion 3 months to bring in more stock. I bought 2 as Christmas gifts. Due to switch problems in my prototype I loaded them with batteries to make sure they work before I wrap them up.
I noticed:
The little cup on the back of the battery carrier has been replaced by a much wider plate with a dent to catch the spring.
The spring is longer.
Hopefully the changes will solve the problems some of us had with the prototypes.

http://ledmuseum.candlepower.us/third/7mmflite.htm
http://emilionworkshop.com:3072/osc...21_74&osCsid=389bdeb9f2cf880518972ba8ff9f906c
http://www.qualitychinagoods.com/7-led-led-diameter8mm-v4-p-366.html

I was about to get the new Xnova AA 8 as the gifts. I had both lights in front of me. I finally got the 7x7mm because:
The 7x7mm looked much more impressive.
it has a clickie which non-flashaholics might like more.
It is much brighter.
It is only 25cents more.

Note Emillion's stock is low again. Check stock before ordering.

InfidelCastro

Banned
Are these plastic now or are they still aluminum? Doesn't look like you can choose color on Emilion's site. I'd kinda like a blue one.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
InfidelCastro said:
Are these plastic now or are they still aluminum? Doesn't look like you can choose color on Emilion's site. I'd kinda like a blue one.
The 7x7mm is still aluminum. Unfortunately colour choice is at Emillion's whim or availability. The 1st one I got was blue. The ones I recieved yesterday was 1 silver, 1 black.
PM or e-mail Emillion. If he has a blue one of the 3 he has in stock he might be willing to put it aside for you.