Walmart trip... two SUPRISES!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I went to get several things including Oil and Filters for the Beast. But I also intended to get a Dorcy Metal Gear 3AAA LUX. I picked to most centered LUX in a silver body and grabbed it. Brighter and Whiter than: Inova XO, XM3 with Lith AAs, Streamlight JR. (get the picture?) and tighter of beam than those others too!

Surprise 1: Dorcy Super 1 WATT 3D! I had seen it at Target before, but it was close to $40! At WW it was but $22.72!!! Loading it up... Rayovac Maximum D cells 2010 exp... tighter spot YET! With decent Corona and nice Spill. Slight blueish tint. OH! Loosening the head a bit gets the Corona integrated with the spot, so tight brighter spot with good spill. Yippee!

Surprise 2: DOUBLE Suprise! The Nite Ize LED module is stocked (and plenty of 'em!) at $4.92. This to me is TOTALLY amazing! LED at a good! price in THE Mainstream store! A guy at work has a stocker MiniM*g that he doesn't use. Bet he will now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

Pretty darn fruitful trip! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Anyone else seen this?

And MAJOR apologies if it has been covered!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I saw the new 6LED replacement for the headbeam headlamp there last trip. They still have the *clearance* of a few things going on but walmart takes forever to drop clearance prices more than 30%.

Steve C

Enlightened
If this is a single LED light about the size of an SF 6P, that takes three AAA batteries in a circular magazine... Sam's has had them for $15.95 for some time. Several times I almost bought one; but wondered, "What would I do with it?" The house and both vehicles are well-stocked, as is the war bag. Guess that means I'm not a true flashoholic...

I saw the EXACT same light in True Value hardware store last week, in True Value packaging, for $32+. Go figure.../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I can hardly imagine how Walmart hasn't hit there.

The last store I know of that isn't a Supercenter has a new SC being built right across the road!

And we have some that aren't 5 miles apart!

Kmart left my area sometime back, but no great loss.

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
The Nite Ize LED module is stocked (and plenty of 'em!) at $4.92

[/ QUOTE ]

The nite Ize LED module like the mini-m@g conversion module /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I wonder if mag will sue, or relize that the Nite Ize proabably increases their profits because people will pick up mini mags just to use the module?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
It's the module that I paid $6.99 for at Frys. A bi-pin Minim*g drop in roughly similar to the beloved Opalec NewBeam! I have yet to see a minim*g that wasn't improved greatly with a Led (or LEDs!).

Hell of a thing at at a hell of a price!

newo

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Trashman said:
Any ideas about those Nite-Ize running on a 14500?

[/ QUOTE ]

At under $5 a pop, I'd give it a try. In fact, the next time I'm at a Wally World, I'll pick one up. The worst thing that will happen is magic smoke and, well, I've never actually seen the magic smoke everyone talks about . . . .

matthewdanger

Enlightened
I have checked both of my local wally worlds and neither of them has any of the Metal Gears or NiteIze modules. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
That's how I figure it boosted, though I am by NO MEANS an expert! If you run it on NimH, you should get a fairly flat discharge curve.

Update: Both lights (Metal Gear and Super 1 Watt) have genuine Lumiled HIGH DOME Luxs!!!

DAMN Good stuff for the money!

PrimiToad

Newly Enlightened
Perhaps I'm too privitive (I changed my name on this board to primitoad) to know better but I bought both the Metal Gear Dorcy at Wal-Mart and the 3 D cell Dorcy super 1 watt at Target and found them both to be excellent. Both of them are pure white and had no sign of blue tint; just very white. Granted I had to closely examine both for a centered LED but both units amaze me. After getting the super 1 watt model, my 2D and 4D Maglites simply cannot compare.

I realize that Maglite is the Pioneer or Yamaha of flashlights while Surefire and Streamlight are the Krell or Mark Levinson of flashlights. I use this analogy because a person who likes the sound of and is content with mass market Japanese audio gear such as Pioneer or Yamaha probably wouldn't be after hearing Krell or Levinson gear.
So if I were to play with a Surefire or Streamlight unit, I'd probably never be happy with a Maglite or Dorcy ever again.

[ QUOTE ]
...Dorcy Super 1 WATT 3D! I had seen it at Target before, but it was close to $40! At WW it was but $22.72!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought one of those 3D cell super 1 watt units at Target Friday and it rung up as $24.95.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Just got back frmo WalMart with a Dorcy MetalGear 1 watt and I agree. Nice white beam! And it uses common batteries so I can give it to a relative with the confidence that it will get fed when it's hungry.

Couldn't find the Nite-Eyze kit though.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought the nite ize led kit but returned it the next day, not bright enough, didn't like it. Havent seen that metal gear AAA Luxeon here at will check again.

AlexGT

JoeBob

Newly Enlightened
Okay, back from Wallyworld.
No D cell Dorcys.
No Niteize modules.
One Metal Gear light that had the reflector partially covering the led. Pass.
I will have to scan the 3D model at the local Target to see what price it rings up for