Opinions wanted on this light...UPDATED

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anybody own this light:

www.amondotech.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=942

I've read the reviews on Craig's and Doug's sights, but I'd like to have the opinion of somebody who actually uses one on a regular basis as to what you think. I'm considering getting one as my duty belt carry light...Thanx in advance for any input!

PJD

I ordered one from AmondoTech and received it today...see my comments below.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Opinions wanted on this light...

I have the 5 watt version. It's bright and rugged. Personally, I think a Surefire L4 is better (especially with a two-stage switch). Thats just my opinion on the 5 watt version.

Jeff

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast

...anybody else? This is the "Tactical" model with 1 brightness level and a good old fashioned "non-reverse" clickie switch...

PJD

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have the 5 watt version of that light, too. The one I've got uses 3 cr123's. I use it more than any other light. It's really durable and gives tons of light. I'd guess that one would have comparable performance in a 3 watt package. The lense/reflector isn't easily separated from the bezel (I've never removed mine).

A two stage switch for the L4? High and Low from the rear clickie? That's interesting info. I've thought a lot about getting either the L2 or L4, but I can't decide between the 2 stages of the L2, or the clickie of the L4 (I prefer a clickie)....a two stage clickie might make the choice easier. A two stage clickie for the L2, if available, would be even better. I'll have to look into that.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you prefer it in black, it's available as the Essential Gear 332L on eBay for a few dollars more.

Luxman

Enlightened

PJD,
In your tactical application - I can understand that you probably do not want a "reverse" clicky but does it matter to you if it has 2 brightness levels?

Another possibility, maybe a little more expensive, is the Nuwai TM-301X-3, the 2x123 version of the QIII. Its a 2 level "reverse" clicky...but you could substitute the tail cap from a QIII or Goldserve possibly could modify it to have normal momentary. It has a nice bright white beam with good throw and spill...
[I have 3 QIIIs, about 6 weeks old, and they all have normal momentary clicky]

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just keep reality in mind here. I have yet to see a Lux III put 80 lumens out of the front of a flashlight, regardless of brand. (This is based on a testing rig made by CPF gadget_lover and used by many CPFrs at local meets on many lights) It might not be impossible, but I have not seen it yet. I think more like 30 - 40 lumens for Lux III lights is more realistic. 30 Lumens is a respectable amount of light, but it isn't 80.

80 Lumens is really more Lux V territory. If you do manage to find a Lux III light putting out 80 Lumens, it will not run 3 hours on 2 x 123s.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Luxman said:
PJD,
In your tactical application - I can understand that you probably do not want a "reverse" clicky but does it matter to you if it has 2 brightness levels?

Another possibility, maybe a little more expensive, is the Nuwai TM-301X-3, the 2x123 version of the QIII. Its a 2 level "reverse" clicky...but you could substitute the tail cap from a QIII or Goldserve possibly could modify it to have normal momentary. It has a nice bright white beam with good throw and spill...
[I have 3 QIIIs, about 6 weeks old, and they all have normal momentary clicky]

[/ QUOTE ]

Luxman...I did in fact own a "Mother of QIII" (TM-301X-3) at one time. I recently sold it to a coworker...the reason the 332L looks so appealing is because it has a "regular" type clickie switch (partial push for temporary activation), and a smooth reflector. I prefer the increased throw of a smooth reflector. While the 301X-3 is a nice light, I was pretty disappointed in the throw...I wasn't expecting a "throw monster" when I got it, but I did expect more. Quickbeam's site listed the throw rating of the 301X-3 as somewhere around 31,and an EL XM-3 as 21. My EL XM-3 noticeably out-threw my 301X-3. Maybe I got a dud with that particular Nuwai, but I really want a true clickie switch with my next duty belt light. It makes counting a dorm full of inmates easier when you're going from cell to cell looking through windows. I know that the 80 lumen figure stated on the Amondotech website is GROSSLY overrated, but a properly focused 40 lumens is plenty in most instances where I work. I'll probably go ahead and get a 332L (...I'll "take one for the team"), and let y'all know my impressions after it arrives. Thanx for the input!

Harry...actually, the 332L gets only about an hour and a half of regulated output on a set of 123's according to Quickbeam (once again overstated by the manufacturer to 3 hours). I figure at an hour and a half, it IS driving the luxIII pretty hard. I'm sure it's still nowhere near 80 lumens, but it SHOULD be fairly respectable...we'll see, I guess!

PJD

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, I picked one of these up from AmondoTech, and I hafta say that I think it's well worth the $35 I paid for it... Quickbeam's review was right on the money! I'd said earlier that I prefer smooth reflectors for the extra throw, but in the case of this particular light I'm gonna hafta eat my words. If there's one area that could use improvement it's the beam. It's not "bad", but some texturing on the reflector would really improve it. The beam color is VERY white and definitely on the cool side. The TM-301-X3 I had (Mother of QIII) had a throw rating of 31...the same as the 332L. In my observations, the 332L does out-throw the 301-X3 by a noticeable amount, probably due to the smooth reflector. The head of the 332L srarts to get warm within a couple minutes of it being turned on, so I'd say that the heat-sinking is pretty good. The switch feels pretty good as well; it seems to give just the right amount of resistance when turned on...not too stiff, not too soft. The 332L feels really good in hand, and all things considered I'm quite pleased with it! As a Corrections Officer, it puts out plenty of light for my needs. It has good throw, good spill, and very nice beam tint. For the $$, I think it's a good buy...as always, YMMV!

PJD