Looking for a powerful led torch light

sebastian

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, I am currently looking for a powerful LED torch light. I have gone through the Pelican website and found something that just might meet my requirements. The two products are "Big Ed" and "M10". The thing that I'm confused of is how do you differentiate betwen candle power and lumens?? What is the measurement of the brightness of a LED torchlight??

Do you guys know of any products that are similar to the two abovementioned?? Something that is very very bright as I will be going somewhere where there will be no industrial lighting at all. thanks

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Sebastian and welcome to CPF! I hope you hang around for a while /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Candlepower and lumens are different measures of brightness. Brightness may be measured in either of those two units. There is no formula to convert between the two. Measurement of the brightness of a torch may be done in either.

I think you need to consider how long you'll be there for battery reasons - CR123a cells can be hard to come by in far parts of the world. Of course you can always take your own. Do you want a spot beam or a flood beam?

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh and one more thing, if you are going to somewhere fairly primative, take way more than 1 light - look around the forums for people's experiences with their lights. You'll probably want one on your keychain, another on your belt, a duty light and so on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Aah flashaholicism.

sebastian

Newly Enlightened
I do not think I can afford that...I just need one of those that are of expedition purposes...any other brand apart from pelican, sure fire and mag light that you are able to recommend?

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

First of all, neither the Big Ed nor the M10 are LED light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The only Pelican LED light I would recocmend for you might be the Pelican M6 LED. All of the other Pelicans have a super tight beam, with absolutely no sidespill. So they might not be good for your purpose. The M6 has a nice round beam that covers a good area.

For super bright LED lights you might want to go with a custom made LED light. We have wonderful modders here on CPF.
Something like the QUAD (About 300 Lumens) or the Tri-Lux (About 200 Lumens) would be great at putting out a lot of light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/str.gif
The QUAD uses 4 Luxeon LED's and the Tri-Lux uses 3 Luxeon LED's. Some of these lights are even dimmable! Which is a great feature.
If you are outside the US you might want to contact member Icarus about a Multiple Luxeon Mod.
If you are here in the US you can buy one from Elektrolumens or member 3rd_Shift.

Check out the links below for more info.

QUAD Luxeon Flashlight

Tri-Lux Flashlight

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
I just read your previous post and if you are on a budget you might want to consider the Streamlight 4AA Luxeon.

Streamlight Luxeon Review.

By the way: Here is a picture of the QUAD beam.

Quad2.jpg

bananas

Newly Enlightened
There is a cheap powerful torch that uses 3 c cells I think, its called the ledbeam you can find it on e-bay or buy it directly from ledbeam.com

sebastian

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Former_Mag_User said:
Welcome to CPF! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

First of all, neither the Big Ed nor the M10 are LED light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The only Pelican LED light I would recocmend for you might be the Pelican M6 LED. All of the other Pelicans have a super tight beam, with absolutely no sidespill. So they might not be good for your purpose. The M6 has a nice round beam that covers a good area.

For super bright LED lights you might want to go with a custom made LED light. We have wonderful modders here on CPF.
Something like the QUAD (About 300 Lumens) or the Tri-Lux (About 200 Lumens) would be great at putting out a lot of light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/str.gif
The QUAD uses 4 Luxeon LED's and the Tri-Lux uses 3 Luxeon LED's. Some of these lights are even dimmable! Which is a great feature.
If you are outside the US you might want to contact member Icarus about a Multiple Luxeon Mod.
If you are here in the US you can buy one from Elektrolumens or member 3rd_Shift.

Check out the links below for more info.

QUAD Luxeon Flashlight

Tri-Lux Flashlight

[/ QUOTE ]

Icarus's flashlight is damn cool! But I'm living outside US. How do I actually get one of those stuff?? Is it also very expensive?? I'm just a poor student preparing to go for a humanitarian trip...And If I were to ask for a custom, how must will it cost?? I need something around 40,000 candlepower using "C" or "D" size batery

sebastian

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Former_Mag_User said:
I just read your previous post and if you are on a budget you might want to consider the Streamlight 4AA Luxeon.

Streamlight Luxeon Review.

By the way: Here is a picture of the QUAD beam.

Quad2.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks but I think I need something brighter than that and at least 5m distance

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
Ah, then get the Streamlight 3C Luxeon flashlight. It's a great flashlight.
Here's a review of it... Review

Icarus' flashlights are expensive, but they are reasonably priced for parts and labor. A QUAD whould go for about $150 and a Tri-Lux for around $130. However, I am sure the 3C Streamlight of even the LED Beam 3C would be perfect.

EDIT: Trust me Sebastian the QUAD is very bright. The picture doesnt really show how bright it is. I have a QUAD that I made myself, it blows away any other LED that I have ever owned.

sebastian

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Former_Mag_User said:
Ah, then get the Streamlight 3C Luxeon flashlight. It's a great flashlight.
Here's a review of it... Review

Icarus' flashlights are expensive, but they are reasonably priced for parts and labor. A QUAD whould go for about $150 and a Tri-Lux for around $130. However, I am sure the 3C Streamlight of even the LED Beam 3C would be perfect.

EDIT: Trust me Sebastian the QUAD is very bright. The picture doesnt really show how bright it is. I have a QUAD that I made myself, it blows away any other LED that I have ever owned.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Streamlight 3C Luxeon flashlight that you recommended, how bright is that?? as I'm new to these, i can only measure through candle power. Are you telling me that it is even brighter than Pelican Big ed? I have seen the quad, using a maglight body. All I know is that the 3 "C" size battery maglight is about 12,000 candle power and I do not find it bright enough. Big Ed is about 40,000, I think.

I know I'm dumb in this...so please enlighten me

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
I know...the QUAD is a great light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The problem is that Manufacturers like Maglite overstate/exaggerate the actual candlepower. So how about this...

Doug, the owner of Flashlightreviews.com, takes measurements of flashlights using his own methods. He measures the 'Throw' and the 'Overall Output' of a flashlight. The throw is how far the beam can reach and the overall output is just like lumens/candlepower.

On his website for the Streamlight his measurements are:

Throw ~ 61.07
Overall Output ~ 26.00
Streamlight 3C

For the 3D Maglite he has:

Throw ~ 78.65
Overall Output ~ 23.00
Mag 3D

So it's safe to say that the Streamlight 3C has brighter output than the Maglite 3C, much longer battery life, a better beam, and an intense white beam throughout the entire life on the batteries.

I hope this helps.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

sebastian

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Grox said:
Hi Sebastian and welcome to CPF! I hope you hang around for a while /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Candlepower and lumens are different measures of brightness. Brightness may be measured in either of those two units. There is no formula to convert between the two. Measurement of the brightness of a torch may be done in either.

I think you need to consider how long you'll be there for battery reasons - CR123a cells can be hard to come by in far parts of the world. Of course you can always take your own. Do you want a spot beam or a flood beam?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm...What does CR123a look like?? any major brand that are selling this kind of battery?? in all sizes?? or only AAA??

cy

Flashaholic
Ledbeam uses one 3watt luxeon, which would be no match for a tri-luxeon or quad-luxeon light or 5watt luxeon.

it's hard to beat the brightness/runtime/price combo from a 3C 4500mah NMH tri-lux combo. if you can stand the size.

if you need something small a powerful light. highly recommend L4. they come up all the time for aprox. $125.

one of the best form factor around is 5watt KL4 head from L4 combined with E1E body and Mce2s two stage switch.