Acebeam        

Thread: Overdriveing a lux5

Default Overdriveing a lux5

What is the most you have tried to overdrive a Lux5, supposing you had plenty of heatsinking. I have a VX1S, that I would like to build into a homemade flashlight. Runtime doesn't matter - the flashlight is only inteded to be used for very short moments. I have tried 1000mA, and the flashlight get quite hot, but first after after 5-10 min. Would 1500mA be to much?

Default Re: Overdriveing a lux5

1500 mA is pushing it, IMO. I once ran my U3U from 2 li-ion with 1.8 A. The lux is epoxied to a hotlips inside a Mag 2D. The current went down pretty fast from then on, but it is still scary. I suggest you stay up to 1.2A at the most.

There's been quitw a lot of discussion on this subject in the past.

Lumileds max spec current is 700ma.

I like to run mine in m@glite mods at 1000ma - The hotlips / aluminium mag body does a great job of wicking heat away from the emitter. (Even with good heatsinking emitter life will be reduced)

Lux V's will put up with abuse for some time before they give up the ghost............

I have a 'U' voltage Lux V which I have running direct drive from 6xAA Nimh's - This pushes 1600ma !! through the emitter.

Its great as a demo light for 'wow' factor but I wouldnt use it for more than a few minutes at a time.
    Even then - at this current I dont expect it to have a particularly long life....Though we're still talking a damn site longer life than most incan's.

Mr X's 'Space Needle' runs at around 1500Ma too.

Tim

*Flashaholic*

Mr. Bulk's Space Needle II or SNII is a Direct drive 2c mag using 3x CR123.

MR-X X3T was made by hotbeam from a 2D mag using magic resister board by burn retinas. it's driven by 6x nmh AA and is routinely ran 40+ minutes continously on dog walks.

X3T is driven at 1.5amps.

Not knowing when to leaving good things alone, stuck 2x 18650's in my original SNII. which supernova's out in a few short minutes. never meaured current draw before killing SNII.

Third shift makes a SNII copy. don't kown how hard he's driving the lux5.

For good life, don't overdrive more than 1000ma. If you don't care 1500ma is the limit, after that it won't get any brighter just get hotter...

1.5A is fine if you have excellent thermal path from the bottom of the LED to the outside air. 1.5A was choosen as the ~2X figure (from spec). When the MR-X was built, I tested continuous runtime with a U5U LED and there is definately good thermal path there.

Good luck Preb.

Thanks for all the feedback. I will go for 1500mA, and report back, when the light is done.