things I learned to NOT do with my HDS light

turbodog

Flashaholic
Things not to do again with my HDS.

1. shower it with sparks from a handheld grinder that is being used to cut 7/8 rebar.

This leaves a nice frosting on the lens, sort of resembles the surface of the moon. Lots of pock marks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

They do not appear to come off.

LowWorm

Enlightened
Isn't there a lens replacement kit available for the HDS EDC?

I learned to not let anyone who doesn't realize just how nice a flashlight it is use it.... I need to have something nice bright and plastic (like the Streamlight Propoly Luxeons) on hand to lend instead.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I learned not to clip my TW4 to my pants with worn in pockets unless you like dropping it. (TWICE already, and lucklily only the tail cap is scathed)

LowWorm

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Grox said:
LowWorm, there is a replacement lens kit available at the HDS website but it's 30 dollars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uff, kind of a costly mistake /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif. And I'm guessing that price doesn't include shipping.

Nice things stink that way! Sometimes I think our knees were hinged the way they are to keep us from kicking ourselves too hard...

Hang in there, turbodog!

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure if flashlightlens carry a replacement. To replace the lens you actually need to open the bezel, you can't go through the battery compartent. HDS sell a special tool which fits into the four 90 degree points in the bezel and I guess you get access to the lens that way. Another way to get in is here at AW's beam shaper thread. You need to use a snap ring plier.

Hans

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Grox said:
LowWorm, there is a replacement lens kit available at the HDS website but it's 30 dollars.

[/ QUOTE ]

That kit includes AFAIK two lenses (UCL and polycarbonate), a mild diffusor lens, the tool needed to change lenses, and two sets of O-rings. Not bad at all, I think.

Needless to say, I ordered one with the first HDS I got ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hans

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's about 22 and a half millimeters in diameter. At least, that what it looks like when I use my ruler.

If you can figure out how to remove the bezel ring, you can just buy your own lens. Some have suggested using snapring pliers. You might be able to build your own lens tool. Maybe solder some lengths of 16ga wire to a metal plate to form a cross shape? Or maybe you could find a steel ruler that's about the right width, and grind it down to fit one pair of the bezel notches?

The Sandwich Shoppe sells a 22.5 mm mineral glass lens for real cheap. It would probably work fine. You might also try to gut the lens out of some nasty old minimag. It looks about the same size.

Flashlightlens.com has an application chart. They list the Arc4 as a 22.8 mm lens. Doesn't the HDS lens tool fit the Arc4? If so, they must be the same size. Their UCL lens costs more than the plain glass lens above, but it still pretty reasonable.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would it be the same diameter as an arc4? If so there are UCL's for that. $7 shipped.

You have to be carefull when welding or grinding near glass. It will melt into the glass and just totally ruin it. Remember that when doing autobody work on cars too. (no I haven't ruined my car glass, but was carefull).

JohnF

Enlightened
I've caught mine 3 times now on the seatbelt getting out of the car (clipped inside left pocket, seatbelt catches the clip outside of pocket.

Like a peanut butter sandwitch, it always lands face (bezel) down, putting a few nicks in it. I keep a F04 on it at all times now, like the wider spot better anyway, and protects at the same time...

John F
Ultra 60 XR and Basic 60 GT