What's the whitest LED AA or AAA hiking light?

tanager2

Newly Enlightened
What\'s the whitest LED AA or AAA hiking light?

I wonder if someone could help me on this? I'm going to need a lightweight but durable flashlight for daily use for about 4 years in order to see while walking on gravel paths at night. I have a La Crosse BC-900 battery charger, so I could use 2 AA or up to 4 AAA batteries. I'd like an LED light for the durability, since I'm not going to be able to get replacement bulbs easily. Here's the challenge: my glasses distort blue light, so I need the whitest light possible. If you could make some recommendations, I'd really appreciate it!

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: What\'s the whitest LED AA or AAA hiking light?

Why white? White has blue in it anyway. Why not use a green light? That's the best for walking at night.

tanager2

Newly Enlightened

Hmm... I know blue distorts. I don't know what green would do. I also will be using it as an all-purpose light, such as for reading when the power is out. Think I'd rather have a white light, actually, but thanks for the suggestion, Paulr.

B@rt

Flashaholic

Get one where you can put a wharm white luxeon in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
They aren't as bright, but they supposedly have less blue I think... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

JohnnyB

Newly Enlightened

I purchased a Streamlight Junior, and a 4AA Propolymer Streamlight from www.brightguy.com. They are both very white. Of the 2, I think the junior would be a better light for pitch black as it has a wider beam. The propoly is tight and has alot of throw. Both are excellent lights.

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast

tanager2: Welcome to CPF! I hope you're here to stay.

If you really want white LED light, you should be looking for specific bined LEDs. Bin codes explained here . You should be looking for flashlights with LEDs with colour codes of XO, WO or even VO. Personally, I have WO LEDs and an XO LED. Both bins in my opinion are very white! Please note though that even within the same colour classification eg WO, there is some variation and one 'WO' LED may not be as white as another 'WO' LED.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast

Unbounded requirements - like fastest car or whitest light - tend to distort the solutions proposed. Often the customer means something like "fastest practicable", so you can suggest a McClaren F1 instead of the current land speed record holder.

That's a roundabout way of saying that it's not clear what you mean by whitest possible. Most recent design white LED lights are pretty white, but if you're really serious about whitest possible, then you need to look to specific binned Luxeons as eebowler suggests. This limits you to building your own (in AA format) as most custom built select bin lights don't use AA's and are expensive.

Have you looked at any of the common AA/AAA lights and determined that they are not white enough? Nuwai 2xAA 1 watt luxeons ( like this ) have good tints and are good values. Ditto on the Streamlight Jr., the EL XM-3, etc., all of which would serve well for normal walking light use.

matthewdanger

Enlightened

I just picked up a Princeton Tec Yukon HL headlamp from Gander Mountain. I don't know if they are all like mine or if I got an exceptional one, but the 1W side emitter on mine is exceptionally white.

If you are looking for a walking light, then a head lamp might be just what you need.

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened

I vote for either the Elektrolumens XM-3 (2AA) or the Streamlight Prop0lymer Luxeon (4AA).

Grubbster

Enlightened

I would say get a sandwich from the Sandwich Shoppe and put it in a minimag light. That will allow you to choose your bin and use a 2xAA format. They have some nice TWOJ leds and you can choose your power level by the sandwich you choose. If you really want to go all out, you can get one of the HA minimags from the group buy here . Then you can put the sandwich in it.

pec50

Enlightened

Have you considered using a headlamp -- Princeton Tec EOS is a nice AAA affordable light with three levels of brightness. I use this extensively for rural EMT work involving hiking and a requirement for good white light for patient examinations. I understand Princeton Tec will also be coming out with a more powerful version of this light in a standard flashlight form.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

For whiteness, you have one choice but it is a good one! Luxeon lights give the most even and white color out there. Since you want a really lightweight light, the Peak Kino Bay single AA battery powered Luxeon LED light would suit you.

Go to the reviews section and read up on that light, very small works best with a NiMH battery and is pretty much indestructable. If you want to convert it to a headlamp, pick up one of those head straps for minimags...the Kino Bay will slide right in and be much lighter, whiter and brighter than a minimag.

Good Luck!

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

i will second BentHeadTX

Peak LED's 1 AA Rocks.... Especially on NiMH Battery.

Luxman

Enlightened

I will second ViReN (or 3rd BentHeadTX /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif).

IMO Peak LED 1AA has excellent white color and smooth beam.