A real expert in camouflage...

McGizmo

Flashaholic
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
HEY!

Don is back! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif talk about camouflage /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Welcome back!

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back on Maui there was an octopus out off the beach that was having a little bit of trouble deciding what it wanted to wear that day - it was changing colors as fast as a couch potato changes channels! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Pretty amazing how those things change their color so quickly.

Kevin: Don never quite left, he's still stuck in Hotel California, like the rest of us. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
This is freakin' unbelievable!
At first I though they have done some trick to the video ...
bernie

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
too low quality to see for sure. If it is that good, how does it see the pattern and replicate it perfectly? I mean does it uses it's eyes?

Pretty scary if it's real as imagine some predator using that... wow, ultamite predator!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Man is not the only one who likes to eat these guys! Without their camo, they would probably have been extinct some time ago. I just did a quick google and found a cool site that mentions that some of these guys are suckers for light or is that have suckers that light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

I had one come out of his hole and climb up on a Gladius but I missed the shot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
There are still many amazing and yet to be understood things in nature! As a kid, I "shook hands" with a "wild" octopus, and I'll never forget it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif I caught a firefly/lightening bug at PF4, but they're pretty well understood at the biological level. Didn't make it any less fascinating, as I hadn't seen one since I was a kid. The environmental adaptations (including us!) in nature will continue to amaze for a long time!

Larry

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I just watched some videos at the linked sight and dang! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I have been told by some divers that octopi are reasonably intelligent. They are certainly amazing to watch and they can give you a bunch of hickies! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I will never forget the "hickies!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Larry

McGizmo

Flashaholic
KevinL,
Pics? What pics? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
My UW shots have been taken with Olympus C series cameras and a Tetra Housing in the past. I can't tell you how many great shots I missed because of shutter lag as well as my inability to see or read anything on the camera with 53 year old eyeballs that can't focus closer than arms length. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

I recently bought a Nikon D70 and Subal Housing that I will try my luck with next year. The rig is considerably larger and heavier and the learning curve will be a killer! However, the opportunity to "get" the shot will be much better and I will hae a chance at both above and below the surface shots with the same rig. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sweeeeeeeeet rig.. and great underwater pics! Sorry about the confusion, I was looking at your avatar and thinking about "octopus underwater" and not sure how my mind drifted OT.

I believe you won't be disappointed in terms of shutter lag, a friend bought the D70s last weekend and it is fast, fast, FAST! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif LCDs tend to wash out, so a viewfinder might work better. It does on land, not sure about under water.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
The LCD's are usless at or just below the surface. I can't focus on them anyway. My shots are all from the hip and with a wide angle lens, hopefully the target will appear somewhere on the display! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif The view finder might work on this rig. The housing company makes a magnifying viewfinder but it is an extra $1000! There is often no time to even bring the camera to your eye and some shots require the camera extended from your body and at off angles. When I took This Shot , the camera was in my lap and I got it to about chest level where I "tracked" the movement of the whale best I could, pushed the shutter button and continued tracking while anticipating having to bail out of the kayak. Had I been using the D70, I would have caught the whale standing up straight and at the apex of his breach and likely could have got a few frames of the breach. The D70 is really fast compared to the other smaller digital cameras! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

When This Shot was taken, I was sitting on the kayak and the calf was maybe 8' away and it had to pull in its pectoral fin or it would have been in contact with me. I just held the camera over the side submerged and watched from above. I would depress the shutter, count to 5 and then depress again. With the shutter lag, and camera held below the surface, I had no idea what I got until back on the beach with reading glasses on. I have had so many incrediblle experiences at and below the surface and it is fun to try to get some images to share and record the experience. Often the images are nothing better than "proof" if even that. There are colors and bioluminescence that simply can't be photographed. One day, I saw a clear jellyfish about the size of a tennis ball just below the surface and it had colored light flashes progressing up its tenticles, honest! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Marc,
A qualified yes. The focal length will not correspond with the same effect when going to digital from 35mm film. I believe you need to multiply the focal length by 1.5 for the D70 to get an equivilant idea for 35 mm format. In other words, a 60 mm macro lens will have an effective focal length of about 90 mm when used on the D70.