Any comments on Terralux Ministar for MiniMag?

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all!

I bought a Nite-ize 3led replacement head for the MiniMag 2AA and it's so dissapointing!!! I am going to return it today to the store and want to replace the bulb of the MiniMag with something brighter and Luxeon based, How does This luxeon setup perform? I want to install lithium AA on it and have it in the car, any problems using lithium? What tint of white is the beam? What bin are the Luxeons? Pros and cons?

Thanks, just don't want to purchase another POS (Not implying these are)like the one I'm returning.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alex-

From my experience I am afraid you might be disappointed again. I have not seen the Nite-Ize mod, but I have the TerraLux MiniStar2 installed on one of my Minimags.

The beam quality is not good. Full of rings and artifacts. Yes, the focus function still works, but its only use IMO is to find the best beam quality position and leave it there. I added a Kroll clickie tailcap so I did not have to mess with the focus.

What I ended up doing is replacing the lens with an LDF from flashlightlens.com. This smooths out the beam nicely and makes a very good flood/reading light. Now I have a $40+ Minimag.

My recommendation: Skip either of these mods and buy the Streamlight Jr. Luxeon. Decent beam, better throw, built in clickie and holster for under $30.

A much better light in every way IMO.

Mark

litho123

Enlightened
I just purchased the Nite-Ize 3LED replacement. I compared it to the MJLED.

NI is whiter . . . MJLED tends towards blue
NI is flood . . . .MJLED has better spill/hotspot
NI is 4.92 . . . . MJLED is 5.00

The NI is an improvement over a stock minimag, but for my 5.00 I'd go for the MJLED instead.

For the additional money you'd put into the Terralux, Flash-Gordon suggestion (SL jr) would be a better choice than the MJLED and the Terralux.

just my 2 cents...

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Flash!

I didn't know about that little light, sounds like a really nice light, probably will get that instead and give away the minigag.

AlexGT

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to agree with Flash_Gordon, the beam is shocking for
a Luxeon mod, The Terralux Microstar does have a better beam
at slightly less brightness, I currently use on in my MiniMag, still not perfect but much better then the Ministar

rick88

Newly Enlightened
Have to agree with the other guys - I just got a Streamlight Jr & it's wwaaayy better that my Microstar2 (TLE-10). Brightguy has a special on the older version for $23 http://www.brightguy.com/detail_int.php?Sku=STR71500X3
It runs for 1.5 hrs on alkalines instead of 4 hrs for the newer version, but is a little brighter. And you get that warranty.

Emilion has a 2AA 3W clone in the Dealer's thread, but don't know how well it runs on alkalines. He also has a 1-CR123 3W clone, that might be better for keeping in a car.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
From other recent posts both the SL Lux Jr and the ministar 2 is being updated. At this time it's a tossup whether you get the old model or the new one.

IIRC:

The Luxeon Jr. s getting full regulation with increase in runtime from 2 to 4 hours. I belive Brightguy is introducing the new one and putting the old stock on sale.

Terralux is introducing a high dome instead of the side emitter. So far only 'quickbeam' over at flashlight reviews have seen one. He has updated his review to include beamshots of both versions.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I added a Terralux Ministar and a Kroll to my wife's old MiniM/\g and it was a worthwhile addition. It can't compete with some of the other drop-ins but it's a huge improvement over a stock MM. Brighter. Whiter. Much better runtime. No bulb to burn out.