Questions re. home lighting with luxeons

Razvan

Newly Enlightened
I am considering using luxeon lamps alongside the conventional fluorescent / incandescent system and I need some feedback on the matter. So far I've found the following products:

mr16-wlx
mr16-wlx specs
mr16 DigiHalogen-Luxeon
mr16 DigiHalogen-Luxeon specs
3 watt - mr16 luxeon
3x1 mr16
luxeon mr16
endura bright led based mr16

Areas of interest are<ul type="square">[*] color: should be warm white as this is going to be a low-level, easy on the eyes light.
[*] output: the highest powered ones are the obvious choice but most of them are only in cool white.
[*] beam angle: varies from 10 to 100 degrees but the intensity of the wider ones (producing an even light) drops quickly at the floor level. The narrower ones provide better illumination but in a very limited area.
[*] design: the high powered ones are not sealed which may help with heat but I think will encounter other problems (dust, etc).[/list]
The livingroom has a partial fake ceiling with fluorescent lamps directed to the actual ceiling (something like this) and the luxeons underneath, directed to the floor. I intend to use them in this pattern (room is 5.3 x 3.4 meters).

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre> a
+---- --+ a - window
| | b - door
b *(w) (w)*| * - spot
| |
|*(n) (n)*|
| |
|*(w) (w)*|
| |
|*(n) (n)*|
| |
| (w) (w) |
b * * |
+-------------+</pre><hr />

Some specs from the previous links compared the high powered luxeon to a 20w halogen. Since I didn't use halogens before I'm not sure if the number, beam shape and displacement of the spots can provide proper illumination.

If the prices were lower I would've bought several models, decided on which one to use and then bought the rest. Unfortunately, there is neither the time nor the money to follow this route so it has to be done right from the first time.

So, what do you think of this? Do you know of anything better (or cheaper/whatever)? What if I alternate narrow and wide beams as shown in parenthesis?

Thanks.

Razvan

Newly Enlightened
Hmm... wwwthreads still seems to have the bug which borks the formatting of text placed between [ code ] [ / code] tags after editing the post.