SF M6 produce really white light?

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the SF M6 produce a white light similar to LED ?

cy

Flashaholic
Yes with JS's M6R pack. beam is brite and white due to regulation via pulse width modulation by Willie Hunt's driver.

full brightness is maintained for entire run of 20 minutes with NM21 Hola. or 40 minutes with M3 hola. 50 mill-second delay to soft start bulb.

Construction and engineering by JS is world class! M6R takes Surefire M6 to another level of performance. Too bad once this run is done, there will be no more.

9 nmh cells are used in this hi-discharge pack. NMH is safer to charge and use VS hi-discharge li-ion packs with larger li-ion in series.

Sure would be neat if PK incorporates this design into Surefire M6.

m6r.JPG

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
As Size15 said. No.

LEDs and Incandescents are two different light sources (apples to oranges.)

This thread made me go to my side yard/backyard and snap some pictures.

Left is what you see, right is HOLA's niceness!
174467021_l.jpg

Jason

cy

Flashaholic
ahhh... that was true until M6R pack came along.

beam is intense white, but different from LED. driving M6's hola with PWM improves beam tremendously.

m6r hola.JPG

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
what do you mean M6R? what's the R stands for? How did you make the M6 to run on NiMH? Is it difficult ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
picard, you need to get the rechargable battery pack which makes it the M6R. Made by CPF member JS.

Doesn't seem hard, connect plugs together, charge, disconnect, put pack into M6, makes M6R /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

EDIT: JS's Battery pack #001

There's a link for more info.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
picard said:
Does the SF M6 produce a white light similar to LED ?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but you won't care! :)

-john

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the M6 heavy, bulky? . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
For its output, no. Its actually smaller and lighter than my Tigerlight.

Here is my M6 next to an E2e (traded) and my Magellan Roadmate 300.

12magellan.jpg

Similar in size (in most cases smaller) than 2D flashlights you can buy at the store for .99 cents.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Picard,

I posted a review of the M6/Tigerlight/Magcharger a couple weeks ago.

I gave sizes, weights, etc. The picture above helps, but for it's size, the M6 kicks butt and takes names!! Short of the USL, which is slightly bigger and heavier, it's the champ of the 2D sized lights until js starts building more Tigerlight mods!

Bill

PS, this is a family forum, and if you would edit your comment above many of us would appreciate it!

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
cy,

You find that your M6-R pack is noticeably whiter than the MB20 battery carrier?

Really?

If so, that is odd. When the batteries are fresh the M6-R pack and the MB20 battery holder should yield exactly the same brightness, whiteness, and total output. That was one of my criteria for setting the regulation output voltage.

Certainly, the batteries will start to dim, especially towards the end of the 20 minutes, whereas the M6-R pack will stay at the same brightness the entire time (19 minutes--not 20, BTW), but it isn't really a noticeable difference in the beginning.

And at any rate, the stock configuration M6 produces a really white light, especially with the MN20 LOLA, and especially when the batteries are less than half depleted.

However, the SF A2 produces an even whiter light, I think, although I haven't done a side-by-side comparison yet.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oops. Forgot the most important, on-topic part:

If by "white" we mean the full spread of wavelengths (colors) which together make up full-spectrum "white light", then neither LED's nor incandescents produce very white light. The incans are shifted to the red and are missing the blues, and the LED's are missing the reds, and thier spectral curves do not follow a black-body radiator curve, which is what the eye expects, and which corresponds to what is known as the Color Rendering Index (CRI).

If by "white" you mean that ghostly, eerie glow emitted from LED's, then no, incans are noticeably yellowy and warm.

Latest posts