KL4 + Aleph McE2s question?

J_Roc

Newly Enlightened
I currently have a KL4 on an E2o body with a Z57 clickie. I am considering getting an Aleph McE2 2-stage tail cap to use on it, but have a couple of questions:

I am thinking of a 30 ohm resistor, any experience out there, good or bad? (I remember reading on Flashlightreviews that the 22 ohm version caused a bit of flicker on a KL1, so I think the 30 ohm would be the better choice, if I ever decided to get a KL1, too).

Will the Standard tailcap interfere with the long clip on the E2o? It is a little wider than the stock tailcap.

Does the Standard tailcap feel big when clipped in the front pants pocket?

The other tailcap styles I am considering are the Trim and the Bald; I think my preference out of all three is the Bald.

Thanks

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
I am thinking of a 30 ohm resistor, any experience out there, good or bad? (I remember reading on Flashlightreviews that the 22 ohm version caused a bit of flicker on a KL1, so I think the 30 ohm would be the better choice, if I ever decided to get a KL1, too).

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally like the 30 ohm and the 60 ohm, because the 30 ohm is about half as bright at full to my eyes and the 60 ohm about 25% of the full bright to my eyes. Anything more then half as bright to me is not worth anything as a 'low' level.

[ QUOTE ]
Will the Standard tailcap interfere with the long clip on the E2o? It is a little wider than the stock tailcap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. I use a McE2s on a L4 with a long clip. I love it.

[ QUOTE ]
Does the Standard tailcap feel big when clipped in the front pants pocket?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really, because the head and the tail cap are about the same diameter. You might be able to tell the difference between the stock tail cap (Z57 IIRC) and the McE2s if you checked for it, but in the real world 2 levels are so much more useful to me then an extra .2 inches in my pocket I don't mind.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
For the KL4 on 2x123 almost all resistor values will give you a good low mode. The problems begin when you want to use Li-Ions, too, and maybe other heads ... etc.
If you are unxure about your decision, just order a few additional resitor boards for a few cents ... they can be exchanged easily and so you can check out the results with your own eyes and ... most importantly ... your own ligth heads.
As a rule of thumb ... 22 ohms is a good all-around value.

On the tailcaps ... you must know that the Flat Top and Blad Flat Top do have different switches ... so caled "hair trigger" switches that are much easier to activate, but of course are more prone to the risk of accidental activation.
If the clip of the E2O body protrudes actually "onto" the tailcap then the standard might very well cause a problem.

bernie

Sixpointone

Enlightened
J Roc,

Here is my quick input.

I myself own a SureFire L4. I have the McE2s Trim Tailcap at 22 ohm.

I have used both standard 123A batteries as well as the rechargeable Pila 168S batteries.

To me, I cannot tell much of a difference in output between these batteries. Additionally I personally have had zero issues with flickering.

Please keep in mind of course, that is simply my feedback.

I hope I helped you out in some small way, and I hope that if you decide to buy a Two Stage tailcap that you end up getting as much usage and enjoyment out of it as I do.

Please feel free to keep us posted on your decision.

Take Care,
John

J_Roc

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info, guys, it helped. I'll probably go with the Standard so I could use it in "candle mode."

And I guess the usual "Get both" as far as the 22 and 30 ohm resistors go...

I meant to add this originally:

Where is the best place to get one? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

weaponlight

Newly Enlightened
J Roc,

I asked another CPF member many of the same questions and have a TW4 with a standard McE2s tailcap in my pocket right now (It feels fine). He recommended Lighthound.com.

Good Luck!

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
J Roc,

I have a TW4 with a flattop McE2 and to me it is a great combination because I don't the standard McE2 due to the lip that protects the switch (pain in my rear!) the flattop is sensitive but I've kept mine in a ripoff sheath for months and never had a problem with it activating, also if you wantted to keep it in your pocket (which I've done with the flattop) just unscrew the tail a quarter turn (or so) and it'll lock out. IMO the flattop is the way to go, I asked Mcgizmo as to what ohm was best for the TW4 and he recommended a 15 ohm for me.

Doug

*edit* don recommended a 15 ohm not a 22 ohm for my TW4, correction made to post.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, Doug & other KL4 fans. Just acquired my 1st KL4, in the form of a TW4, and am mightily impressed. A McGizmo tailcap sounds tempting, and a couple of questions in that regard:

1) Will running the TW4 on "low" increase runtime significantly?

2) Will there be less heat build-up running in low? (constant on in high seems to generate a very hot body in a fairly short time)

3) Do you know why Don recommended 15 ohm resistor instead of 22 ohm for TW4?

Thanks for any guidance (and hope this isn't too bad of a highjack!)

Andrew

lak

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
AFAustin said:
1) Will running the TW4 on "low" increase runtime significantly?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[ QUOTE ]
2) Will there be less heat build-up running in low?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[ QUOTE ]
(constant on in high seems to generate a very hot body in a fairly short time)

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you using rechargeables? TW4, when running on standard CR123 is known to run very cool, as it is underdriven. It will be hot only on 2xCR123 or rechargeables.

[ QUOTE ]
3) Do you know why Don recommended 15 ohm resistor instead of 22 ohm for TW4?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you use TW4 with standard CR123, the low may be too dim if you select too high the resistance; as the KL4 was already underdriven in the first place. If you are using rechargeables, you may select higher resistor value to your liking. I agree with earlier suggestions to buy extra resistors with the McE2s, so that you can select the one you like best.

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes I told don that I was using rechargables when he recommended the 15 ohm, I am very happy with the low setting of 15 ohm, it's great for walking around the house at night without waking the kids. all in all I am overly happy with the TW4 with two stage tail.

Doug