Reflector for incan MiniMag?

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the thousands of incan MM's we all own, why hasn't anyone come up with good replacement reflector?

A nice, small MOP reflector would be great!!

I mean, I've found great replacement lamps, (the lamp from the Streamlight TTL1 is awesome with Li AA's!) but that little tiny shallow reflector could use some help.

Bill

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe, when Auroralite comes out with the kit/instructions for modding the MM with a TL-3 bulb, there will be enough need for them that fivemega will get 'em made. Does the TTL1 melt the existing reflector?

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll try the Q3, but most of the LED reflectors don't work because they are optimized for the light source placed at the base, while an incan is higher in the reflector.

Bill

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do remember AW mentioning his MM mod used a cutdown Q3 reflector. Not sure how or which way they cut it down, though. He said it was perfect in that it retain the MM's focusing ability.

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Hi, all.

I have finally completed DIY TL3 bulb Minimag mod over last weekend(finally got home and got all my parts together), and the metal reflector I have used/modded is the McR20 and it works like a charm for TL3. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Right now I am still testing the mod to see whether there is any issues before including it in the DRG for Minimag mod. As for AW, he did modded a QIII reflector to fit into the Minimag head, but there is a lot more work involved than modding a McR20 in 20 minutes.

IMHO, unlike it's Mag D relative which the larger reflector might bring out the artifacts of the light source, I think the reflector is so small in minimag that even the LOP on McR20 had already doing a good job removing most artifacts.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where are the q-III reflectors available? I'm having some MM's getting anodized right now and I don't want to machine them after just getting coated.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have modded the heads to accept 20mm reflectors, but the mentioned reflectors all have a point of focus significantly below where the incan bulb places the filament.

The mentioned reflectors all are designed for LED's with essentially a 180 degree light source at the base. Reflectors for incans have to account for the 360 degress radiation of the filament, thus the filament is placed much higher in the reflector.

None of them work very well for incans, because either they require you to pull the filament way down in the body, or you can't even make that much adjustment.

One idea would be to cut off a significant portion of the reflector, which is my next step.

Bill

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
If there is enough demand for them, maybe fivemega can have an exact copy of the stock reflector made only in aluminum and LOP or MOP.

Auroralite, the kit you're planning on offering, is a reflector going to be included?

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Bill,

Very good and valid point, there is no doubt some part of the beam could be wasted when the focal point is at the opening of the reflector.

One interesting thing I have observed when I put the TL3 bulbed Minimag next to a G2Z P60(65 lumens?) is that the minimag's beam(with the modded McR20) way surpass the P60 beam in a longer distance (~12 feet, brighter spot and more light in corona), but not as much in a close range. I think it probably has something to do with focal point and how the beam is projected.

Let us know if you have any discovery. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Trashman,

Ideally, yes, and right now we are trying to come up with an solution that is decent in quality but also affordable at the same time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
The stock reflector leaves something to be desired, especially with higher output bulbs, so hopefully someone can come up with a better solution.

I have contacted a well known designer and he assures me that we can get it done, but that it requires an investment of 500 reflectors.

Any takers?

Bill