Make sure you clean your mouse balls!!

LaserFreak

Enlightened
I know this is old but..I have to share this for anyone who hasn't seen it.....

This was a memo sent out by a computer company. The author was quite serious....

"Mouse balls are now available as FRU (Field Replacement Unit). Therefore, if a mouse fails to operate or should it perform erratically, it may need a ball replacement. Because of the delicate nature of this procedure, replacement of mouse balls should only be attempted by properly trained personnel.

Before proceeding, determine the type of mouse balls by examining the underside of the mouse. Domestic balls will be larger and harder than foreign balls. Ball removal procedures differ depending upon the manufacturer of the mouse. Foreign balls can be replaced using the pop-off method. Domestic balls are replaced by using the twist-off method. Mouse balls are not usually static sensitive. However, excessive handling can result in sudden discharge.

Upon completion of ball replacement, the mouse may be used immediately. It is recommended that each replacer have a pair of spare balls for maintaining optimum customer satisfaction. Any customer missing his balls should suspect local personnel of removing these necessary items."

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]

Domestic balls are replaced by using the twist-off method.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

However, excessive handling can result in sudden discharge.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Laser mouse! (Logitech MX1000 ~$40 when on sale) makes this memo like old and out of date.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
OMG. I haven't used old mouse with traditional mouse ball for years. I use IR mouse or laser mouse now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I use a trackball and have to clean it once every few months, but not like you have to clean a mouse.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer a mouse with balls! I'm serious. something about the feel. er.. you know. Plus you can move it fast and pick it up and the ball will keep spinning, good if your're adicted to FPS games and have mouse movements down like nothing else...

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Geeesh, I think what's even more interesting is how many actually "get" this! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Actually, it's the rollers inside that tend to get the crud buildup and when a chunk comes loose, they get spastic. I've been optical for at least three years and am not a gamer.

My mouse was a little spaz tonight, as in cursor-hesitant to the point of annoying! I had to format the box a couple weeks ago and it dawned on me I never reloaded the mouse's software! (Logitech cordless optical, Win 2K) I just found out I like it much better when Logitech's software isn't popping up with "The battery level is critical" way before function begins to be impared! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif A couple used AA's and it's good for another month! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
My old mouse used to have 2balls; however, with the recent terroist attacks, he lost his nerves. He lost his balls completely. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

LaserFreak

Enlightened
lmao...Yeah, I've gone optical too...so my mouse has no balls. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I used to operate with nothing but optical mouses, but something's wrong with the USB system, so a couple of weeks or so ago, I had to go out and buy an electromechanical (balled) mouse that plugs into the serial port. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ouch.. don't you have a PS/2 port?

My Logitech mice all came with a USB-to-PS/2 adapter. I leave the PS/2 adapter in the port (unused) in case I need to plug it in.

9-pin RS232 serial mice are becoming as rare as hen's teeth around here these days.

I recently ripped up a mouse and converted the red optical LED to a 15K mcd green. Unfortunately it wasn't bright enough (mouse wouldn't track correctly), so I bypassed the resistor and fed it 5V. Worked great for a week, well.. you know what happens when you overdrive LEDs by that amount. I need to work on repairing it..

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
KevinL said:
Ouch.. don't you have a PS/2 port?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think there's a PS/2 port on this computer, but it's in a location I cannot easily access, so I cannot check to make certain just now.