Auto Battery Charger for 12V GelCel?

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

Can I use a 12V Car battery charger to charge a 12 V Gel Cel? any precautions I should take?
I'm assuming I should put it on the lowest setting (which is 1 Amp)

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Zaki,

A lot depends on the size of the battery and the charger. I know that the new generation smart chargers with multiple stages used on marine batteries have two settings for gel or standard lead acid. If youare talking about a small 7 Ah battery, you would be better off with one of the small regulated chargers used by the alarm systems and emergency lighting systems.

- Don

carbonsparky

Enlightened
yea, size is a factor. Most car battery chargers put out to much current for small batteries. Your 1 amp setting may be low enough. Check the specs for your battery. They will give you the maximum charge rate. SLA's run pretty close to regular lead batteries voltage wise, so the charger should be okay that way. You can get chargers for motorcycle batteries that may be closer to what you need. Wal-Mart has one that even comes with a molex to ring lug harness to connect to you battery. You might also check the kiddie electric car section out. I believe some of those use 12 volt SLA's and you might find a replacement charger. The only precaution other than current is , don't leave in on the charger for long periods of time. Over charging for extended periods will shorten the battery life.