what lights are in the pics? (military)

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
Only us flashahlcs care about these things. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif

weaponlight

Newly Enlightened
All,

The Servicemember in the first picture has a OD Surefire G2 in a SPEC OPS brand 'Multi light sheath', His weapon is a M4 5.56mm (.223 Rem) carbine, the carbine is set up with an Aimpoint M-68 red dot sight, AN/PAQ 4C IR laser, and a tape switch activated Surefire M951 XM07 dual thumbscrew mount 6 volt weaponlight. The weaponlight has either a FM 63 IR filter or a beam cover. He is using an MBITER radio with earpiece to communicate and has a combat earplug in the other ear. On his left thigh is a Blackhawk Industries drop leg medical pouch and CAT tourniquet.

The light in the other picture might be a Gerber 'Recon' a LED light with multiple colors that is very popular with the troops.

I use alot of the same equipment.

watt4

Enlightened
ok, a couple more (easy ones) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

#3...marines :

#4...uscg :

and some non-flashlight, but candlepower-related ones....

#5...uscg :

#6...uscg :

#7...marines...
celebrating the 4th with mortar launched aerial flares is cool. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

weaponlight

Newly Enlightened
#3 Looks like a trusty 2 or 3 cell maglite. Looks like it could tell some good stories.

#4 looks like the junk they sell in the PX that stops working between 2nd and 10th time you use it. (It may be the worlds greatest light but thats what it looks like)

I can tell you #5 is a hand operated 'Pop' parachute flare. It is activated by removing the cap, reversing it and placing it on the base with the firing cap, and giving it a good whack. Thats why his right hand is so far forward.

Is #6 the light from the lighthouse in the window to the right?

#7 Looks like an 82mm.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
That's a cool pic of a pop-up launch! The fin assembly hasn't even fully deployed yet. They utilize a black powder eject charge which also lights the rocket motor. The fins are thin spring steel sheet and are compressed down to allow them to fit into the disposable aluminum launch tube. The fin assembly also slides rearwards 2-3" after launch to better stabilize it. In Vietnam, about once a month, some idiot would launch one at the officer's club entrance. There were available with many "payloads," ranging from white illumination "stars" with parachutes or shorter-burning, but brighter multiple stars. I seem to recall colored stars for signalling. They also had colored smoke parachute versions for daytime signalling. The photo says "training" and that guy's definately a trainee! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Larry

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
#1 looks a lot like an M2/3 bezel on some 2 cell body (the one mounted on the rifle)

watt4

Enlightened
some notes from the original pic captions....

#2 is an AF combat photographer attached with Army 3rd ID. I didn't notice at first, but the photo credit is the same name as on the helmet. looking at it again, it looks like he took his own pic. it came out well!

#4 caption said he was checking the emergency gear kept in one of the boats. so that flashlight was part of the gear kept in the pvc pipe container.

#6 thats an old fresnel lens, and apparently used to be functional in that background lighthouse

--------------------------------

a couple more

#8......I think I see part of a flashlight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

#9......not totally sure, but I think there's one in this pic. pic is interesting for another reason. compare the amount of gear carried by the local troop with the amount carried by the U.S. troops.

#10......tough one. caption calls it a "flashlight torch"

#11...uscg......survival training. hmmm. that helicopter seems to have flippers!

#12...uscg......just because it made me think of that Navy recruiting commercial, the one that ends with "What did you do today?"