is buying a Surefire L4 too risky?

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I knew a guy who bought an L4 and it had bad tint (CU GREEN). I need a flood light and the L4 seems to be the smallest. Is it worth taking the risk of buying it?

-David /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

cslinger

Enlightened
I have the following Surefire products.
2 A2 Aviators
1 Current Gen L1
1 Last Gen L1
1 L2
1 E1L

Of those all have been spectacular products with the only one being a little dissapointing being the current gen L1. If tint is so bad it bothers you I have no doubt Surefire will make it right. My L2 is as white as white can be. My E1L is the same. The older gen L1 on high, the same.

I would buy with confidence and worst case send it Surefire and I am sure they will make it right. Lord it seems like everybody and their brother around here has an L4 they are happy with.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
www.productwizard.com is local to me (within a hour and a half drive) and you can ask Steve (the owner) to test the light for tint.

I bought my U2 this way, got to see the tint before I bought it. The tint was very acceptable (not CU green, blue, or overly yellow.)

You can send it back to Surefire too. I sent my bro's L2 back because it had a donut hole and was off colored. I am still waiting for the L2 to come back (will keep you posted on turn around time (arrived at Surefire last Friday night.))

Everyone is subject to the Luxeon lottery unless you know a way to fix the lottery /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif (getting a hand selected light)

greenLED

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
JasonC8301 said:
www.productwizard.com is local to me (within a hour and a half drive) and you can ask Steve (the owner) to test the light for tint.

[/ QUOTE ]

...and what happens with the factory-sealed lights Steve's opened? ...

Size15's

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
greenLED said:
...and what happens with the factory-sealed lights Steve's opened? ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously he throws them in the trash /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering the same thing greenLED. After the lights are cherry picked the open remainders get sold to unsuspecting non locals? I don't think I'd mail order from them if that's the case since the odds of getting a bad tint and having to return it are higher.

I totally understand tint partiallity but let's not go overboard. The LEDs coming out these days are very nice, none of them are as tinted as an incandescent and being too finicky about tint can be an excercise in frustration for users, dealers and manufacturers. To further confuse things one of the ways people judge tint is by comparing them to other LEDs which really skews judgement.

The luxV is in the later years of it's product life and likely won't be much in demand once the K2 is available in sufficient quantity so keep this in mind also.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenLED - it goes into a box back to Surefire. I've seen lots of crappy (in terms of factory defects) Surefire's that ducked out of QC and get sent back to SF for new stock. After handling lots of L4's I finally saw a CU green one, and a hot pink one pulled out of this box of Surefire rejects (along with a E2e and some E2D's with switch problems.)