Best wide flood , moderate throw, in 1 or 2 cell ?

DDS

Enlightened
I have a Scorpion, E2e, Arc LSH, and a Heliotek. Last night I was deep in the woods and using the lights at various distances and while walking. My newbie experiences gave me the following results:
- the Heliotek was a fantastic thrower and only marginal for trail walking with the diffuser in place.
- E2e and Scorpion were nice throwers and to my eyes the flood on the Scorpion was real nice for trail walking(edged out the E2e).
- the LSH was nice for trail walking but the colors were distorted.( I preferred the Scorpions output)

My question: What would be the best Luxeon based light in a EDC size that would be best as a wide flood but still acceptable throw? A two stage switch would be nice, if available. I was looking at the Likki- Lite and the numbers looked pretty good. How about a Pelican M6 or a Scorpion LED? Any recommendations? Quality of the beam and the light itself is of primary importantnce. Thanks for the suggestions :)! Dave PS: I EDC my Arc which is a great size. Any lights that size meet my criteria?

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Best wide flood , moderate throw, in 1 or 2 ce

I like a flood and in my experimenting you will have a hard time finding a better reflector than the one in a QIII.
Also it can be improved ( more flood ) with additional 'sputtering'.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast

If price isn't an issue, I'd get an HDS Basic (any model- starts at $120 and goes up). Its got 4 regulated output levels, can use rechargables, is a compact size (not much bigger than the Arc) and is probably the best build quality/engineering you can find in the price range (or maybe period). The reflector is engineered for throw but the beam definately has some nice smooth side spill- most people consider it the "perfect" beam.

DDS

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies above!

QIII, L1,L2 I'll check them out!
HDS: I have read good things about this light and also the McCluxIIIPD. I just wasn't sure if either of these lights had a broad enough flood. I'll try to search for some beam shots. I do, however like the small size for EDC.

Thanks again!

PS: would the PD be comparable to the HDS U60?

DDS

Enlightened
Would the KL1 on my SF E2e accomplish my needs?

I was told that they have evolved from a wide beam to more of focused spot in the newer version??

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Would the KL1 on my SF E2e accomplish my needs?

The pelican M6 3w, great throw, and good sidespill.

-David

Luxman

Enlightened

Along with the QIII is its "mother" the Nuwai TM-301X-3.
The TM-301X-3 is a 2x123, has similar beam to Q III AND with 2 light levels. They have a large center spot with good spill.

Edit: Deleted KL1 gen 1 recommendation - wants some throw.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast

I had an L2 and find it very nice for a wall of light. Doesn't seem to throw as far as the E2e to my eyes, maybe the equivalent in terms of throw but the L2 had more output.

The L2 and E2e has since been replaced by a U2. The U2 feels a little better in the hand than the L2. The L2 is about the same length as the U2 (+.03" for the U2) but the U2 has since stages of light controlled by a rotating dial behind the head and has a clicky switch and black HA III.

I like the U2 beam because it has more throw than the L2 (deeper reflector) but an acceptable amount of sidespill (not a pencil thim beam either.)

The size is a factor though. I find that during the summer I like to go with less. In this case I have a Longbow Micra, but due to sentimental value I will retire it (been through a tour of war and I think its behind in terms of technology.) I will replace it with a HDS Ultimate light of some sort.

The difference is there and noticable between a small 1 X CR123 and a two cell light. I am not a big fan of holsters and I just like to throw stuff into pockets.

So if size is a big factor, HDS U42 or U60 (U60 is very nice, not hard to use at all, got to test a fellow CPF'ers U60 a few times) and for a 2 cell SF U2.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Re: Would the KL1 on my SF E2e accomplish my needs

If you want a 1-cell light in top-notch built and beam quality there is the HDS-Series or the McLuxIII-PD. The primary difference if the "switch-philosophy", meaning the HDS has a single-button multi-click uC interface with a lot of options and is even programmable (depending on version) while the McLux is a regulated 2-stage light with a twisty head and a push-switch at the tail for momentary.

A pic of the McLuxIII-PD:

McLuxIII-PD.jpg

bernhard

DDS

Enlightened

Thanks guys for the feedback! I am going to check-out the QIII and the HDS and McCluxIII PD due to their EDC size. I am skeptical about all the options on the HDS. Are there any good beam shots of the McClux III PD?

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast

First, regarding the options available on the HDS U's: for me, it was worth the extra $30. Other CPFers recommended the Ultimate when I was seeking input on which HDS model to buy. Even though the factory chosen brightness settings don't need tweaking for my use (though they might in the future) the option of simple momentary and turn on to last level adds vastly to the lights utility. These options change the nature of the HDS substantially for me; this may not be the case for you.

I'm out in the woods and the beach walking my beast (dog, not SF's monster light) and while my HDS has the whitest beam of all my LED's, it doesn't show color quite as accurately (a hint of blue) as my Scorp, E2e, and other good, xenon, incans.

The HDS beam does have a very useful beam: it's got a hot center spot, good for throw, with enough corona for lighting up the trail. The Scorpion is similar in the respect.

The multiple personalities of the HDS with its very low output capability and instant full output make it ideal for me as a hiking/dog walking light. The utility of the HDS overshadows its less than perfectly white light. All of my best incans aren't perfectly white either but do seem to render colors a bit more closely to what our eyes perceive as accurate.

DDS

Enlightened

Jayflash: Thanks for your feedback:)!
Per the HDS, is it quick to cycle through the brightness levels? I presume that once you set your preferred settings it's simple to ramp through from low to high? When reading the SOP the clicks, presses, etc. seemed a bit confusing. Would you say that the HDS has a moderate spill or flood? I have an ARC LS and I wanted something that had better throw but most importantly more light output with regards the spill. Thanks again! Dave

LowWorm

Enlightened

DDS - took my U60 camping last night and was taken back by how much usable spill it had; the people walking in front of me had no trouble using my light to safely walk the path and clearly seeing the surrounding areas. They said it was like walking with a car's headlamp (maybe an exaggeration, but it's perception that counts more often than not /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ).

Click presses are easy to learn with minimal practice - with maybe about 10 - 15 minutes of sitting with the EDC, I memorized how to ramp through the settings, and can now program it on the fly.

Without a doubt it was the only light I needed the whole night, and its small size and pocketable form factor made that fact even better. I was never caught without a light because it was so easy to keep it on me at all times.

Whatever you choose, hopefully the HDS EDCs will be up there on your research list.

DDS

Enlightened

LowWorm: thanks for your feedback....HDS sounds like it fits the bill. I also heard good things about the PEAK lights(though only 1 level brightness). I like the idea of a one cell EDC since I've been carrying my ARC LS daily and it is used everyday.

270winchester: someone mentioned the L1 or L2 and the output per the review was impressive(89). I also liked the wide hotspot beam. Per the PD, do you know how much it weighs? It has been described as "built like a tank" and was concerned that it may be a heavyweight.

Thanks! Dave

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast

The old style SF L1 would be fairly optimal, but you'd have to find a used one. The new ones are not nearly as flood.

While I think the HDS is a great light, it is not a flood. I would suggest if you go that route that you consider AW's beam shaper lens and possibly the HDS beam diffuser as well.

Another light to consider is the Sharper Image 1W. I think this light is the same light. This light uses a NX05 which provides a broad flood and is great for this type of use. It also is very inexpensive.

Another thought is the Streamlight JR Luxeon which also uses the NX05 I understand.

Also, the SF L4 might be good, especially if you add Don's MCE2S two stage switch.

-john

( more pics )
scale-640x480.jpg

nightshade

Enlightened

My opinion is upgrade your Arc LS. A UCL lens, 3 watt lux and 17mm reflector will combine throw and spill. The addition of a two stage kroll will give flexibility. The Arc LS design won't dent easily near the bezel/lens area like the Arc 4/HDS design will, if dropped onto a hard surface. Again, JMHO & YMMV. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Beamshots of lights that use the McR-20 (the same reflector used in the McLuxIII-PD):

relux3ww20.jpg

relux320.jpg

A comparison of the McR-20 with other well-known reflectors:

rekombiluxIII.jpg

In the end, the McLuxIII-PD will give you a nice medium-flood with a big hotspot gently fading into a powerful corona. The important effects of this beam distribution are ... first .... that you can use the bhe beam very well in low mode including the corona. You are not stuck jsut with a hotspot. Second .... you get reasonable (not great) throw and very good medium coverage, again due to the relatively bright corona together with the big hotspot.

If you are after excessive throw ... the McLuxIII-PD is not your light. If you want pure flood without any hotspot ... you can use a SF beamshaper with the PD to achieve this.

bernie

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast

Does the two stage Kroll require the tailcap to be partially unscrewed to obtain the change in levels? If so, and if the cash is not a factor why not keep the Arc for closer, flood, use and get the HDS too? It's so easy to access the four levels and the Ultimate model allows user customization. IIRC the HDS is more efficient and with the availability of three lower levels, chances are that run time can be extended beyond Arc's by using low levels not found on a two stage light.

While the HDS beam is not a flood, it does have good, useable, fill in the corona for viewing outside the center hot spot.

Comparing an E1L and HDS: they are almost equal in throw but the HDS's extra 30 lumens fill in the surrounding area the E1L leaves dark. The E1L is strictly a hot spot thrower.