tunnel effect

laserbass

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys.
I'm looking for lens making the tunnel-effect on my leadlight.
Does anyone know if there are lens like that and where can I buy from?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I don't know if this effect is achievable via a lens. You'd need the laser to project an annular (doughnut-shaped) beam, then have the observer stand in the dark central area to see the "tunnel" effect.

I've been able to make this effect with a simple X-Y scanner (specifically, the azimuth adjustment assembly from an old laser disc drive; an open-loop galvo might also do the trick here), feeding both the X and Y axis with the same signal, but having one of the two axes fed that signal 90° or 180° (I forget which) out of phase with the other. This simple setup will produce the annular beam necessary for this effect.

A holographic "lens" may work here (if such a critter even exists); but the laser may still produce a weak beam in the center, making it somewhat unwise for an observer to stand there and look toward the laser to view the "tunnel" effect.

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tunnel is the easiest of effects. Mount a small mirror on the end of a motor, reflective surface about 90deg to the shaft. The more off of 90deg the larger the tunnel.

[[[MOTOR]]]--| <-----LASER
___________Mirror

Jeff

laserbass

Newly Enlightened
Yes WildRice, I've already made in that way, but I wanted it as like as "portable" effect assembled directly on my greenie

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh.... use a small motor???? mabyee a pager motor and a really small mirror. out from laser to stationary mirror back toward pointer to rotating mirror.

As far as an optic... I have seen a defraction grating from one of those dollar pointer sets that made a circle. Not sure how well it would work tho... as the power is divided to all the circle points, as comapred to full power traveling the circle.

Good Luck

Jeff